Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Great HOV Sticker Hack (making your HOV stickers removable)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

commasign

TeslaAdviceBlog.com
Aug 31, 2013
Davis, CA
I think this has been described in other threads, but here is a complete step by step guide. I think this is the ultimate solution to having HOV stickers in the correct position on your car, yet not damaging your paint or PPF (i.e. removable). Note, this assumes your HOV stickers are black and white. If your HOV stickers are other colors, this might still work if you have access to a color copier.

Items needed:

- blank vinyl sticker sheets (Amazon.com - Vinyl Oasis - Inkjet Printable Peel -)
- laminating sheets (Amazon.com: Avery Self-Adhesive Laminating Sheets, 9 x 12 Inches, Box of 50 (73601): Office Products)
- scissors
- photocopy machine
- HOV stickers

Step 1: Photocopy your HOV stickers onto the blank vinyl sheets. The sheets are designed for inkjet, but I was able to use my laser copier (just don't touch the print as the toner isn't very adherent). You should be able to fit all stickers on one sheet.
Step 2: Immediately place a laminating sheet on top of the just-printed copy.
Step 3: Cut out the copied HOV stickers.
Step 4: Place copied HOV stickers on your car per the DMV instructions. Keep your originals somewhere safe.

The 3rd pictures shows the original sticker at the top and the copied sticker at the bottom. Obviously the hologram effect is gone, and the copied sticker is a bit brighter white than the original, but I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference (especially on the highway). As advertised, this vinyl sticker material comes off easily and without any residue.

IMG_3731.JPG
IMG_3730.JPG
IMG_3732.JPG
IMG_3728.JPG
IMG_3729.JPG

Nice step by step guide. I may follow suit. Question. And maybe I missed it. So, you print the copies of the HOV on an adhesive sheet, but then if you put in the laminating sheets, how does it stick on the car? The laminating sheets I'm used to seeing are front and back, so do these Avery laminating sheets allow you to just cover the front?

Thanks!

Nice step by step guide. I may follow suit. Question. And maybe I missed it. So, you print the copies of the HOV on an adhesive sheet, but then if you put in the laminating sheets, how does it stick on the car? The laminating sheets I'm used to seeing are front and back, so do these Avery laminating sheets allow you to just cover the front?

Thanks!

Those laminating sheets he linked are just big clear stickers. So you have a sticker on top of the vinyl sheet.

Neat idea. The HOV stickers have a holographic component so if they got scrutinized they're surely be outed as fakes, but the only time I could see that being an issue is if you get pulled over and can't prove the stickers are your own (with the registration document that links your license plate to the sticker ID numbers).

I do wonder if the ink will run. Over time I would expect that the wind is going to start separating those layers and allow water incursion. Just print a new one, I suppose!

I love the idea. Thanks. But do keep in mind that this is completely illegal in CA. It's technically forging a government document. All you need for for one jerk to notice and it could be trouble. But note that I didn't say I would NOT do it. Or that I would...:eek:

I keep a copy of my registration in the glove compartment, despite the fact that the document says it (the original) must be kept in the car. Is a photocopy of the registration a forgery?

I don't mind keeping everything in the glove box, but I realize the way described above (setting legality aside) is safer than nothing at all. I would want some way for me to easily remove and reapply as needed. I don't drive very often by myself on the freeway for work, but would be nice to be able to slap it on for the day and take it off at the end of the day. Still looking for a way to accomplish this...

I keep a copy of my registration in the glove compartment, despite the fact that the document says it (the original) must be kept in the car. Is a photocopy of the registration a forgery?

Technically, I think yes. However, with the registration, it is very quick to match it to the exact vehicle. And I expect they wouldn't nail you for it. With the stickers, it would be easy to duplicate them and put them on another car and that might make the cops look more closely and get cranky. Yes, you would have the original docs to prove that the sticker belongs to the car. But think of potentially how many cars could be using copies that couldn't be discerned by an officer driving by. Thereby cheating the system. Not sure if I am making complete sense here!

Technically, I think yes. However, with the registration, it is very quick to match it to the exact vehicle. And I expect they wouldn't nail you for it. With the stickers, it would be easy to duplicate them and put them on another car and that might make the cops look more closely and get cranky. Yes, you would have the original docs to prove that the sticker belongs to the car. But think of potentially how many cars could be using copies that couldn't be discerned by an officer driving by. Thereby cheating the system. Not sure if I am making complete sense here!

Why would anyone try to cheat the system? The official stickers (and their replacements if your originals are ever destroyed) are $8 and anyone with an EV can get them. Anyone that tries to put white stickers on an ICE or hybrid would be begging to be pulled over. I really don't see any secondary market for these stickers. It's not like making a backup of a DVD movie or software where there are common dubious reasons for doing so. And anyone who did copy his or her own stickers would have zero incentive for sharing them with others.

if it is the adhesive on the original that is too strong.... why don't you just put the original on the vinyl sicker paper and then cut out and voila, you have the original on the same less sticky vinyl that you made your copy on....... so no problems with legals and no problems for paint on car...... just my two cents

Reactions: bnsfengineer
Probability of being pulled over for driving in HOV lane without stickers by yourself is 0.00000000000001

You really think there's cops sitting on the highway looking for cars with 1 person driving in the car pool lane? no!

• Funny
Reactions: bnsfengineer
Probability of being pulled over for driving in HOV lane without stickers by yourself is 0.00000000000001

You really think there's cops sitting on the highway looking for cars with 1 person driving in the car pool lane? no!

Not sure why you assert this so strongly (maybe it's sarcasm that I missed?): I see them all the time, especially motorcycle cops who pull up next to you by splitting lane and double check the number of occupants.

-- Greg

Not sure why you assert this so strongly (maybe it's sarcasm that I missed?): I see them all the time, especially motorcycle cops who pull up next to you by splitting lane and double check the number of occupants.
That may be, but enforcement does seem light. CA even acknowledges as much, stating the difficulty in enforcing the HOV requirements. Presumably they have a plan for when they start allowing 1 passenger vehicles to pay to access the HOV lanes in the coming years.

I only have a 15 minute commute and I bet I see at least two violations a day.