Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Negotiation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla is bleeding edge technology Razorblade. The uniqueness of this vehicle, the peace of mind from driving it, and of course the cool factor means that Tesla's are sold in a seller's market...I wouldn't expect any sort of price latitude from Tesla until the uniqueness, technology, supply chain, and coolness factors have some realistic competition...could take years...:biggrin:

The Tesla is bleeding edge technology Razorblade. The uniqueness of this vehicle, the peace of mind from driving it, and of course the cool factor means that Tesla's are sold in a seller's market...I wouldn't expect any sort of price latitude from Tesla until the uniqueness, technology, supply chain, and coolness factors have some realistic competition...could take years...:biggrin:

:frown: not even 5%? I hate buying stuff without discount ;-)

While I agree that the lease-the-Roadster-until-your-S-ships lease offer was a fantastic move on Tesla's part, I am surprised to hear you call it a good deal.

I was shocked by the nearly $10,000 initial capital reduction.

I guess I am traditionally of the $0 cap reduction mind-set. $1,000 maybe. But $10,000? I understand it's a pricey car, but dang that is a lot of money up in smoke. And oddly enough, even after that cap reduction, the monthly payments were not as low as advertised on the promotional material.

Maybe you guys were quoted different numbers?

Regarding price negotiation, when you buy a Roadster you are buying directly from the manufacturer, not some independent middleman who can adjust margins to take customers from other independent dealers. Tesla prices aren't MSRP numbers padded to allow margins for dealer profits and competition. Also Tesla doesn't have some backlog of inventory they need to get rid of by the end of the month.

For the same reason, you are also a lot less likely to have to deal with a slimy know-nothing sales drone who is just trying to stuff you into a car and send you on your way.

If you're walking into a Tesla store, you should think of it more like an Apple store than a car dealership: smart sales people who are knowledgeable instead of pushy and don't expect wiggle room on pricing.

I like the deal for a myriad of reasons...mostly because I can secure a Roadster now, and take a couple of years to convince "she who must be obeyed" that we should keep the Roadster even after the S car is delivered...:wink::biggrin:

While I agree that the lease-the-Roadster-until-your-S-ships lease offer was a fantastic move on Tesla's part, I am surprised to hear you call it a good deal.

I was shocked by the nearly $10,000 initial capital reduction.

I guess I am traditionally of the $0 cap reduction mind-set. $1,000 maybe. But $10,000? I understand it's a pricey car, but dang that is a lot of money up in smoke. And oddly enough, even after that cap reduction, the monthly payments were not as low as advertised on the promotional material.

Maybe you guys were quoted different numbers?

If you're walking into a Tesla store, you should think of it more like an Apple store than a car dealership:

When I brought my FX a dash replacement just two day before my warranty was to expire the dealership listed off a bunch of other repairs that were common problems with the car and asked if I wanted them "fixed". Since it was no cost to me and some of them might act up next week I had them do all the list.

Advantage of the dealer/maker relationship for the car owner is they want the labor money from the manufacturer for warranty work and for owners it means free repairs.