Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request - someone with the Tesla Front Console, some questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done my fair share of complaining about the lack of interior storage, but having lived with this little number for a short while I realized that we still have room for my wife's purse, or a bag of chinese food, etc., on top of the storage.

So I'm curious - what's the height of the Tesla Front Console, especially towards the rear? Can you still put a purse or bag on top of it and not block the screen? If so, it's really a terrific solution as it provides all of the storage and organization and cup-holding people like me need, but still permits use of that big space for a bag.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I haven't taken a tape to it, but I believe that it is approx 6-7 in higher than the top of the existing side panels to the open space. It is also relatively level. Not nearly as swoopy as the EVannex one, which I personally do not think is executed nearly as well. You could technically place a purse on top of it, if you did not have your phone plugged in. Might still be able to, but I would worry about tweaking the phone and braking the connector. Though I don't know if it would flip over in a corner and land on the floor. I am a guy, and no man bags here! I love the thing. Looks like it belongs and it holds an immense amount of stuff, given it's size. I really like having the cup holders down in front, as opposed to always in the way of my elbow. In front of the two almost infinitely adjustable cup holder things, there is at least ten more inches of space toward the front of the car that anything could go in. I like the adjustable cup holders because I can rearrange them for various sized items to keep them from rattling around. I got the piano black flip cover for the phone area, even though I have Obeche matte finish, because I leave it open all the time, so I can't even see the cover. When it is rarely closed, it does not look out of place at all. Aside from the exorbitant price, I love everything about it and in the end it has been worth the money, since there is nowhere to put anything. And I carry almost nothing in the car!

I also have found that, since the space between the two front seats is fairly wide, I have no problem dropping my 12x12x10 camera bag right behind the center console when I get it. It magically doesn't seem to slide or roll around much and I live on very curvy roads. I did add Lloyd's premium mats, which may provide more grip.

One last thing: Rather than use one of the USB ports for my iPhone power connection, I just happened to have a very compact 12V USB adapter that plugs in easily (plantains, I think). The supplied Tesla phone cable just reaches it perfectly, allowing me to use both USBs and it looks pretty good. I really never use a 12V outlet, so it works just fine for me.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for this input... I have the carbon fiber interior, and you still can't get that one... the piano black is available, but I was concerned with the look. You helped me solve that problem.

I haven't taken a tape to it, but I believe that it is approx 6-7 in higher than the top of the existing side panels to the open space. It is also relatively level. Not nearly as swoopy as the EVannex one, which I personally do not think is executed nearly as well. You could technically place a purse on top of it, if you did not have your phone plugged in. Might still be able to, but I would worry about tweaking the phone and braking the connector. Though I don't know if it would flip over in a corner and land on the floor. I am a guy, and no man bags here! I love the thing. Looks like it belongs and it holds an immense amount of stuff, given it's size. I really like having the cup holders down in front, as opposed to always in the way of my elbow. In front of the two almost infinitely adjustable cup holder things, there is at least ten more inches of space toward the front of the car that anything could go in. I like the adjustable cup holders because I can rearrange them for various sized items to keep them from rattling around. I got the piano black flip cover for the phone area, even though I have Obeche matte finish, because I leave it open all the time, so I can't even see the cover. When it is rarely closed, it does not look out of place at all. Aside from the exorbitant price, I love everything about it and in the end it has been worth the money, since there is nowhere to put anything. And I carry almost nothing in the car!

I also have found that, since the space between the two front seats is fairly wide, I have no problem dropping my 12x12x10 camera bag right behind the center console when I get it. It magically doesn't seem to slide or roll around much and I live on very curvy roads. I did add Lloyd's premium mats, which may provide more grip.

One last thing: Rather than use one of the USB ports for my iPhone power connection, I just happened to have a very compact 12V USB adapter that plugs in easily (plantains, I think). The supplied Tesla phone cable just reaches it perfectly, allowing me to use both USBs and it looks pretty good. I really never use a 12V outlet, so it works just fine for me.

I hope this helps.

That sounds interesting - could you take a pic of your setup so I can understand what you mean?

An advantage of using the power port for the USB charging instead of the Tesla USB port is that you can use a high power charger, for those devices that support the faster charger rates. The Tesla USB ports provide less power.

How did that storage "console" from amazon work out for you? I might just end up getting one for our Tesla and save $600 lol.
I've done my fair share of complaining about the lack of interior storage, but having lived with this little number for a short while I realized that we still have room for my wife's purse, or a bag of chinese food, etc., on top of the storage.

So I'm curious - what's the height of the Tesla Front Console, especially towards the rear? Can you still put a purse or bag on top of it and not block the screen? If so, it's really a terrific solution as it provides all of the storage and organization and cup-holding people like me need, but still permits use of that big space for a bag.

Thanks.

How did that storage "console" from amazon work out for you? I might just end up getting one for our Tesla and save $600 lol.
They also have it at Walmart FYI if you want to take a look at it in person and for easier returns:
Diono Travel Pal Automobile Storage Bin - Walmart.com

It works fine, but it's obviously not befitting of this car. It was my experiment to know if the $600 console is for me or not. After 24 hours my wife and I were saying YES WE NEED THE CONSOLE to each other loudly. Having places to put stuff and a cupholder down there is fantastic.

That sounds interesting - could you take a pic of your setup so I can understand what you mean?

FullSizeRender.jpg

This pic is the USB/12V adapter plugged into the socket with the Tesla supplied iP6 cable. When I have both of USB sticks in stalled, I really can't see the cable as it lies below them.
FullSizeRender_1.jpg

This is the two items separated for a better view. Note how short the cable is. That's fully extended.
FullSizeRender_2.jpg

This last one shows how it came after installation by TM. One design fail I noted, though not huge, is that the cable must be plugged in essentially upside down, with the cable facing up. Not a big deal, but I would have designed it with the cable going down and thereby less intrusive.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! Super helpful now I totally understand your setup. It's a good idea since what else are we using the cigarette lighter 12v plug for but a phone anyway?
This last one shows how it came after installation by TM. One design fail I noted, though not huge, is that the cable must be plugged in essentially upside down, with the cable facing up. Not a big deal, but I would have designed it with the cable going down and thereby less intrusive.
Ahh, that's a weird choice of cable by Tesla for sure. Looks like a cheap angle adapter might do great to give you a little extra slack in the cable too, like this number:
VUPN6745.jpg

Real quick, center console is a must for a guy. Woman have their purses so it's less of an issue. Most naysayers just don't know any better. However, be very careful with the iPhone 6 and P85/D. I had my nexus 5 whip back and bend both the charging port on the phone and the connector itself. There is no support either side to side or back to front to keep the phone secure under such conditions.

I have had no problems with my P85+ so far. My iPhone is comfy and cosy the whole time. It's a bit hard to get it inserted, but once done, it is firmly planted.

Real quick, center console is a must for a guy. Woman have their purses so it's less of an issue. Most naysayers just don't know any better. However, be very careful with the iPhone 6 and P85/D. I had my nexus 5 whip back and bend both the charging port on the phone and the connector itself. There is no support either side to side or back to front to keep the phone secure under such conditions.

I see that you have fabric seats. I am planning to buy later this year and have been leaning toward grey leather, partly because I haven't seen a fabric version and thought maybe no one was actually buying that version.

Are you pleased with the choice?

I would suggest searching the forum for "vegan seats" and you will find many sharing their experiences with the seats. While I also plan to get gray leather, fabric seat owners have been largely pleased with their decision.