Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lighter Shade of Blue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upon commenting to a Tesla employee about the mostly dark S colors (including a reference to the since discontinued brown and green colors), I was told that a lighter shade of blue is on the way. I hope that: 1) this is indeed true; 2) that it will be available on the X as well.

I used to have an Estoril Blue BMW M Roadster. I thought that was a gorgeous blue (obviously; I bought one). A blue like that would be very appealing to me, despite my mad love for the MC Red.

I loved Estoril on the E36 and M coupe/roadster, but having seen it on the F30, I don't think it works as well on bigger cars.

I'd prefer something darker and deeper, like the blue Laurent has on his car. Not sure what paint he went with, but in pics it's very similar to VW's Rising Blue or Porsche's Cobalt Blue. In BMW world, that's more like Montego.

Montego:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42246&stc=1&d=1160635852

Rising:

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/71298021.jpg

Cobalt:

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/245247.jpg

Laurent's car:

Model S Photo Gallery - Page 4

Last edited:

It's hard to tell true colors when not seeing them in person and in various lighting conditions, but those are almost too light for me.

I very much want a lighter blue, but just a few shades lighter. I like the intensity of dark metallic blue, but not the bluish black we have now.

It's hard to tell true colors when not seeing them in person and in various lighting conditions, but those are almost too light for me.

I very much want a lighter blue, but just a few shades lighter. I like the intensity of dark metallic blue, but not the bluish black we have now.

Any examples of what you've got in mind from other cars?

The 3 I posted (and, from the pictures, Laurent's car, though I haven't seen it in person) could all fairly be described as "electric blue." They are all pretty similar to Subaru's WR Blue Pearl, too.

I like the idea of a slightly deeper blue, I'm just having trouble thinking of one that isn't dark like the one we can already get.

Any examples of what you've got in mind from other cars?

The 3 I posted (and, from the pictures, Laurent's car, though I haven't seen it in person) could all fairly be described as "electric blue." They are all pretty similar to Subaru's WR Blue Pearl, too.

I like the idea of a slightly deeper blue, I'm just having trouble thinking of one that isn't dark like the one we can already get.

I've seen Laurent's car and I think it's stunning. It certainly strikes you as a deep blue. I agree there isn't much point in coming out with a every so slightly lighter blue than the current one.

I'm hoping for something a bit different - not a few shades lighter, but with a bit of aqua in it. I really like Porsche Venetian Blue, and I think it would look nice on the Model S. Here are pictures from a few angles. If custom color ordering was available, this is what I would order tomorrow - and probably with the tan interior.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7a.jpg

8.jpg

I'm hoping for something a bit different - not a few shades lighter, but with a bit of aqua in it. I really like Porsche Venetian Blue, and I think it would look nice on the Model S. Here are pictures from a few angles. If custom color ordering was available, this is what I would order tomorrow - and probably with the tan interior.
It looks nice on the Porsche, but it's not substantially different from our current grey. I hope we get an *actual* blue. Some kind of real departure from the "you can have any color you want as long as it's a shade of grey" choices we have now.

I've said it before: "They currently have (and no offense intended here): white, white, grey, lighter grey, black, basically black, basically black, brown, and red."

And now we don't even have that brown. I really hope they don't trade a "basically black" for a "basically grey."

At the factory yesterday, my DS mentioned that she believes there is a new blue, only slightly different, that she noticed just from observing cars coming through. It's not a new ordering color option.

I got blue, and though I wish it were more like my Volt Topaz Metallic Blue, I am satisified that it shows as blue, though under some conditions it does look too dark.

Wow! That is exactly what I want. That is perfect! :biggrin:

New color(s) are one of the last things I'm waiting for before upgrading to a 85D or P84D.

If they come out with that blue I'm going to have a hard time resisting...

- - - Updated - - -

I got blue, and though I wish it were more like my Volt Topaz Metallic Blue, I am satisfied that it shows as blue, though under some conditions it does look too dark.

The Volt Topaz Metallic Blue is very nice. I would be happy with that.
Blue-bowtie-nose-cropped-560x365.jpg