Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What cars have higher G-forces during acceleration than P85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Average, or instantaneous?

Average G force to 60 mph should match 0-60 time precisely, considering that 'G force' is a way of describing acceleration, and average acceleration is change in speed divided by the time it takes.

I doubt any car much exceeds the P85D acceleration below about 30 mph - which means that since they have higher average accelerations, the few faster cars out there must produce higher accelerations above that speed, where the P85D hits the power limit and the acceleration falls off.
Walter

Porsche 918 can do it, for a price!

0-60 in 2.2 seconds, as tested by Car and Driver:

The 2015 Porsche 918 Spyder Is the Quickest Road Car in the World Car and Driver

The 918's average acceleration from 0-60 is higher than the peak acceleration of the P85D. It's just mind-bogglingly fast. Imagine chopping a full second off the P85D's 0-60 time.

If P85D is "insane" then I don't think there's a word to describe the Porsche 918. Not as much luggage space though!

Yeah... If you pack the Model S/X platform with enough cells to fill-up everything but two seats, you can draw a lot more power from the battery and power a much stronger motor. I think it would be quicker than the 918, although not by much due to the physical limitations of tire performance.

Porsche 918 can do it, for a price!

0-60 in 2.2 seconds, as tested by Car and Driver:

The 2015 Porsche 918 Spyder Is the Quickest Road Car in the World Car and Driver

The 918's average acceleration from 0-60 is higher than the peak acceleration of the P85D. It's just mind-bogglingly fast. Imagine chopping a full second off the P85D's 0-60 time.

If P85D is "insane" then I don't think there's a word to describe the Porsche 918. Not as much luggage space though!

Wow. In fairness, that average is only about 3% higher than the 0-30 of the P85D, but I will admit I wasn't expecting to see even that.

It looks like they achieved it by going to massive $700 super sport rear tires, and then have electric motors to supplement the engine.

Impressive engineering - I just hope they stop catching on fire. :)
Walter

Just based on feel, the Veyron feels a lot faster once it gets rolling, but it doesn't have the initial shove that the P85D has. The transmission takes a fraction of a second to engage and the turbos take a second or two to spool up and by then you're going 30 or so. it just isn't quite as instantaneous as the Tesla. My butt dyno guess is that the Tesla is quicker 0-20 and the Veyron will annihilate it at any speed above that. I doubt the Veyron is ever accelerating at 1.3g. So it's less g, but a much faster car overall. I'd love to see data to prove or disprove my 100% subjective take.

I wonder about the Veyron...