Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer Hitch Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are a handful (a small handful, I'm sure) of Roadster owners with a trailer hitch installed.

I'd like to get one (to install a bike hauler - not to tow) but I'm a bit confused, and have some questions.

1) The main one I'm seeing is made by Curt (#11322) but, every site...including Curt's...lists it as fitting the 2010 (and ONLY the 2010) Roadster. That's wonderful, except mine is a 2011 2.5.

However, the instruction sheet for that specific hitch mount actually spells out the different directions between a 1.5/2.0 and 2.5 installation.

So, will this fit on my 2011 2.5?

2) The instructions say that the trailer hitch instructions should be used "...in conjunction with Tesla Motors instructions and Service Bulletins".

...again, just wonderful and great. Where do I get these?

which leads to question 3

3) Is this something I can have done by my local garage? Seems like a lot of effort to have my Roadster taken into a Tesla Service Center for installation of this (if they'll even do it - since it's an aftermarket accessory)

Do I have to give the local garage any special instructions about putting the car up on a lift or anything?

Here's a thread with plenty of pics of Roadsters with a hitch: Roadster Rear Hitch

I had mine installed at the local Tesla service center. But that was when they (briefly) were offering it as an accessory in the store. The TM instructions are DO NOT USE IT TO TOW. That's basically it. But you're planning on using it for a bike rack, so you're good. (Post 32 shows a closeup of the mods made to accomodate.)

There are specific lift points on the Roadster. Check the user manual for the exact points.

UHaul still lists their trailer hitch for Roadsters. They design in-house and the larger dealers do installs. They seriously know what they are doing, as I've DIY'd several of their hitches.

edit: Just ordered one for $220- free shipping to UHaul regional location. Will be another DIY install. Very nice design: see pdf sheets online. So I guess they still have plenty of stock left for the 2010 2.0. They require 2 small cutouts for the snow/dust box so the pdf sheets are indeed up to date.
--

Last edited: