Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 4 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1472_preview_featured.jpeg

My first attempt for a iPhone 4(and 5 if it fits) adaptor for my Roadster, fresh from my 3d printer. Fits very well.
The original alpine iphone 3 dock connector is just hidden in the console, and the new cable just goes to a standard car charger (I only use BT for audio anyway).

I am working to add some holder arrangement, so the phone stays in place during "fun driving" :)

I like it. Nice job - just one suggestion/question: Did you think of painting or printing it black? It would blend in a lot better. If you want to send one my way, I'd be happy to test it further :wink:

This is just a "draft" print.
I have allready changed the design, and made a larger model that works like a dock. It holds my iphone 5 perfectly in place, and it is easy to insert and remove the phone.
But I need to modify the new design a bit for a better fit into the available space.

I do have black ABS for the printer, so I will print it in black when I am done with the design.

I'll keep you updated, when I am happy with the design I can send you one, no problem.

Here is a render of the new version, very happy with the functionality.
I now use a white draft version. The phone is easy to insert and stays in place. Best phone holder I have ever had!

Will share a better picture once I have compleded it in black.

tesla3_preview_featured.jpg

Both versions are available at thinigiverse for those with access to a 3d printer:
New holder: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:710124
Adapter only: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:708088

Last edited:
That's pretty neat, but will it work with a case? I actually just realized you're designing for the iPhone 5. I have a 6, which is significantly wider so while I appreciate the offer of sending me one, I doubt it would work with my phone.

Keep up the good work, though. I like it. I should take a picture of my set up, but I currently have a lightning cable coming out of that space with some extra slack. Your version is much cleaner.

That's pretty neat, but will it work with a case? I actually just realized you're designing for the iPhone 5. I have a 6, which is significantly wider so while I appreciate the offer of sending me one, I doubt it would work with my phone.

Keep up the good work, though. I like it. I should take a picture of my set up, but I currently have a lightning cable coming out of that space with some extra slack. Your version is much cleaner.

Would be easy to make a wider version for iphone 6, but then I need to raise it up higher, then it will obstruct the Drive button maybe?
I can try it out afterwards.

Hey Shrink, you might check with your local library. I know several of them in Colorado have 3D printers. You can send in your CAD drawing in various formats, select some options, and pick up your printout a day or two later. All for free with a library card. It might be cheaper and faster to get the file from ravng than have him ship the final product.