Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salt Lake City, UT: Wednesday, March 4th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
There is a public hearing re: Tesla at Utah's State Capitol tomorrow (3/4) in Salt Lake City. I have zero details, but will post as soon as I know more.

Obviously very last minute. If you're in the area and can keep your calendar a little clear for tomorrow, please do so.

Sorry for lack of details & short notice, but I thought a 'Save the Date' post might be helpful to some.

Details from Tesla (shared with permission):

Dear Utah Tesla Owners,

I hope this note reaches you well. I understand the hour, but in the event that you are available, Tesla invites you to the State Capitol tomorrow at 8am MT for a public hearing.

House Bill 0394 sponsored by Representative Kim Coleman will enable (NOT disable) Tesla sales in Utah. It will change existing law to allow Tesla to conduct internet sales through our stores and converse with customers unencumbered by restrictions, just as we operate in 30+ states throughout the US.

It is much more difficult to change a law than to keep the status quo, so your presence and support is all the more important to counter the notion that the Dealers truly represent the best interest of consumers.

If you can, there will be a broader discussion that debates the issue tomorrow morning (details below). If you are available and willing, we very much appreciate your presence and participation.

House Business and Labor Standing Committee
Wednesday, March 4th 8:00 AM MT
Room 445 State Capitol

350 N State Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84114

My colleague, Daniel Witt (copied) will be at the State Capitol with our supporters. Please reach him via email (dwitt at teslamotors.com) if you plan to attend.

Many thanks for your support!

Last edited:
I can't recall any other state where they attempted to carve out an exemption by declaring Tesla an "online dealer". It seems like it could potentially be more restrictive than if they took the "electric vehicles only" and "no existing franchisees" approach more common in Tesla exemptions.

Yes, find your state senator & rep. Send a message. Kim Coleman told me she gets emails everyday from all over the state (iow, many not her constituents) and she tries to read every one. It's HB 0394, passed out of the business and labor standards committee 7-5. I don't know how it gets a senate bill#, but should it pass the house, time will be short because they are only in session til Mar 12.

Highlights, tidbits:
Attendees stuck in the hall were let in as other bills were addressed. The room cleared out when they got thru new standards for podiatric certification (or something).
One rep. stated a conflict of interest. I thought, oh great, he's a car dealer. He went on to describe how (and what) he knows about "insane mode" ... Because he has a P85D on order :biggrin: gotta love that. The following committee member to comment said its tough to follow such a commercial! Who says Tesla doesn't do any marketing?! :wink:
Two members said they know "things are going this way" and that that's what they want and expect, with misgivings, like what about all that $investment$ in business infrastructure our local car dealers have to do?
THEN ! - due to time limitation, the chair said he'd allow 4 public comments 2 for, 2 against. The 2nd 'for' sat down and said, "I don't know a thing about cars." and proceeded to read section 20 article 12 (or vice versa) of the Utah State Constitution. Paraphrasing: Thou Shalt Not Interfere with the Conduct of Business within the State - then he said, "business is a risk . . ."
brought tears to my eyes - who was that guy!!? I honestly think he might have swayed it. (& no, there isn't actually any "thou shalts":rolleyes: in the document (I think)).
Someone moved to adjourn at 10 am, voted down. Bill passed out of committee at about 10:03.

House might be difficult, car dealers are powerful here, but today really gave me reason to be optimistic. ML

Last edited:
Ok kids, so I looked it up, which was painful cuz it's 51 pages and I'm just an old hippie you know. :wink:

Article XII, Section 20. [Free market system as state policy -- Restraint oftrade and monopolies prohibited.] It is the policy of the state of Utah that a free market system shall govern tradeand commerce in this state to promote the dispersion of economic and political powerand the general welfare of all the people. Each contract, combination in the form of trustor otherwise, or conspiracy in restraint of trade or commerce is prohibited. Except asotherwise provided by statute, it is also prohibited for any person to monopolize,attempt to monopolize, or combine or conspire with any other person or persons tomonopolize any part of trade or commerce.

You lawyer types, and everyone else, Enjoy! ML