Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zetsche: Autos to See Next Stage of Battery Technology, partnership with Tesla.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much Tesla fan as I am, we should give credit to / listen to Daimler as their mentality IMHO is not like GMs non-visionary, conservative, status-quo loving mentality. It's weird how he never mentions full electric cars being a "thing" in the next 5 years. Although we always argue 200 miles of real world range with a fast charging network is enough for all, this attitude of Daimler can be a reality check for us. Model 3 and alike cars could carve like a 10% share of the entire automobile market in the next decade and that would be a huge success yes but it is difficult to make people, especially old people, give their habits up. Some may feel restrained because of a slower re-fueling,(charging) less range automobile. It is always difficult and painful to change the status quo.

we'll see how things go obviously and if Model 3 and alike cars can carve 10% out of the global market share that is a giant success IMO. However the reality check is, even with the Model 3 Tesla will be a premium country and not every car we see out the road today will be a piece of junk in the next 10 years. Maybe in the next 25 years but definitely not 10.

It most curtain like the smartphone revolution did by Apple. First year ≈1million sold, how many are sold now? Even my dad has one but he hasn't figured it out yet even though my 4 year old niece is using it so easily.

When the motor ppl realies what benefits it has they will "all" make the switch. Ppl change perception if someone they trust has one and is content with it. Hear from all Tesla owners how many cars they "sold".
We need a lot more batteries than the GF..

I really hopes this pan out great for Tesla. I hate the smell of exhaust on my morning stroll. The smell of something that is cancerogenic and is the cause for many of the deaths in modern society. And I live in Malmö in Sweden that is not so heavily populated. Cant understand why car manufactures are against a better world? Invest now collect the fruit when ripe..

As much Tesla fan as I am, we should give credit to / listen to Daimler as their mentality IMHO is not like GMs non-visionary, conservative, status-quo loving mentality.
You're so right. After all, it was Daimler that made the first widely available plugin hybrid with full battery-only performance capability and that still provides twice the all electric range of any other plugin hybrid. And it was Daimler that licensed and aggressively invested in next generation NMC lithium-rich battery technology from Argonne Labs. And Lithium solid-state battery technology through early investments in Sakti3. And yet again, it was Daimler that is leading the way alongside Tesla towards producing a 200 mile EV with a price tag under $40,000 MSRP.

Oh, wait... I guess that was GM.

Daimler just put out some me-too short-range hybrid plugins and outsourced to Tesla for a compliance car powertrain rather late in the game.

Daimler will have 10 plug-in hybrid models in 2017. Currently they have 2 plug-in hybrid models (C350 and S500).

Daimler is just waiting till battery technology will get to a higher level. And that's when they will really step into the EV game. They certainly do have a game-plan.

Zetsche revealed very little in that interview, and no specifics about Daimler's relationship with Tesla except that it seems he will not be a customer for batteries built in the Gigafactory...unless he is a customer.

The interviewers question about Musk focusing on battery production instead of R&D was foolish: of course Tesla is well aware of new battery technologies, but they are smart enough to focus on building up large scale production of a proven battery type to use in the near term. If something significantly better comes along they will be open to using it.

Well, as long as the marketshare of PHEV and BEV is below 1%, that might indeed be a good plan (financially). Although Norway seems to be an exception.

Good point, but what about the day the markedshere of PHEV og BEV "explodes" and they have no model to meet that demand?

Yes, today Norway is an exception, but I sure hope that it shows what will happen everywhere later... In February BEV had a marketshare of about 18-20% here....

- Year to date 1 of 5 Norwegians selected EV when they buy a new car. If the government continues EV policy, we expect that the increase will continue throughout the year, says Christina Bu, General Secretary of Norwegian electric vehicle association.
(google translate)

(Note: when we talk about EV, it's BEV only -- PHEV is an another category)

You're so right. After all, it was Daimler that made the first widely available plugin hybrid with full battery-only performance capability and that still provides twice the all electric range of any other plugin hybrid. And it was Daimler that licensed and aggressively invested in next generation NMC lithium-rich battery technology from Argonne Labs. And Lithium solid-state battery technology through early investments in Sakti3. And yet again, it was Daimler that is leading the way alongside Tesla towards producing a 200 mile EV with a price tag under $40,000 MSRP.

Oh, wait... I guess that was GM.

Daimler just put out some me-too short-range hybrid plugins and outsourced to Tesla for a compliance car powertrain rather late in the game.

The smart ED pre-dates the Volt, and the smart ED is doing extremely well in Europe. (It's not bad in the US either, resulting in 20-30% of all US smart sales today).

Daimler has a pretty big commitment to the smart brand, and they recognize that the smart brand is most ideal in electric form.