Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car and Driver's Ezra Dyer Writes a Letter to Tesla in April 2015 Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TI Sailor

Supporting Member
May 4, 2013
Treasure Island, FL
Ezra Dyer, Car and Driver Magazine’s new “Carolinas Editor” and former Automobile Magazine scribe, has written an article in the latest (April 2015) issue describing A Letter to Tesla, from your friendly local car dealers, otherwise known as the “Totally Useful Retail Dealer Society.” Here are just a few of the highlights:

From the law offices of Dwayne & Johnson, he orders Tesla “to cease and desist. Or just cease. Or desist. We can discuss the options…That’s a situation known as ‘negotiating’. Something you wouldn’t know much about, Tesla”.

He defends his organization and its consumer value by pointing to, among other things, their “robust ethics certification process, the Dealers United Professional Education Seminars”. He notes, “Salespeople certified under this course are courteous, professional, and required by law to disclose how many felonies they’ve committed.”

Of course he goes to great lengths to show how important dealerships are, especially to related economic sectors like the “inflatable-dancing guy industry” and the “low-budget family-TV commercial business”. Also, while TURDS concedes Tesla’s “don’t need oil changes”, the organization stresses Tesla’s might benefit from “electron refurbishment every three months”.

I’m not sure if the article is online, but it’s certainly worth a read. Had me ROFL:biggrin:

And buried in there is a truth;

We do the research and development and design and manufacturing and we have factories and production lines and test tracks. And then some guys with bad coffee and overpriced wiper blades dictate how we can sell our products.

They missed off "and we're on the hook legally if the product kills someone" but, I'd never considered that angle before.

That is awesome. Ezra Dryer really nailed it.

His "Dyer Consequences" Automobile Mag columns were usually gems like this one. He's one of my favorite auto mag writers, second only to Natalie Neff (Autoweek). Unfortunately I was forced to cancel my subscription to Autoweek when their head hancho, Dutch Mandel, decided he needed to devote an entire column advising readers why TSLA, and thus Tesla, was a bad investment.

Very good - though I think I'd have been more cutting about the mysterious 'flushes' that seem to populate ICE service receipts these days (Brake Flush, Oil Flush, Transmission Flush - all absolute bollocks)

Electron Flush, Tyre Flush (because, you know, you really should change the air in your tyres), Heater Vent Flush,,,, could all be used by GM on the Volt service schedule

Nice barbecue.

Was there a bon mot in his choice of law firms? I can't figure what Dwayne & Johnson might refer to, but thought it must be something...????????

I really think it is unfair that we are all piling on to the Auto Dealers. Clearly they provide absolutely necessary services to the car owning public. As evidence, I got this from my local Mercedes Dealer this am....
MB Clock.jpg

Last edited:
I really think it is unfair that we are all piling on to the Auto Dealers. Clearly they provide absolutely necessary services to the car owning public. As evidence, I got this from my local Mercedes Dealer this am....

Wow. What's involved in setting the frickin' clock, if they think booking an appointment and driving down to the dealership is less hassle than adjusting it one hour?!

Wow. What's involved in setting the frickin' clock, if they think booking an appointment and driving down to the dealership is less hassle than adjusting it one hour?!

My second job was working for a local BMW dealership. Each season change was slammed as we "fixed" heater and A/C as we changed the settings from cold to hot and set the time. People couldnt ever figure out how to do this on their own.

I used to have a Mercedes SL55. Nice car. But I swear every 6 months I had to call them up to figure how how to set the time back and forth one hour for DST. It was that unintuitive. I think I finally started remembering how to do it after 4 years...