Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone make a dual-plug home charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just curious if anyone has seen a dual-plug home EV charger. I'm thinking in the near future, it may be not unusual for many households to have two EVs. It seems like right now, it would require two separate charging units. Thanks.
There are many multi-EV families here on TMC. The biggest question is "how much power is available?"
The cost of getting beefier service into my garage was so prohibitive that we ended up charging only one car at a time, but for convenience we have two chargers, each connected to a NEMA 14-50. One J1772 for the Leaf, the other the Tesla UMC.

I guess. Come to think of it, the sequential charging strategy makes sense. If a typical EV only requires 4 hours for a full charge, if the charger could detect the charge level of the two vehicles it's plugged into, it could stop charging one, and start charging the other. I've seen pedestal chargers with two or more cables, but it seems like they're made more for public charging.

Unfortunately, J1772 AC EVSE's can't detect the battery level of the vehicles they're plugged into, so they can't make that decision... they could, however, cycle power back and forth between the vehicles. It could start by doing a round-robin, but when one car stops drawing, then switch to the other. There are lots of things that it could do.

For me? I'm just installing another Tesla wall connector. That leaves my garage with 2 80A HPWC's, a NEMA 14-50 for backup, a NEMA 6-50 in my machine shop, and a NEMA 6-30 (normally for my air compressor) also in my machine shop. That should be enough, I think. :)