Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Owners. Please Don't Pimp Your Ride.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What a headline.
But yes, concerns about people trying to come up with home made charging solutions are real. We keep having discussions here about combining multiple 110V lines and I'm guessing for every person asking here there are two who try it without asking.
Still, concerned about after market wheels? Really?

or non OEM tires??? really??? when they did not offer a valid winter tire solution and then now complain that some of us took it upon ourselves to install proper tires ... really????!!!!

If the quote in the article is valid then the person that made it did not think it through properly or really understand ...

or non OEM tires??? really??? when they did not offer a valid winter tire solution and then now complain that some of us took it upon ourselves to install proper tires ... really????!!!!

If the quote in the article is valid then the person that made it did not think it through properly or really understand ...
It's a quote from their 10K regulatory filing. That filing will also contain language like "if we are unable to fill critical positions on our staff this may affect our ability to execute according to plan"...

So please understand it in its context. The article certainly doesn't make that all that clear.

It's a quote from their 10K regulatory filing. That filing will also contain language like "if we are unable to fill critical positions on our staff this may affect our ability to execute according to plan"...

So please understand it in its context. The article certainly doesn't make that all that clear.

precisely, these disclaimers are part of the company's required filings as a public company, not some bulletin to owners of the car. Tesla (like pretty much every company that files a 10-K) goes through a laundry list of possible risk factors to avoid a shareholder class action lawsuits, including absurd ones like the law firms trying to scrounge up disingenuous shareholder lawsuits in the fall of 2013 after the fires.

It's unfortunate but I think probably true.

If a jailbroken iPhone crashes, the user will almost certainly not be injured and the phone can be rebooted.

If a Tesla is modified in the programming and something goes wrong, a crash of the car could injure someone or be fatal.

Title of that engadget article should say "mods" not "hacks" as that's what the line in the 10K annual report is referring to - physical modifications of the car.

Also, not sure why this is news now as that line has been in Tesla's 10K since their first, in 2010.

Looks like clickbait to me.

The reason why Tesla is extra sensitive to mods are because if any accidents happen where there are fatalities, you already know all the nay-sayer news outlets that have been waiting for a flaw with Tesla will come out bashing the brand. We've also seen how cars catching fire after accidents have impacted the brand significantly, even though any car crashing in those conditions would've burned anyways. The difference is a Ford on fire on the side of the road won't really affect the brand the same way a crashed Tesla on fire would.

Yeah, that one I never did get. I have never, ever bought tires from my dealer and have always gone third-party, so never gave it a second thought when I bought my winter tires. To be fair, Tesla has not said word one to me about it and have even recently replaced some malfunctioning TPMS wheel sensors even though I had non-Tesla rubber mounted.

Yeah, that one I never did get. I have never, ever bought tires from my dealer and have always gone third-party, so never gave it a second thought when I bought my winter tires. To be fair, Tesla has not said word one to me about it and have even recently replaced some malfunctioning TPMS wheel sensors even though I had non-Tesla rubber mounted.
My SC for a while would even install third party tires. And when I had a nail in a tire they told me I'd be much better off going to Les Schwab then having it fixed at Tesla...