Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aston Martin DBX concept EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately just a concept, but this is probably the only thing that would even be in the same league as Model X:

Aston Martin DBX Concept Photos and Info Car and Driver

Don't understand why it has such a big grille. Perhaps more like a future Roadster (a 2 door 2+2). Actually Aston Martin could use Tesla engineering - they are an upmarket niche manufacturer with a distinct identity and different design values, so would compliment rather than compete with Tesla. Imagine a luxury Gt cruiser using European and American Supercharger networks.

They would save on R and D as well!

Last edited:
Don't understand why it has such a big grille.

I would agree with that. I also find the big'ol black 'fake grille' on ModelS/X damages what is otherwise a superb exterior aesthetic. :| The worst part is it, presumably, is an attempt to keep the same familiar 'look' as a standard grilled car. But why!!

And yes if other car companies were smart they'd partner with Tesla and take advantage of all their patents. All new vehicles, worldwide, could be electric in 5 years. But other companies aren't smart. :)

Just stumbled across this --> Aston Martin DBX Concept Challenges Brand Traditions in Geneva

My first thought was, did somebody cross an Aston Martin with a Mustang? My second thought was, why didn't somebody do this sooner?

Then I read into the article. Pure BEV powertrain with lithium-sulfer batteries? And all-wheel drive? Sign me up!

No details about range, or performance, or price, or anything else. Well, OK. It's a concept car. If they provided any specs, they wouldn't really mean anything, so why bother? And the interior... It has the kind of funky interior one expects in a concept car -- steampunkish, or maybe something from a Mad Max movie. As an indication of how they're thinking, or possible future directions, though, the whole package makes a highly positive impression.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone did do this sooner - it was the AMC Eagle. It was ugly as sin then, and it still is.
eagle1_2.jpg

P.S. there is already a thread on this :-O

Someone did do this sooner - it was the AMC Eagle. It was ugly as sin then, and it still is.
Hey, the Eagle was a beauty queen compared to some of AMC's other offerings (Pacer/Gremlin)

But it had wood paneling! Ahead of its time.
Feh. My parent's early 70's Olds Vista Cruiser had it (if you watch National Lampoon's Vacation, it's the car Clark trades in on the "Family Truckster" at the beginning). :smile:

I think you might be alone. They're both cars, I'll give you that.

My point was that a car-SUV hybrid in the form of basically a high-riding car has been done and proportionally it looked like a mess. That, at least to me, looks like what is being done with this concept, hence my comparison. I don't know if an n of 2 makes me necessarily alone on this.

I would agree with that. I also find the big'ol black 'fake grille' on ModelS/X damages what is otherwise a superb exterior aesthetic. :| The worst part is it, presumably, is an attempt to keep the same familiar 'look' as a standard grilled car. But why!!

And yes if other car companies were smart they'd partner with Tesla and take advantage of all their patents. All new vehicles, worldwide, could be electric in 5 years. But other companies aren't smart. :)

It's a nosecone and the only other thing that has a nosecone is a spaceship. And it is not ugly.

My point was that a car-SUV hybrid in the form of basically a high-riding car has been done and proportionally it looked like a mess. That, at least to me, looks like what is being done with this concept, hence my comparison. I don't know if an n of 2 makes me necessarily alone on this.

The big wheels and elevated ride height I don't like, but that has nothing to do with it looking like a cross between a Mustang and an Aston Martin (I think that's just normal concept car crap to make it get noticed). Put normal wheels on and lower it a bit and I think it looks interesting anyway, although not quite my cup of tea.

I don't get all the "SUV" and "crossover" comments that I saw in one article. I don't see any of that. (But then, the Model X doesn't look all that SUV-ish to me either, really. It looks like a slightly taller Model S with funky doors.)

When I look at the DBX, I see a Mustang with an Aston-Martin nose and a squashed-down roof. I don't like the squashed-down roof. . . but I didn't like it on the Chevy Volt concept car either, and it was gone by the time the Volt reached production.

It would be hard to gauge proportions without seeing it in person, but it looks like an attempt at a crossover SUV to my eyes. The name DBX also suggests that that is the aim (given the usual naming sequence of DB6,7,8,9 etc, DBS). The "X" seems to be model speak for SUV (see also BMW X3,5,6). also would not be surprising for them to get into the SUV game with other ultra-high-Enders coming out with SUVs soon - lambo, rolls, Benley, Maserati, and of course the X