Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spitballing, worth upgrading to the Tesla Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 85D does not have dual chargers, FYI.

I've got a Schneider 30 amp EVSE (EV charging station) in my garage from my Nissan Leaf days. The wiring run to it is 8-2 NM wire on a 40-amp breaker. If I connected the Tesla Wall Connector would the Tesla get more than the 30 amps it's currently getting? I've been reading online that some people are using 8-2 NM wire with 45a or 50a breakers..

I'm about safety, but if I can increase the charging speed by 25% that might warrant purchasing the wall connector.

Like I said, just thinking about it at this point. I'd like feedback from those with electrical knowledge. Thanks.

Recommend you read through FlasherZ's guide here --> FAQ-Home-Tesla-charging-infrastructure-Q-A

I'm not an electrician (nor would I even call myself an expert) but I'm 99.9% certain that 8-2 is rated for maximum 40A and it would be unsafe to slap a higher amp breaker on there. If you attach a Tesla HPWC (which I believe you can do without issue) then you must set the DIP switches to 40A as per the HPWC installation guide. The good news is that you'll get 32A output going to your car so it will be a little better than the 30A set-up you have now.

Recommend you read through FlasherZ's guide here --> FAQ-Home-Tesla-charging-infrastructure-Q-A
Thanks for the link - heading there now.
EDIT: looks like you're right on the money with your post. I'd need to upgrade the wiring to 6 gauge to see any improvement. I'll stick with the J1772 EVSE for now, although I hate yanking that adapter out of the Tesla every time I unplug. It's not easy to do.

The good news is that you'll get 32A output going to your car so it will be a little better than the 30A set-up you have now.
That reminds me of when I was big into sport compact cars in the 90's and people would talk about how this upgrade or that gave "4 horsepower!!!!" and I remember thinking that it would make you 0-60 time go from 8.2 to 8.15 seconds. As in, nobody's going to notice it but if it makes you feel good to spend $425 on an air intake for your Ford Probe, knock yourself out.

The Tesla HPWC should be considered an outlet. One that can attach to any 240V standard service. The HPWC can, as mentioned earlier, be limited to a maximum power draw via the setting of dip switches inside of the HPWC cover. Review the HPWC manual for wiring details. It is a nice outlet and the cable is of high quality.

The HPWC was recently moved in the TM the Design Studio main build page to the Accessories section of TM's website.
In addition the optional second charger was also moved to the Accessories section.
There is some speculation, at this time, that perhaps there may be an upcoming announcement in the home recharging offering by TM.
It is possible that the space, possibly used for the optional 2nd charger could be used for some other, yet unannounced device.

In any case, the HPWC is a really nice, permanently mounted, high quality 240V AC outlet termination with a really plush cable and Model S connector.

Last edited:
That reminds me of when I was big into sport compact cars in the 90's and people would talk about how this upgrade or that gave "4 horsepower!!!!" and I remember thinking that it would make you 0-60 time go from 8.2 to 8.15 seconds. As in, nobody's going to notice it but if it makes you feel good to spend $425 on an air intake for your Ford Probe, knock yourself out.

Ha, yes I know what you mean; I doubt I'd spend any money to go from 30A to 32A. But are you getting a full 30A from the Schneider or only pulling 80% of that? Your real flow into the car might be capped at 24A right now and with an HPWC you could be charging at 32A, so that is a 33% increase. Whether that's worth the money?

Ha, yes I know what you mean; I doubt I'd spend any money to go from 30A to 32A. But are you getting a full 30A from the Schneider or only pulling 80% of that? Your real flow into the car might be capped at 24A right now and with an HPWC you could be charging at 32A, so that is a 33% increase. Whether that's worth the money?
The EVSE is rated to provide a full 30a and the Tesla is showing 30a every time I plug her in..

While I wouldn't upgrade to a HPWC for the extra 2A, it might be worth it for the convenience. Once installed, you just have to press the button on the handle to open the charge door which is nice (no getting the key out or bring up the charge menu on the center console touch screen). No adapter to deal with either (just leave it in the glove box for public chargers). The cord and plug are also heavy duty as they are designed to support 80A, so they should last a very long time with just 32A (no overheating). I also have just a single charger, but got a HPWC when they were cheap on eBay just because it was a better design then the UMC and should last much longer.

One thing you can also do if you upgrade is sell the old EVSE and recoup part of the HPWC cost.

I've had my P85 for over 2 years and 50K miles - and have used a 14-50 outlet about 6 months and an HPWC the rest of the time.

Over that time, I can recall needing the higher charging rate of the HPWC and dual chargers only once. Otherwise a 14-50 and a single charger were fast enough to provide the charge I needed (almost always overnight).

Adding the HPWC and being able to fully use it with a dual charger - is an additional $3500 option, and if I was ordered my P85 today, not sure I would have spent the $3500 on something I'd almost never use...

For most owners HPWC & dual charger is probably more to help with range anxiety - than to address a real need for the faster home charging.

I've got a Schneider 30 amp EVSE (EV charging station) in my garage from my Nissan Leaf days. The wiring run to it is 8-2 NM wire on a 40-amp breaker. If I connected the Tesla Wall Connector would the Tesla get more than the 30 amps it's currently getting? I've been reading online that some people are using 8-2 NM wire with 45a or 50a breakers..

As you've read, #8 NM cable is limited to the 60 degC column, or a 40A breaker, which means 32A charging.

As ChrisPDX noted - one of the understated benefits, IMO, is the convenience of having the Tesla connector there, and a nice thick 25' cord. It's just easier to plug in the Tesla cable than having to mess with that design flaw that is the J1772 connector (completely round connector requiring manual alignment of the connector, alignment sleeves that break off, etc.). For those of us with the older charge ports, the button opening the charge port helps too, although Tesla giving us the ability to hold down the trunk button on the fob helps there.