Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self parking lots in manhattan near times square?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
Hey NYC peeps...

I'm going to be spending a few nights in Manhattan at the Westin times square (270 West 43rd) next month and I'm looking for a place to park. I'd prefer a garage w/self parking, which I know is rare. I won't need to charge. Any recommendations? I will likely park and walk/cab it back to the hotel, and not need the car again until I leave a few days later.

Thanks.

You've got a couple of options along the Hudson River by The Intrepid and Circle Line piers along 41st, 42nd and 43rd streets. That's about 4 avenues from where you are staying. Here is a link to a website for all self parking in the area.

Self Parking in NYC | NYC Parking Garages | NYC Parking Rates

As it states on the site, 97% of parking in Manhattan is by attendant. That being said, I've had no problems parking my MS with attendants on a daily basis. Hope this helps!

maps.google.com - type in "parking near 270 w 43rd St, NY" and you can map things out.
The hotel itself may have info on their parking parners in the neighborhood and offer discounts.
I used to park at the Hippodrome nearby but there are lots of other options. Most parking is $40-45/day.

Another Tip for NJ/NYC

Trenton or Hamilton NJ - NJ Transit Trains stations have wall plugs (120V and 240V) for EVs on the top floors. Hamilton is near the SuperCharger.
Both stations take you into NYC at Penn Station (33rd st @ 7th/8th ave). You can hop a cab or a subway up to 42nd street. That's the whole NYC experience for you if you want to go that route. Parking is $13/day at these stations and you can charge up for the return home. It's an option.

Pro-Tip - only take the "Express" trains from these stations. The local trains stop way too much. If you are driving into NYC, there is always that risk of damage in the heavy traffic or parking or whatever. I always like to park outside the island.

Last edited:
If you do end up driving into the city, I've had good luck with the garage at the end of Dyer Ave (at 42nd St), which is super-easy to get to from the Lincoln Tunnel. Bonus: it's just over one (long) block to your hotel. Interestingly, New York City Parking - Manhattan Parking Group tells me they even have 2 EV charging spaces available at $1/kWh (presumably on top of the $45/day rate). I've walked between Times Square and that garage with my wife and kids, no problem.
(Disclaimers: I've only parked there a few times, not within the past year, and never in my Model S.)

NycGarageMap.png

NycGarageStreetView.png

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Austral and bhzmark
I've seen parking attendants park cars in NYC (parked there for years, and I had a special deal to park the car myself in a special spot and keep my keys) and I would NEVER hand my keys over to them. They intentionally bump cars to cram as many as possible into their garage and they think nothing of it. This is "normal parking" for them, which is why you see many cars with these bumper guard aprons on the front and rear. I second the notion of parking at hamilton garage and taking the train in instead.

Reactions: wesley888
I realize that if you have a car full of family, the train idea I posted above, gets expensive plus lugging luggage. Parking within a block of the hotel makes sense if your group is more than 2 people.

Just finished parking in the Manhattan Plaza Parking. Many of the spots are a pair of spots between columns. So at least on one side, you have a good chance of not being dinged. My wife found a coupon on line, so we spent $17 for 10 hours of parking. The garage levels go down from street level. For level K, Tessie was barely able to get cell coverage. I'd go there again on my next visit.