Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pirelli SottoZero? Any feedback? Any good or bad comments?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on their performance on the Model S... total crap. They're fine for the dry road days, but I swear they are worse than all-season tires on snow and ice.

I switched to Michelin XIce3 and never looked back (except when I got a loaner with the stock SottoZeros and a snowstorm hit - then I remembered just how bad they are).

I wouldn't let those things anywhere near my Roadster.

I don't run winters on my Roadster, but I did look into it for you. The width is no problem since Tesla uses both 175 and 195 as stock tires (AD07 and A048).

The diameter of the tire is 0.43" larger. That should be okay for Roadster 2.0/2.5, where you have the tire learning function. I wouldn't recommend that on a 1.5 because you may have traction control problems.

Based on their performance on the Model S... total crap. They're fine for the dry road days, but I swear they are worse than all-season tires on snow and ice.

I switched to Michelin XIce3 and never looked back (except when I got a loaner with the stock SottoZeros and a snowstorm hit - then I remembered just how bad they are).

I wouldn't let those things anywhere near my Roadster.

I have the SottoZeros on the Roadster. This morning was a typical day in Wisconsin (snow/sleet) where my 54 mile drive involved passing various types of vehicles traveling 10-15 mph below the speed limit on the interstate. I was happily cruising at 65ish without any issues.

I did have the XIces on my Miata and loved them, so in my experience you can't go wrong with either.

Unless things have changed, Tesla was recommending Hankook's as the snow tire for the Roadster...I run my Roadster all year round and have been generally pleased with their winter performance...I had the Pirelli Sotto Zero's on our first Model S...I agree with Doug, they were not a very good snow tire and based on their performance with our Model S, I would certainly not even consider them for my Roadster...jmo.

I'm looking at Winter tires.

Dealer recommends Pirelli SottoZero.

I have hated Pirellis in the past.

Any comments + or - ?

TIA,

T

The Roadster, believe it or not, is better than the Model S in snow. I think it's all that weight over the rear tires. You might be able to get by with the SottoZeros because of that... but I wouldn't do it.

I've driven my Roadster on a borrowed set of Hankooks (when I showed it at the auto show in Toronto). They're fine.

I'm driving Sottozero 'runflats' rear on the roadster and some other Pirelli snow tires size 195 in front.

To be honest: the Roadster is a dream in snow. Not sure if the sottozero's contributed or worsened its snow performance, but I can only say that I feel so comfortable with them on the roadster in a snowy environment.

Driven lots of rwd car's, discovering that they usually are quite scary in snowy conditions. Not the roadster. As if it was made for snow driving.

Only, don't expect as much grip when dry and a somewhat wobbly feel when driving (as would be the case with all snow tires I suspect, because of the lamel structure/nature of those tires), as opposed to the advan's ofc

I have them, and no complaints (195 front / 225 rear). Except they wear out quickly in the rear. Installed back in December, and I'll be happy if they last another month. That means around 10000 mls of highway cruising. On my SUV they lasted 10 times longer :)

I've got Sottozero 3's on my RWD BMW, and they're ok in the snow, maybe a slight bit worse than the Blizzak LM-25's I had before. Keep in mind that they are performance snow tires, and as such won't compare well in the snow to full studless snow tires like the Blizzak WS-80 or XIce3 tires. However when the roads are dry they are much much better than a studless snow tire.

I've got Sottozero 3's on my RWD BMW, and they're ok in the snow, maybe a slight bit worse than the Blizzak LM-25's I had before. Keep in mind that they are performance snow tires, and as such won't compare well in the snow to full studless snow tires like the Blizzak WS-80 or XIce3 tires. However when the roads are dry they are much much better than a studless snow tire.

I think that might be the issue here...

In the Winter I want a snow tire and not a performance snow tire. I'm not looking to move quickly, I'm looking to move safely.

I appreciate all the feedback. I believe I will go with the XIce.

Thanks to Doug, and thanks to everyone else for the terrific feedback. This was all super helpful.

Best,

T

Unless things have changed, Tesla was recommending Hankook's as the snow tire for the Roadster...I run my Roadster all year round and have been generally pleased with their winter performance...I had the Pirelli Sotto Zero's on our first Model S...I agree with Doug, they were not a very good snow tire and based on their performance with our Model S, I would certainly not even consider them for my Roadster...jmo.

Which Hankooks did they start recommending? Last I heard (2 yrs ago) they were still recommending Pirellis.