Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jerome reiterates no reveal until deliveries...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think he said he hopes to have his D in a few weeks, not an X.

He's referring to the Model X. At 18:35, he says, "we're not yet at the point where they give me one, but I hope so, soon, in the new few weeks that I will get one."

"It's moving along... it's looking nicer, we're trying... there are little improvements compared to the concept car, and we're not going to show them, before we start deliveries. We're trying to keep them a little secret, you know..."

I presume that Tesla will have to have a 1-2 month lead time where early reservation holders can order the actual car online. But no actual reveal event until the first deliveries of the first signature vehicles?

Last edited:
I presume that Tesla will have to have a 1-2 month lead time where early reservation holders can order the actual car online. But no actual reveal event until the first deliveries of the first signature vehicles?

I really hope that sig owners this time around not only have to pay more for less again, but also end up doing it sight-unseen :(

Yes it seems clear that Jerome expects to get an X to drive by the end of March, I suspect, but that is an "internal" delivery to top Tesla management, not a delivery to an early reservation holder. It seems that Tesla is sticking to their previously announced position that the reveal of the production version of the X will be when the first reservation holders receive their cars sometime this summer.

Jerome did say very clearly that Tesla has already made "a lot" of X's for taking purposes and continues to make small changes and refinements.

He's referring to the Model X. At 18:35, he says, "we're not yet at the point where they give me one, but I hope so, soon, in the new few weeks that I will get one."

"It's moving along... it's looking nicer, we're trying... there are little improvements compared to the concept car, and we're not going to show them, before we start deliveries. We're trying to keep them a little secret, you know..."

They'll have some Founder series to deliver first. And presumably, most of those folks already know what they're getting (Tesla execs, board members, etc.).

There was a delay between Model S Founders and Model S Signature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be closer to a few months, but without some sleuthing, don't have the exact dates.

As of 8/28, no forum members had received a sig, though it appears maybe around 74 had been delivered. (Deferring my order until forum members start to take delivery of their Sig's).

The Founder delivery event was June 24th.

Thanks for that bonnie. What are your thoughts on whether it makes sense they would do a big founder deliveries + reveal event together? It would jive with "details shown during deliveries" and a minimum lead time for signature reservations to firm up their options and orders.

Model S production went painfully slow at the beginning. I wasn't following Tesla that closely back then, but looking at blog postings it appears they were only building cars in the single digits per week for the first couple months. Given the expansiveness of their production line now and expertise they have gained by building the Model S for 3 years, I can't fathom the start of Model X production being anywhere near as slow.

When the delay from Q2 to Q3 was announced, part of the reasoning was to give them more time to test the production line and build quality in advance of a rapid ramp up of production. I could see them starting to build Model X at this trickle rate during Q2, but by the time they are building actual Signature orders I can't imagine they would do less than 100 a week.

The big question is what they consider the start of deliveries to prompt the final reveal. I still can't see them making any outside customer finalize their order without knowing what they are committing to or how much it will cost. This will necessitate some sort of reveal, even if it's just a rendering of what the final version will look like, basic specs and Signature pricing.

One option might be that first reservation people would be shown the car and/or (some of) the specs in secret to finalize their orders, to be delivered upon unveil. I know that is a popular speculation on this forum as well. ;)

Good video of Jerome. Yes indeed, it sounds like he will get his end of March or so. To me that means he will be driving it around town in April. Which means the reveal should be within a month or so. I can't imagine an executive getting a car and then being told not to drive it.

Good video of Jerome. Yes indeed, it sounds like he will get his end of March or so. To me that means he will be driving it around town in April. Which means the reveal should be within a month or so. I can't imagine an executive getting a car and then being told not to drive it.

Maybe he'll have to drive it all camo'd up!

I really hope that sig owners this time around not only have to pay more for less again, but also end up doing it sight-unseen :(
Sorry the wound still festers, bud.

- - - Updated - - -

Possible, but I'd expect a leak or two. Also seems more hassle than just revealing it as soon as it's time to finalize orders.
That's pretty easy to mitigate.

"Hello, Signature Model X Reservation holder! We're please to announce you an advance viewing of the Model X release candidates to aid in the configuration. If you're interested, please contact ____ at Tesla Motors via phone @ ___-___-____ to schedule an appointment. Note that you will need your driver's license for identification, and will need to sign an NDA.

Note: An important aspect of this specific NDA is that if you violate it you will both forfeit your deposit and lose your reservation."