Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Gen Seats for $3500 - Good value or spend it on a new sofa and loveseat at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To each his own. You'll have to sit in both seats (Standard and next-gen) to see if you think it's worth it. I went with the next-gens as I personally like the seat to hold me in more. Lots more bolstering on the sides. I'm also not a big person (5'10", 180lbs) and have heard some larger people are uncomfortable. Standard seats seemed fine to me, but I liked the extra bolstering.

Also, keep in mind, if you want leather, you're spending $1500. Thus the next-gen upgrade is now only $2000. For my configuration, the next gen seats were 1.6% of the total price of the car, almost one month's payment on the loan, so. . .

Also, keep in mind, if you want leather, you're spending $1500. Thus the next-gen upgrade is now only $2000. For my configuration, the next gen seats were 1.6% of the total price of the car, almost one month's payment on the loan, so. . .

Very good point. I didn't consider that I was already in for $1500 on leather. I should probably have coffee before I post.

Very good point. I didn't consider that I was already in for $1500 on leather. I should probably have coffee before I post.

That's what we're here for!

Optic said:
Is next gen back seat included? I thought they discontinued the next gen back seat, but the pictures show that they are still there...

Yes, next gen seats are back in the back. They had done away with them for a while because they received complaints about the fold-flat issues. Once they removed them from the back, they received a lot MORE complaints about the mismatch in the look of the seats and the fact that they didn't drop the price with removing the rears. So they're back and staying I believe. Some people had the option to get the standard or next gen rears for a period of time. Now all cars with next gen seats will match front and back.

I happen to be very happy with my old gen seats. They works great for me (165#, 5'11'') I have heard comments about people sliding around due to a lack of side bolsters. But I'm holding the wheels, so I have none of that. My passengers like the front seat too and constantly comment on it. I sat in new gen driver's just a week ago and really like it, I must say. But the previous post about them being too tight for larger folks is a very good point. Especially on longer trips. There is lot's room in the old ones. I have had no comments about the rears except that it is very hard to buckle up, especially for very large people as the seat buckle is essentially under their but. Not a great deign in a constantly widening populous. And the rear side bolster look to be confining to me, though I didn't get a chance to try them. Lastly, the larger rear head rests make the rear windscreen mostly unusable, because they are so huge. They should automatically raise/lower, a la Mercedes.

I've ordered the next Gen Seats with ordering my MS, without experiencing how they actually are. I'm a bit worried now if they are as comfortable and good as they were promised, givven the fact that i'm a big person, 192 cm / 6.3 ft. :confused:
I don't think height is a problem for confort, it has more to do with "width" :rolleyes:

I'm not a slim person at 6'1"/200lbs, and I found them to be extremely confortable.

Lastly, the larger rear head rests make the rear windscreen mostly unusable, because they are so huge. They should automatically raise/lower, a la Mercedes.

Just a heads up - the larger rear head rests are across on the standard and next gen seats now, so this is a non-issue for the next gens only. . . I agree there needs to be a way to raise/lower/something. I have two small kids back there - no reason for them to be that high all the time.

Yes, next gen seats are back in the back. They had done away with them for a while because they received complaints about the fold-flat issues. Once they removed them from the back, they received a lot MORE complaints about the mismatch in the look of the seats and the fact that they didn't drop the price with removing the rears. So they're back and staying I believe. Some people had the option to get the standard or next gen rears for a period of time. Now all cars with next gen seats will match front and back.

Latest I heard is if you want Next gen seats, that will only be in the front and not the back.

After a test drive in a PD yesterday, I am 100% convinced that the NextGen seats are not for me. The leg movement is to confined and was unconfortable after a short time. Could not emagine a long trip in them. My outer thighs are wide. If I lost 50lbs then maybe, not that motivated. If you weigh over 180lbs you should test out the new seats for a few minutes to get a feel for them. Going with the Textiles is what I'm doing.

After a test drive in a PD yesterday, I am 100% convinced that the NextGen seats are not for me. The leg movement is to confined and was unconfortable after a short time. Could not emagine a long trip in them. My outer thighs are wide. If I lost 50lbs then maybe, not that motivated. If you weigh over 180lbs you should test out the new seats for a few minutes to get a feel for them. Going with the Textiles is what I'm doing.
I have the next gen seats in mine. I weigh about 250lbs and like them a lot more than the old seats in my first Model S. YMMV :)