Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saw this Mazda EV test mule in Oxford, UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this Mazda (I think, anyway) test mule while in town the other day and noticed that it was completely silent when it drove off. I don't know anything about an electric or hybrid Mazda SUV/CUV, anybody know what this could be? Sorry about the terrible phone picture.
Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 02.16.21.png

That's odd. Mazda have been somewhat notorious for avoiding EVs and even hybrid technology. They placed their bet on more efficient gasoline engines. To some extent they didn't have a choice, as they didn't have much free cash to spend on electric drive R&D.

Could this be a simple conversion that Mazda created as "compliance car" for California? Wait, is Mazda even big enough to require compliance cars? I thought only the largest auto makers were forced to produce them. Hmm...

mazda is not big enough to 'require' them like the big 3 from japan

...maybe a PHEV, running electric only ?

Yeah that seemed most likely to me too, but as tonybeldig pointed out, Mazda seem committed to highly efficient ICEs as their means of reducing CO2 emissions. Their website even advertises their cars as 'more efficient than most hybrids' or something along those lines, so they'd certainly have to change their message if this is a PHEV.
However the design language and the logo certainly are very Mazdoid.

edit: here is the line about the CX-5 from their website: '
CX-5 that boasts best-in-class EPA-estimated 35 highway MPG, better than all other SUVs—even hybrids'

Mazda does dabble with EV prototypes, and has some PHEV tech in the works...

MAZDA: Electric Vehicle | Environmental Technology

PHEV Rotary Engine Range Extender to be Expected in the Mazda2

The next Volt might very well be a Mazda | Autonet.ca

----****BUT***----

I saw this Mazda (I think, anyway) test mule while in town the other day and noticed that it was completely silent when it drove off. I don't know anything about an electric or hybrid Mazda SUV/CUV, anybody know what this could be? Sorry about the terrible phone picture.
View attachment 73871

What makes you think it was a Mazda? Could it be a Nissan Qashqai ?

QASHQAI_Overview.ashx.jpg

Electric Nissan Qashqai "a possibility" | Autocar

Second-gen Nissan Qashqai could receive an EV version

http://www.ens.dk/sites/ens.dk/file...ger-qashqai/AFUTURE EV - Qashqai Electric.pdf

2015 Nissan Qashqai could get an electric version

2015_nissan_qashqai_04.88qmwia0khc8s0g0ogg0owckw.a5fuq7lrqzkgc0ccw4ss08gso.th.jpe

Last edited:
Yeah that seemed most likely to me too, but as tonybeldig pointed out, Mazda seem committed to highly efficient ICEs as their means of reducing CO2 emissions. Their website even advertises their cars as 'more efficient than most hybrids' or something along those lines, so they'd certainly have to change their message if this is a PHEV.
However the design language and the logo certainly are very Mazdoid.

edit: here is the line about the CX-5 from their website: '
CX-5 that boasts best-in-class EPA-estimated 35 highway MPG, better than all other SUVs—even hybrids'

By 2018 Mazda and Subaru will have a CARB ZEV(BEV or FCEV) and/or PZEV(PHEV or a ICE/Fuel cell hybrid I suppose) requirement.

The numbers will start at 1.9% of fleet sales in 2018 and grow to 9.2% in 2025.

They can delay getting started to 2020 but still carry over the obligations from 2018 and 2019.

As always requirements can change as we get closer the deadlines and OEMs lobby/bribe CARB officials.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2014/10/20141020-zev.html