Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single Tesla Battery 18650 Cell Test Results

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of fellows over at the DIY Electric Car site have purchased and dismantled a Tesla pack to open a module to get an individual cell for testing.

One measured 2.9 A-Hr capacity, which is right in line with some of the Panasonic datasheets found online.

The other fellow measure 3.02 A-Hr using a 10A discharge rate down to 2.55V and a 100mA cutoff current while charging.

They were reported to be from a 'rev B' pack.

tesla model S module for sale - Page 2 - DIY Electric Car Forums

A couple of fellows over at the DIY Electric Car site have purchased and dismantled a Tesla pack to open a module to get an individual cell for testing.

One measured 2.9 A-Hr capacity, which is right in line with some of the Panasonic datasheets found online.

The other fellow measure 3.02 A-Hr using a 10A discharge rate down to 2.55V and a 100mA cutoff current while charging.

Very interesting. They had a much higher cut charge and only tested to 2.55V instead of 2.5V and was still able to get 3 amp-hours. From the follow up postings, these cells came from a Rev B pack with 3200 miles, but they sat at 0 miles for 2-3 months. Still had 3.3 volts in the cells, that's terrific.

The NCR 18650A datasheet shows 3.1Ah at 2C, but with a 59mA cut-off at 25 degrees C
The NCR 18650B datasheet shows 3.3Ah at 2C, but with a 65mA cut-off at 25 degrees C

I certainly can't tell if it is closer to a NCR18650A or a NCR18650B.

I tested the cells. They are neither NCR18650A nor NCR18650B. They are NCR18650BE.
I was going to post a thread once I have a more proper test done. This was quick and dirty. We are still working on cell removal.
Ignore the 2.9Ah measurement. That was done on a really old, cheap hobby charger that cut at 3V and is horribly inaccurate...

Last edited: