Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any owners in the Pittsburgh area willing to let a prospective owner see their car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering buying a Roadster. However, I live in Pittsburgh, PA, and the closest roadster I've seen for sale so far this year is 800 miles away. I've resigned myself to the realization that if I choose to buy I'm probably going to have to purchase sight-unseen (hopefully with a family member or friend on location)...or via online auction.

However, before I take that kind of leap, I'd really like the opportunity to at least see one in-person. I've only ever seen a Roadster outside of pictures and videos once, and that was in a parking lot; I didn't even get close enough to peer in the windows because I didn't want to worry the owner (though I got some great pictures on my phone). I've ridden in several Model S demo cars when they've come to town, but I know the Roadster is a very different experience.

I was hoping someone in the area may be willing to show a prospective owner their car, and allow me along as a passenger for a short ride so I can get a feel for road noise and overall 'feel'. I'd be willing to drive 100-150 miles. It would help me feel a lot more comfortable that the car is for me; something I really need given that a Roadster purchase would be almost double the most expensive car purchase I've ever made previously.

Thanks!

I'm considering buying a Roadster. However, I live in Pittsburgh, PA, and the closest roadster I've seen for sale so far this year is 800 miles away. I've resigned myself to the realization that if I choose to buy I'm probably going to have to purchase sight-unseen (hopefully with a family member or friend on location)...or via online auction.

However, before I take that kind of leap, I'd really like the opportunity to at least see one in-person. I've only ever seen a Roadster outside of pictures and videos once, and that was in a parking lot; I didn't even get close enough to peer in the windows because I didn't want to worry the owner (though I got some great pictures on my phone). I've ridden in several Model S demo cars when they've come to town, but I know the Roadster is a very different experience.

I was hoping someone in the area may be willing to show a prospective owner their car, and allow me along as a passenger for a short ride so I can get a feel for road noise and overall 'feel'. I'd be willing to drive 100-150 miles. It would help me feel a lot more comfortable that the car is for me; something I really need given that a Roadster purchase would be almost double the most expensive car purchase I've ever made previously.

Thanks!

I'm in Dayton, Ohio and would be glad to show my roadster. The interior is not stock, but everything else is normal roadster. I'd offer to pick you up at the airport and let you see one first hand. I think you are about 4 hours away by car. PM me if your are interested.

Thank you, both, for your generous offers.

Habious, DC is a 6-7 hour drive for me, especially given the traffic in the area. But I sincerely appreciate the offer.

Ibcs, Dayton is approximately 3.5 hours away; I drove there a few years back on a road trip. So that's not too bad. Would you mind if I check back in with you as the weather gets nicer and possibly plan some weekend to drive out? The Tesla is quite a stretch for me, so I have a feeling a flight would be financially out-of-reach.

I'd still love to hear from someone a little closer. Pennsylvania has notoriously terrible roads, and I'd love to know how the Roadster handles them. I owned a Firehawk with the Bilstein suspension a few years back and remember how careful I had to be to avoid bottoming out. I'm guessing the Roadster is even worse.

Thanks again!

Thank you, both, for your generous offers.

Habious, DC is a 6-7 hour drive for me, especially given the traffic in the area. But I sincerely appreciate the offer.

Ibcs, Dayton is approximately 3.5 hours away; I drove there a few years back on a road trip. So that's not too bad. Would you mind if I check back in with you as the weather gets nicer and possibly plan some weekend to drive out? The Tesla is quite a stretch for me, so I have a feeling a flight would be financially out-of-reach.

I'd still love to hear from someone a little closer. Pennsylvania has notoriously terrible roads, and I'd love to know how the Roadster handles them. I owned a Firehawk with the Bilstein suspension a few years back and remember how careful I had to be to avoid bottoming out. I'm guessing the Roadster is even worse.

Thanks again!

I'd be willing to meet you at the Columbus Tesla store to save you another hour or so. You'd get the chance to see the Tesla store catch some dinner and see the roadster all in one trip. The store is about 1 1/2 from my house, but they know me well. Let me know when you are ready.

---Kent

Nicholas, I live in Columbus, OH. I have a 2010 2.0 Roadster. I would be happy to show you my car. I also know Kent (ibcs) from Dayton. He has a very nice pimped out 2.5 roadster!! Kent and i have met up a couple of times and I would be happy to meet up again. So if you would like to see the difference between the 2.0 and 2.5 maybe we can coordinate a weekend meet up.
Vip

Nicholas, I live in Columbus, OH. I have a 2010 2.0 Roadster. I would be happy to show you my car. I also know Kent (ibcs) from Dayton. He has a very nice pimped out 2.5 roadster!! Kent and i have met up a couple of times and I would be happy to meet up again. So if you would like to see the difference between the 2.0 and 2.5 maybe we can coordinate a weekend meet up.
Vip

Great idea Vip!

Vip and Ibsc: That's very generous of both of you. I would love the opportunity to see them both, and would be happy to buy you dinner in Columbus. I wouldn't want to drag you out in the ice and snow so let's see what the weather does in the next couple weeks. I'm starting the car search now, but I honestly wouldn't mind waiting a month or two to see how my contract renewal goes at work before diving in anyway, so I'm in no big rush.

Chris, I really appreciate the offer, but I've been up that way and Buffalo is about an hour further away than Dayton.

Vip and Ibsc: That's very generous of both of you. I would love the opportunity to see them both, and would be happy to buy you dinner in Columbus. I wouldn't want to drag you out in the ice and snow so let's see what the weather does in the next couple weeks. I'm starting the car search now, but I honestly wouldn't mind waiting a month or two to see how my contract renewal goes at work before diving in anyway, so I'm in no big rush.

Chris, I really appreciate the offer, but I've been up that way and Buffalo is about an hour further away than Dayton.

Let us know when you are ready.

---Kent

I can't help with the immediate effort Nicholas, but when I found my used Roadster, it was with the help of others here on the forum who went and physically looked it over for me and provided the assurance that the car and dealer were real (I'd had a previous experience with an ad that was only trying to lever money out of me, but with no car in return).

If your car hunt leads to a Roadster in my area, I'd be happy to cast a non-car guy eye on it for you. I can at least attest to it's reality (or lack thereof!). More generally, I suspect you'll find that wherever you find a used Roadster for sale, you'll also be able to find somebody in the neighborhood - possibly somebody that knows the owner that is selling - that can help lower some of the stress of long distance car buying.

The Spring weather is finally coming around, so how would you two feel about March 28th or March 29th in Columbus? I'd be available any time in the afternoon or early evening that's convenient for you. Thanks!

If your car hunt leads to a Roadster in my area, I'd be happy to cast a non-car guy eye on it for you...
Sorry for not responding sooner, Adiggs. I really appreciate the offer and may take you up on it. :)