Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my Model S - Some Niggles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only 250 miles on the clock so far, so it's early days. My grin is ear to ear, but of course there are some issues. My niggles:

1) Squeaking brakes. Pretty noisy. Sounds like they're 40k miles old and need replacing. I'm hoping it's a film or finish or something that will wear away. I've done some pretty stern braking on the highway and it didn't go away.

2) No multiple destinations in the Nav? Here to there, and that's it? I feel like I must be missing this feature.

3) Shortly after the software update, my car got the "Park Assist Disabled" error and the front sensors aren't working. I've soft rebooted the screen several times.

4) I didn't get a Monroney (window sticker) and they emailed me a PDF. I'm bummed, I always like saving them on new cars. Should I get press them to print me a replacement real one?

5) How long is reasonable to get back to me on a scratch that existed at delivery? It's now been 2 weeks and nothing but "we'll get back to you sometime about it". Not a word other than that.

6) Is there a way to shut everything off when you're getting out? The other day we were blasting some awesome Toddler music and we stop the car and press Park, and the radio is still blasting as we walk away. And again when we approach and the handles open, BOOM goes the dinosaur rock. Not a huge deal but feels like I'm missing something.

7) I frequently have to take the key out of my pocket to get the handles to present. I think it's when my phone (Samsung Note 3) is in the pocket with the key. Weird interference I guess?

8) The frunk alignment isn't perfect - different panel gap one side than the other. I can live with it for sure, and now that I've wrapped in clear film I'm not sure how much I want the SC messing with it...

9) The a-pillar on the driver's side (interior) isn't flush at the top. The passenger side is. The driver's looks like someone tugged at the top and slightly bent it outward. It's annoying, catches my eye every time I sit in the car.

10) I mentioned in another thread, but the washer nozzles spray a thick gush of water pretty low on the glass. I need it adjusted higher, and I wish someone would figure out how to retrofit some misting nozzles on here.

Last edited:
1) Brakes are squeaky, 21" inch wheels have an additional resonance that was supposedly fixed with heavier rotors. When I switched from 21s to 19s the squeaking decreased. Bedding the brakes helps a bit.

2) No waypoints yet. Might be in next software release which is supposed to make improvements to the nav.

5) Definitely get them to fix the scratch. Perhaps you need to be more insistent.

6) My car drops the music level down way low when you open the driver door, so it doesn't blast music. Resumes volume when you get back in and close the door. If you want to mute the music, you can press the left scroll wheel.

7) Keys , phones and coins seem to block the fob when in contact with it. I keep my fob in my pocket that doesn't have any of those things and it works great.

1. Squeaky brakes should be corrected by the SC.
3. Have the SC check your logs.
4. What the heck did they do with it? If you want it, ask for it. Don't be shy.
5. Was this on the final sheet acceptance sheet that indicated what work Tesla still had to do? If so, I would be polite but firm that you want a date certain for the car to go to the Tesla-approved body shop.
6. Just mute on the way out

Good luck and congrats!

Thanks for your feedback.

My wife and I are torn on pressing the Monroney sticker thing. I don't want to be a pain in the ass but it's a cool thing to have and this is certainly the coolest car I'll ever own (and brand new to boot)

1. Brakes do get better over time. Many comments about this. Use them hard for a while to help seat the pads. I find it more noticeable when they are cold. And since I rarely use them, they are always cold! I only get a squeak when coming to a complete, gentle stop. I have 7,500MI
2. Yup. Bummer.
3. I had this briefly for one day. But got the .173 (I think) update that day. After update, no problems.
4. I got mine and treasure it! Yes. I am a geek.
5. Completely unacceptable that they have not responded to your scratch. Tesla is NOTORIOUS for delivering cars with lots of finish errors. Push the point hard. They owe you a fix on this. I had a full polish and seal done two days after delivery, which I had planned well before. My detailer not only documented the entire process, but was appalled at the condition. I complained about the state of the finish at delivery, sent many photos and got a 500 credit to my account. So making noise can work.
6. Nope. If I am cranking tunes when I get out, I simply spin the volume wheel down a bit so I don't get blasted when I sit and shut the door. I kind of like the idea of music playing when I open the door. Pretty neat. But I agree, I don't want to blasted when I get back in.
7. I keep my fob in my right front pocket with just a few other keys. My phone is in my right butt pocket. Never have had a problem, but I have read many posts about interference. Makes complete sense.
8. My frunk is even, but more "gappy" than I would expect at this price point. Oh well, new company.
9. Make 'em fix it. They will.
10. They stink! Makes me mad. I don't think re-pointing them will help much. They really need to mist the entire screen, as does my 8yo Acura. Works flawlessly.

My brakes squeaked for six months before I asked the SC to replace the rotors. Even though the TSB for the larger rotors is specific to the 21" wheels, they installed them on my car even though I had 19". The squeak was immediately gone. It's the old style rotors that Telsa used in my case, I don't know if that has been changed in production or if they are still putting the smaller rotors on all cars.

1) No squeaky brakes here. Make them fix this.
2) Yup, the navigation is missing a bunch of features. Send an email to [email protected] (which replacing the old ownership@ address) saying you want these things. They keep track of this stuff.
3) Call Tesla. Some people have had parts replaced to fix this, others have had it resolved by re-pushing an incompletely installed update.
4) They're require by law to provide this to you. Technically they're not even supposed to take it off the window for you (though they do). So if you want it ask for it and they'll probably take care of it.
5) No idea. But if anything I've learned about dealing with them is don't just assume they'll take care of something, push them to resolve it to your satisfaction and they will.
6) Press the left wheel to mute/pause whatever you're playing before getting out.
7) You're probably right about the phone interfering. I keep my keys in a different pocket and have no issues. People have complained about this stuff in other threads in the past.
8) Say something and see what they suggest. I know some of these alignment issues may have tradeoffs and may be undesirable to fix.
9) Say something they should be able to fix it.
10) I recall someone saying something about this but I haven't really used mine on this car yet and I don't remember thinking they were bad on the last one. So no thoughts. Maybe say something to service and see if they have suggestions. At a minimum you can be a vote for a change on this.

You gotta stop much harder to get the brakes bedded in. The hats on mine are bigger than most SUV's. Mine took 60 MPH drop a few times and have been pretty good since. Still slightly chattery when wet though. I am guessing they use ceramic pads, if they were more aggressive you would be complaining about grinding noises when you stop.

Hey ec05280

1. Mine were squeaky when it was cold, did a few consistent High Speed brake stops to bed the pads and they don't squeak anymore (Set regen to low)
2. Agreed
3. Something is wrong, the service center should be able to fix it
4. I got my S85D from the same Delivery Center as you, my window sticker was in the glovebox already removed
5. I'd force the issue to get the scratch removed
6. I got the same issue (listening to dubstep very loud though)
7. I don't have this problem with an iPhone 6 Plus
8. My Frunk isn't aligned right either
9. Bring it up at the next Service visit
10. Yeah mine spray a little too low, I'll probably get a needle and aim each inside nozzle 4 inches higher sooner

A lot of other people answering the questions, but a definitive answer to #7: Yes, phone and key in same pocket will make key not work *and* make it consume the fob battery much much faster.

It's why the Tesla jackets have the breast pocket for phone and the side pockets for your keys (okay, okay, that's speculation... but it's how I wear it).

UPDATE:

1) Squeaking brakes.
Shockingly better for no good reason.

2) No multiple destinations in the Nav?
I sent an email to Tesla requesting this feature.

3) Shortly after the software update, my car got the "Park Assist Disabled" error.
Went away this evening halfway through a long drive. BTW TACC works like @#$ with this error. They should disable it too if the parking sensors fail for whatever reason. It was getting too close to cars on the highway and activating the accident avoidance alerts often. I'm going to mention this to Tesla in an email too.

4) I didn't get a Monroney (window sticker)
Supposedly they're printing one up for me. Fingers crossed.

5) How long is reasonable to get back to me on a scratch that existed at delivery?
My emails and calls and texts finally worked, I got a call from the SC and said they'll have it looked at and repaired at next visit.

6) Is there a way to shut everything off when you're getting out?
OK - I've started pausing the audio when I get out. But it still un-pauses and blares the audio automatically when the key senses me walking up to the car.

7) I frequently have to take the key out of my pocket to get the handles to present.
I just have to start putting it somewhere else I guess - today it let me in the car, but then said Key Not Present and wouldn't start until I took the key out of my pocket.

Everything else I'll have them look at when I get the car in. They're booking 6 weeks out right now for anything that's not an emergency, and won't make my appt until I have my punch list. So it'll be a while I guess before the car is in the shop.

As always, thanks for the helpful responses. Much appreciated.

Six week lead time for an appointment? That's appalling *and* not a confidence booster.

There's a coating associated with factory-new brake components; sounds like it wore off.

I had to reboot at least daily for the first week or so to "fix" various interface problems. However, now, 10 weeks in, reboots are down to weekly if that.

That audio behavior is odd. Mine gets quieter when I open the door from inside, and resumes playing by the time I open the door upon entry. All Slacker so far.

Six week lead time for an appointment? That's appalling *and* not a confidence booster.

It's not uniform it just comes down to how busy they are. I picked my car up on the Wednesday, Feb 18th, had an email in about a few minor issues on the Monday, Feb 23rd and had an appointment for the following Monday, March 2nd for service to deal with them. None of them were an emergency and part of the reason I started asking about the appointment when I did was because I figured it would take a while to get the appointment.

UPDATE:

1) Squeaking brakes.
Shockingly better for no good reason.

My brakes acted similar. Extremely noisy (who's got the jalopy?) for the first three or four hundred miles.

- - - Updated - - -

Not having multiple destinations, or waypoints or similar is a huge omission. This is particularly poignant for Tesla-- we need to go from point A to point C, stopping at supercharger point B en route.

FWIW, I have seen this in other cars, which makes me wonder if someone patented the concept of waypoints and squeezes NAV companies for royalties (complete speculation).

UPDATE:
6) Is there a way to shut everything off when you're getting out?
OK - I've started pausing the audio when I get out. But it still un-pauses and blares the audio automatically when the key senses me walking up to the car.
Are the doors still closed when this happens? In 2 years with my P85 it has never played music BEFORE I opened the doors. You should get the SC to look at this.

7) I frequently have to take the key out of my pocket to get the handles to present.
I just have to start putting it somewhere else I guess - today it let me in the car, but then said Key Not Present and wouldn't start until I took the key out of my pocket.
Are you wearing metal pants by chance? J/K. Maybe the battery needs to be replaced in your key fob.