Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D First Ride -- Insane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Well, it's not called "insane" mode for nothin'!

I recently got my first ride in a P85D courtesy of the Kansas City Tesla store. As the test driver accelerated, I got this sensation -- as presumably the blood was leaving my frontal lobe -- kind of like I might pass out. I've never had that happen in a vehicle before, and I like fast cars and have owned a few (no supercars, but things like a 2011 Mustang GT with the DOHC 400+ HP Ti-VCT V8). It is truly insane.

If you are considering a P85D and have never ridden in one, I recommend getting a test ride (I doubt they will let you test drive a car that fast, but I'm sure they will offer rides). You may discover, much like me, that for the first time ever, you don't necessarily want the fastest model available.

Equally impressive was the traction, cornering, and breaking. The traction control never broke the tires loose and never suddenly dropped power at the limit either (something I have experienced in some traction control equipped cars).

Anyone who nay says the performance Model S at this point is just trolling. It's a $&#$ race car with seating for 5...or even 7...and luggage.

I was offered a P85D test drive (not just a "ride", but a DRIVE) at my local SC last month while I was there charging my Roadster. I jumped on it. Definitely INSANE!

In fact, the Tesla sales guy had me go to a little used, long and straight street and told me to "stomp on it". And I did. It was amazing how smoothly all that torque was instantly transferred to the wheels without the traction control coming on.

Last edited:
Of course they will let you drive it! I just placed my order for one last week (pearl white P85D, 21", tech, black new gen, black Alcan, autopilot), and it was because I was shopping a Panamera GTS vs an RS7 and I came to my senses! This car is a game changer, and I am happy to enjoy it AND buy American, AND be on the cutting edge of tech, AND be environmentally conscious AND reduce my country's dependence on oil from crazies AND accelerate like I stole it. This car will change the world, and I am excited to be a part of it.

sorry, I'm just REALLY PUMPED about this car!

Of course they will let you drive it! I just placed my order for one last week (pearl white P85D, 21", tech, black new gen, black Alcan, autopilot), and it was because I was shopping a Panamera GTS vs an RS7 and I came to my senses! This car is a game changer, and I am happy to enjoy it AND buy American, AND be on the cutting edge of tech, AND be environmentally conscious AND reduce my country's dependence on oil from crazies AND accelerate like I stole it. This car will change the world, and I am excited to be a part of it.

No need to apologize. We all get it. Welcome to the club :)

I was shopping the same decision + the MBZ E63 AMG-S. Tesla won, hands down.

I also said "holy crap this is insane" about 10 times on the test drive. My son in the back seat said "whoa, dad you need to get this car" over and over again

Well, the blood finally has flowed back to my lower extremities and face....Jenny and I concur that the mode is appropriately named.

HOWEVER....can someone describe the difference between Insane Mode and NotQuiteInsaneButStillRidiculouslyFast Mode?

Bad news: It only gets worse the closer your delivery date comes

Worse news: It doesn't end after that. You still look for ridiculous excuses to go drive, or even (humbly, I admit) go out to your garage to make sure you weren't dreaming, and you actually own one.

Good news: For all but a few anomalies, the car is, actually, just as good as you think it will be.

can someone describe the difference between Insane Mode and NotQuiteInsaneButStillRidiculouslyFast Mode?

Wait... there is an option to take the car out of insane mode? Why would someone waste time coding that?

(And no cracks about Valet mode, we really do need that, all kidding aside!)

I find myself saying "Daddy loves you" as I walk by. Have no idea why.

Dbitter1 is absolutely right. You will LOOK for excuses to take it out. Especially when you walk by and the door handles pop out. It's tempting you to get in...

Don't fall for it. Wait... Fall for it.