Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Children In and Out of Car Seats in a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much of a hassle is it to get kids in and out of car seats in a Model S? As my kids get bigger and taller (4 years old, 40lbs), I'm finding it more of a pain to lift her up in my SUV and get her into her car seat without having to worry about hitting her head! I'm assuming the Model S is no different although I wouldn't have to lift her as high, right? Because of this, I'm really leaning toward a Model X where the falcon doors would alleviate me of that problem (on top of allowing me easier access to the third row) unless I put her in the rear facing child seats of an S. I'm thinking that I'm not wanting to worry about her getting overly hot back there especially in the summer.

Is this an issue for S owners with children?

My kids do pretty well getting in and out of the car by themselves. I have a 7 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. It takes my son a minute or so, but usually he insists on doing it himself. The door kickplate is low enough that even he can climb up by himself.

The car has standard car seat latches, so most seats for infants and toddlers just snap right in. I find an issue, however, with booster seats. Some are wider than the model S seat itself. I'm not sure how the buckles have changed over time, but my 7 year old daughter can buckle herself in with the booster seat if it is on the right side of the car, but she has trouble on the left side. I think it's because the receptacles are just too recessed into the seat. I usually have to help when the seat is on the driver's side. The older models have poorly constructed rear belts in my opinion as well.

Last edited:
Is this an issue for S owners with children?

For my 2-year-old, I must confess to bumping his head occasionally against the ceiling trying to get him into the car seat.

The good news is that at the age of 4, he moves into the rear-facing seats where it's much, much easier. By the time they reach 5 years or so, self-buckling and closing the hatch is their domain.

- - - Updated - - -

The car has standard car seat latches, so most seats for infants and toddlers just snap right in. I find an issue, however, with booster seats. Some are wider than the model S seat itself. I'm not sure how the buckles have changed over time, but my 7 year old daughter can buckle herself in with the booster seat if it is on the right side of the car, but she has trouble on the right side. I think it's because the receptacles are just too recessed into the seat. I usually have to help when the seat is on the driver's side. The older models have poorly constructed rear belts in my opinion as well.

The embedded seat belt latches are really horrible, IMO. I went with short belt extensions in the rear seat so that it will work around the car seat we have installed and make it easier for my kids to buckle in.

The rear seats in the S are not as good for kids as one would hope given a car this size. The port to get in and out is very small, and to get infant car seats out you really need the door opened nearly all the way, which is close to impossible if you get a car parked next to you. You're beyond that, which is good, but the roof is still pretty low back there. You'll have to be careful getting your child in and out.

Once they're old enough for the rear-facing seats, if equipped, you'll be in a lot better situation. It does get hot back there, though. You'll note that are several home-brew-style solutions to getting airflow into the trunk, and you can buy a pop-up shade that covers the entirety of the glass that helps a lot. I expect rear airflow is something that will get revised eventually.

Presumably getting kids in an out of the X will be a snap with those doors, though that vehicle is expected to sit higher than the S. I wouldn't be surprised if the doors negate the added height, making it substantially easier to get them in and out.

Ditto the above comments. I bumped my daughters head a few times trying to put her in the seat at the beginning but angling the head in first avoids that danger. And at 4 years old now most of the time she just gets in on her own.