Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes in the order page including prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if this is mentioned anywhere, but the Canadian Tesla site has some changes. In addition to the fact that the second charger is now standard, the prices are now higher. For example, my car (minus the autopilot hardware of course) is now ~$5,000 more expensive. I remember there was a price increase before but I don't think it was close to $5,000 for the S60.

I think this should help with the depreciation a little bit for us owners.

I was assuming that given the availability of the CHAdeMO adapter they discontinued the second onboard charger... The fact that they don't offer the HPWC anymore seems to support that point of view...
I doubt that. First, CHAdeMO adapter is not free. Secondly, where I live, CHAdeMO is rare in Canada or even the US compared to L2 chargers.

I compared pricing to "before" as in a week ago, the only price change I notice off-hand is for obeche wood dash trim. Went from $700 to $850. Carbon Fiber trim price went up but I'm not sure by how much.

Base prices for each model, AWD, Tech, Cold Weather, leather seats, etc. pricing is unchanged.

Also noticed that winter wheel/tire packages are gone, which isn't a bad thing. Those tires are useless for winter in my area.

Last edited:
the prices are now higher. For example, my car (minus the autopilot hardware of course) is now ~$5,000 more expensive. I remember there was a price increase before but I don't think it was close to $5,000 for the S60.

The first price for the S60 went up about $2,500 during the last week of January, then another$2,500 a bit later. The price of the Dual (non P) Motor went from ~$4,000 to the current $5,500 at some point too. The tech package, currently $4,700, was $500-$700 less.

It's unfortunate, but the adjustments are minor compared to how much the CAD has fallen. The Model S is actually cheaper in Canada than in the USA if you take into account exchange rates. Tesla also has to absorb a 6% duty when they ship vehicles to Canada, due to ~45% of the parts not coming from North America. The Model 3 should avoid this fee thanks to battery production moving to the USA. Tesla also resells ZEV credits they earn from selling the Model S in California, Massachusetts, New York and a half-dozen other states. So, on the average TM makes far less per sale in Canada than in the USA.

I will attend the Quebec City Auto show tomorrow and ask a Tesla rep about the dual motors. By the way, Tesla will also be at the Ottawa auto show for the first time this year, as was the case with the recent Montreal and Toronto ones. I don't know what their plans are for the Western Canada shows.

Capsule summary: Tesla will no longer install the second charger at the factory. Price of installing it at the service center went down significantly, but still more expensive than original factory option. And the option is buried in the charger accessories page. (US prices - install at factory $1500, install at SC $3600... changed to install at SC only $2000.)

Apparently it was a slow seller, and Tesla likes to keep only popular options for factory install. I guess slow sales are probably due to the Supercharger network.

I certainly don't regret having the dual chargers - I've used them a LOT.

Capsule summary: Tesla will no longer install the second charger at the factory. Price of installing it at the service center went down significantly, but still more expensive than original factory option. And the option is buried in the charger accessories page. (US prices - install at factory $1500, install at SC $3600... changed to install at SC only $2000.)

Apparently it was a slow seller, and Tesla likes to keep only popular options for factory install. I guess slow sales are probably due to the Supercharger network.

Thanks, Doug for the clarification. This makes the S60 $7,000 more expensive in this case.

I think this should make current owners happier, and future owners less hesitant in getting the option.

With no advantage (ability) to ordering a 2nd charger from the factory, most people would likely do a wait and see, I know I would (I'm only a lurker not an owner). If I went a year and only had one or two opportunities where a 2nd charger would have been useful, then I probably would not bother getting it installed.

You're right. I wasn't clear that I was referring to my own setup not the S60 in General. When I calculated the difference of $5000, I assumed the 2nd charger was included.
Maybe this is a Canadian change? Here in the US I don't think we've had a price increase as you describe. If I configure an S60 identical to what I bought 18 months ago then the price difference is less than the bump in cost of the tech package (now that it includes auto-pilot). And mine included the interior lighting package that no longer exists.
Oh, I found the original pricing sheet from 2013 - $69,900 base price. Today it's $71,070 - so a $1170 price increase.

Maybe this is a Canadian change? Here in the US I don't think we've had a price increase as you describe. If I configure an S60 identical to what I bought 18 months ago then the price difference is less than the bump in cost of the tech package (now that it includes auto-pilot). And mine included the interior lighting package that no longer exists.
Oh, I found the original pricing sheet from 2013 - $69,900 base price. Today it's $71,070 - so a $1170 price increase.
Yes, I think this reflects also the hit in the Canadian dollar vs $US

With no advantage (ability) to ordering a 2nd charger from the factory, most people would likely do a wait and see, I know I would (I'm only a lurker not an owner). If I went a year and only had one or two opportunities where a 2nd charger would have been useful, then I probably would not bother getting it installed.

Most buyers will not wait and see, because most buyers won't even know the option exists if it's not on the order page. Most buyers don't read this or other forums. Part of the problem with dual chargers is the average owner didn't understand what it was used for, and not used for, so they ordered it when it wasn't useful to them, or didn't order it when it would have been.