Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outside temperature reported as much higher than actual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

darthy001

Love my car, hope Tesla can get as great!
Oct 29, 2012
Bærum, Norway
Hi,

yesterday I had the first long drive in my new P85D and on the return trip I had a very strange issue come up. Outside temperature was more or less exactly 0C/32F, but the car reported outside temp as 31C/87F for some reason.

This resulted in the climate control pushing cold air constantly trying to cool down the inside of the car. I had to turn the AC up to 27C/80F before it actually started blowing hot air again.

Is this something that has happened to other people? It worked fine driving to work this morning, but was extremely annoying yesterday as we got quite cold:eek:

Maybe the car is telling you its ready for summer... Just kidding...
The car should read what the inside temp is and adjust accordingly. If its cold inside even though the temp may be 80 degrees it should still blow warm air.

I'd try to reboot the car on both displays and see if that fixes things.

Maybe the car is telling you its ready for summer... Just kidding...
The car should read what the inside temp is and adjust accordingly. If its cold inside even though the temp may be 80 degrees it should still blow warm air.

I'd try to reboot the car on both displays and see if that fixes things.
reboot and firmware-update today and last night performed without helping. Tesla service says a sensor most likely needs to be replaced. And that they might have time for it in june....

yay:(

Seriously, June!?! If true, I'd scream bloody murder!
Oh yes, some serious wait time for a service appointment in Norway these days. I was told I might be squeezed in sooner if I drove out of town, but would only be a few weeks saved at most.

Anyway it seems like the sensor is very moody. Went for two drives tonight without issues.. So crossing my fingers:)

I had something similar yesterday - it was about -2C but my car showed, at various times, 7C and 14C. However I believe this is due to the fact that we had freezing rain and much of my car was encased in 1 cm of ice you didn't happen to have similar conditions, did you?

I had something similar yesterday - it was about -2C but my car showed, at various times, 7C and 14C. However I believe this is due to the fact that we had freezing rain and much of my car was encased in 1 cm of ice you didn't happen to have similar conditions, did you?
nope, several instances with dry roads and no rain/snow and still showing 20degrees or more off:)

A very moody sensor though as it showed a seemingly correct temperature today.

@garyid to my knowledge the app is the only place to see the internal temp.