Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's Cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the currently northern-Alberta-like temperatures in Ontario: take a look at this graph.

Aren't you special?

(I just spent a month in Ottawa, so I experienced it first hand. It really does suck.)

nasa_january_2015_anomaly_map_nmaps.gif

(I just spent a month in Ottawa, so I experienced it first hand. It really does suck.)

I live in Ottawa. It's majorly sucking for sure. Uncle!!!!

One of our employees told me that if it had been like this on his first winter here, he would have got back on the plane and gone home.

Looking forward to this weekend... it's gonna hit a balmy -5C. Time for some sunbathing.

How do you get that low? In my 60 I can't get under 260 on the 401 in anything below -10C.

Lots of small things and applying the lessons shared by DougG and others (on this site). Having a heated garage at one end and an unheated, but insulated and attached, garage at the other certainly helps. Timing the charging to maximize availability of regen, judicious use of heat and defrost, etc., etc. Toronto traffic probably merits a mention as well. Regularly forced to drive slower or to take alternate routes.

It's my third winter with the car, so I have had the time to learn what it does and doesn't like.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like I'll have to drag out the mower this weekend. That dang lawn is actually starting to grow!

Did any of us in the frozen East tell you just how much we appreciate hearing that. :crying:

I'm really not. It's been an unusually mild winter on the west coast. Local Vancouver ski hills closed down early. Daffodils and crocuses already in bloom. I was kicking a ball around in the backyard with the kid ladt weekend ... in a t - shirt.

You know a bunch of us in Ontario and Quebec either hate you now, or are very envious of you! :wink:

Another balmy morning here of -19 ,

Regarding the currently northern-Alberta-like temperatures in Ontario: take a look at this graph.

View attachment 73547

Looks like the map is already obsolete. The average temperature in February in Quebec was 7C below normal, not ~4C. Did anyone else chuckle when the "official" P85D Winter video came out and it was filmed in one of the dark orange zones in California? Yesterday, I was a passenger in a P85D on a snow and ice covered slalom course. The video from that should be more interesting. (I think Club Tesla Quebec may post something).

Toronto experienced it's coldest winter since 1934 (when the lake froze over and you could walk to Rochester) and the coldest winter in history at YYZ. As of Feb 28 we have had 36 consecutive days without topping 0. That is the third most on record and looking at the forecast we should pass the #2 year which was 1978. But the string should bring on Mon March 9 if the forecasts correct.