Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scuba diving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dirkhh

Middle-aged Member
Jul 7, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
So since the bee keepers have their own thread and since I know there are a lot of scuba divers here, I figured we should have our own thread, too.

I have two large cement mixing tubs that fit perfectly in the trunk of my Model S. With that I can take a HP119 tank, dry suit, BC and all the other gear and dive pretty much "out of my car" on Hood Canal in Washington - easy to reach from home via the Centralia Supercharger... actually, once I have my new car I can drive their without charging on the way - with the S60 that was just a bit too far given typical I5 speeds...

Anyone else who takes their Tesla for dive trips?

Good idea Dirkhh.
My wife and I have been scuba diving for over a decade. We were PADI certified in Ontario. However, now we just scuba dive where it is warm.
A few places I've enjoyed diving at are Grand Cayman, Raja Ampat, Mexico, and Bahamas.
Love watching all the sealife.

My favorite diving was a Great Barrier Reef livaboard boat for over a week solid of diving.

And staying on Cozumel Island drift diving Palancar reef.

Oh yeah, seeing Eagle rays eat plankton from in front of my face since they were attracted to the dive lights at night in Kona.

Yes we also love diving, I was NAUI certified in the late 60's and my wife was PADI certified in the 80's. We loved Roatan, Fiji and Great Barrier diving. Do not do anything but warm water diving anymore, do not like the heavy wet suit and cold water.

I dive once or twice a month. The frunk easily holds four steel 100 tanks and i have two bins for the back which hold two sets of dive gear. Only issue is what to do with the key fob when diving from shore.

My favorite diving was a Great Barrier Reef livaboard boat for over a week solid of diving.

And staying on Cozumel Island drift diving Palancar reef.

Oh yeah, seeing Eagle rays eat plankton from in front of my face since they were attracted to the dive lights at night in Kona.

I did the GBR and was underwhelmed. Did a week long liveaboard in Palau and that was amazing. Also liked Fiji and Bonaire quite a bit.
The Kona ray dives are on my bucket list...

- - - Updated - - -

I dive once or twice a month. The frunk easily holds four steel 100 tanks and i have two bins for the back which hold two sets of dive gear. Only issue is what to do with the key fob when diving from shore.
I hope my frunk will soon hold fewer tanks :)

- - - Updated - - -

Beautiful photos, dirkh!
Thanks, stevezzzz

The Roadster isn't the best vehicle for diving - that's why I still keep the Hybrid SUV (2007 Ford Escape).

I've been teaching SCUBA for 25 years (originally certified in 1972), and lead trips every year. Just got back from leading a dive trip to St. Croix.

How about a Tesla contingent for my Cozumel trip next february? Can't drive your Model S there, but the diving is excellent.

Has been a diver for 17 years, dived many places but warm water only: Okinawa, Guam, Saipan, Palau, Sipadan (Borneo), Manado (Bunaken, Indonesia), Apo Island (Philippines), Raja Ampat, Indonesian Borneo, Maldives, Rangiroa (Tahiti), Cozumel etc... I highly recommend Palau, which can be dived land-based. If you have any questions about Asian dive sites please ping me.

The Roadster isn't the best vehicle for diving - that's why I still keep the Hybrid SUV (2007 Ford Escape).

I've been teaching SCUBA for 25 years (originally certified in 1972), and lead trips every year. Just got back from leading a dive trip to St. Croix.

How about a Tesla contingent for my Cozumel trip next february? Can't drive your Model S there, but the diving is excellent.

That sounds interesting. When and where?

That sounds interesting. When and where?

The details won't be nailed down for several more weeks. However:

- End of February
- Occidental Grand Cozumel
- Diving with Sand Dollar Sports
- All-inclusive, 8 nights, 6 days diving, all meals, open bar
- Daily pickup at the hotel pier for morning two-tank trip
- Additional dives (including at least one night dive) can be set up

I used to teach (before kids ;-), and was a PADI instructor (still am, but inactive), and SDI/TDI Instructor Trainer. Dove all around the world, but the highlights were definitely Malaysia Sipadan (Asia), Palau (Pacific), and the caves of the Yucatan peninsula (Americas).

I found it interesting to see the similarities between deep technical diving and EV trip planning. Both are concerned with a finite limited resource (gas / battery capacity), as well as terrain (depth / hills) and variable (exertion / speed) factors affecting consumption of that resource. The techniques for both are similar, although a mistake for the former can be more impacting.

I found it interesting to see the similarities between deep technical diving and EV trip planning. Both are concerned with a finite limited resource (gas / battery capacity), as well as terrain (depth / hills) and variable (exertion / speed) factors affecting consumption of that resource. The techniques for both are similar, although a mistake for the former can be more impacting.
That's a fascinating comparison - I never thought about it this way but you are absolutely correct. As a hobby I write a free (open source) dive log program (Subsurface) that also has a dive planning component. And yes, that is indeed really similar.

I used to teach (before kids ;-), and was a PADI instructor (still am, but inactive), and SDI/TDI Instructor Trainer. Dove all around the world, but the highlights were definitely Malaysia Sipadan (Asia), Palau (Pacific), and the caves of the Yucatan peninsula (Americas).

So true. My wife and I got a good giggle out of reading your comparison because it is so true. It never occurred to me before that they are so similar.
Thanks for the eye opener.

So yet another thread to waste time. :rolleyes:

I'm leaving in a couple of days for Utila (Honduras) for my first diving trip... getting certified down there.. I've been doing the PADI e-Learning all week -- have one last section (out of five) to go, likely will do that today.

I'm going on this trip with a few other well seasoned drivers and also a PADI instructor, so I think I'll be in good hands. Doing the confined and open water parts as soon as I can when I get down there (Sun/Mon) and then hope to do a couple of dives per day.

I already bought some basic gear to start out: Mask, snorkel, short boots, dive socks, and a 3mill shori wetsuit. And Dive Optx so I can read the gauges. :) Just for fun, I'm going to the local dive shop's "discover SCUBA" tonight.

Oh, and yeah, one of the first things that occurred to me in the PADI course was the similarities of air and power planning.

So yet another thread to waste time. :rolleyes:
I'm here to please :cool:

I already bought some basic gear to start out: Mask, snorkel, short boots, dive socks, and a 3mill shori wetsuit. And Dive Optx so I can read the gauges. :)
Most important thing to buy? Dive computer. And once you have that, look at Subsurface (free and open source - a hobby project of mine to log your dives)