Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing Dual Charger my self?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is there any instruction to install Duel charger my self
My car is in the Middle east and the closest service station in Germany?

I have P85D 2014 from the USA
another question is would the EU Wall charger work with my car?
thanks

Physically you could do the install. Unfortunately it would do nothing until you programmed the charger as a slave unit and used Tesla's software to enable it in your firmware.

So in short, no.

Also, if your car is US spec it will have a single phase charge port/chargers, so EU charger won't work. Need a US/Canada/Japan one. Since you're unlikely to get 80A from one phase in the EU, dual chargers won't help you much, if at all, anyway.

The physical installation isn't hard, but unless you have a Tesla service computer, you won't be able to enable it. Your best shot is to schedule a vacation in Germany. Except that like wk057 says, a North American spec car won't work with the European charging system.

is there any instruction to install Duel charger my self
My car is in the Middle east and the closest service station in Germany?

I have P85D 2014 from the USA
another question is would the EU Wall charger work with my car?
thanks

As others have said, you can't install it yourself.

If your car is a US spec. car then the wall supplies from EU won't work, the plug is different. You should buy a wall charger from the US, either Tesla HPWC or another brand, and get an electrician to install it for you in Dubai. UAE has EU-type plugs and voltage, right? Still, the electrician can hook up a hard-wired US spec. wall supply on a 1-phase connection with sufficient amperes. I think it would be illegal to install a US outlet such as a NEMA 14-50? Perhaps it's legal if you do it just in your garage?

Is this the first P85D in Dubai??? Congratulations!

To the OP, as others have said, installing it isn't hard. It's activating it. I'm not even sure Tesla would activate something on your car if an authorized service center didn't install it, either.

As for the US spec Model S charging in Europe, there are adapters. Just use the TSL02 to J1772 adapter that came with the car and a cable like this:
J1772 to 62196-2 32A Electric Vehicle Charging Plugs / Cable

I've seen the service doc for the dual charger addon (thanks to a relative in MA). One of the first steps is something like "Connect the second charger to the master charger's connectors, open Tesla software, set charger as slave charger." Then proceed with the install, then configure the firmware with Tesla's software. All has to be done physically with their software.

And again, EU spec wall connector will not work either, and you'll likely never get > 40A per phase in an EU residence at the right voltage. Dual chargers is probably pointless without an EU spec car there.

As others have said, you can't install it yourself.

If your car is a US spec. car then the wall supplies from EU won't work, the plug is different. You should buy a wall charger from the US, either Tesla HPWC or another brand, and get an electrician to install it for you in Dubai. UAE has EU-type plugs and voltage, right? Still, the electrician can hook up a hard-wired US spec. wall supply on a 1-phase connection with sufficient amperes. I think it would be illegal to install a US outlet such as a NEMA 14-50? Perhaps it's legal if you do it just in your garage?

Is this the first P85D in Dubai??? Congratulations!

I really Dont know if its the 1st one In UAE
what would be the fastest charger to buy (wall charger ) or the HPWC
i have the Vin 86 Tesla Roadster Signature 2009 and i have the High Out put charge laying down here.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you read and clearly UNDERSTOOD that a US car has no warranty and is incompatible with your area of the world?
Why did you buy it, if you knew this?
i have alot of money

I've seen the service doc for the dual charger addon (thanks to a relative in MA). One of the first steps is something like "Connect the second charger to the master charger's connectors, open Tesla software, set charger as slave charger." Then proceed with the install, then configure the firmware with Tesla's software. All has to be done physically with their software.

And again, EU spec wall connector will not work either, and you'll likely never get > 40A per phase in an EU residence at the right voltage. Dual chargers is probably pointless without an EU spec car there.

thank alot buddy

- - - Updated - - -

I like your style :)

Tesla does make a Roadster to Model S charging adapter. If you have a US Roadster HPC installed, then that would work.
would it be a fast charge?

- - - Updated - - -

To the OP, as others have said, installing it isn't hard. It's activating it. I'm not even sure Tesla would activate something on your car if an authorized service center didn't install it, either.

As for the US spec Model S charging in Europe, there are adapters. Just use the TSL02 to J1772 adapter that came with the car and a cable like this:
J1772 to 62196-2 32A Electric Vehicle Charging Plugs / Cable

you the man
so i could use the power stations here in town.
Do u think i would need a update to use that cable and charge the car around town

thank alot buddy

- - - Updated - - -

would it be a fast charge?

Assuming you have regular 3-phase EU service at 32A per phase you'd be able to charge at 6-7kW, which would be somewhere around 20 MPH/32 KPH. If you actually have the HPC maxed with 70A single phase input (not sure I've heard of that in EU without a transformer) then you could charge up to ~28MPH with single chargers and ~50 MPH with dual chargers.

Where do plan to obtain a second slave charger? Doubt Tesla will just ship all the necessary equipment to you. If they agree to that, then they'd probably have no problem configuring your car remotely.

Great. So basically most of the service docs are useless unless you have access to Tesla proprietary software.

Do u think i would need a update to use that cable and charge the car around town

No need for a software update. The Roadster to Model S adapter is just an electrical plug converter. The car doesn't "know" what type of outlet it's plugged in to, just the voltage and that it's AC power.

Also consider the US Chademo adapter if there are any of those around, or if you need to charge a lot quickly at home you could buy a Chademo charger at home (you said you have a lot of money )

If cost is not an issue then get a CHAdeMO point installed and buy a CHAdeMO adaptor from the US. You should be able to get 45kW which is more than twice as fast as a HPWC.

Tesla's European service centres will not be able to help you - you will need to take the car back to the US if needs TM. I recall an owner who had imported their car to Indonesia (?) and who was stuck on a really old version of firmware because a) his 3G SIM didn't roam on to any of the networks available there and b) his software is so old that it does not support wifi tethering. He offered to pay a TM engineer to fly out and upgrade the car to the latest software and they declined.

you the man

I don't see why you'd need an update. Just plug in both adapters and charge. The cable adapter looks like it only uses two legs of the 3phasAlsoe to charge at single phase.

Also, you can contact Tesla Motors directly and buy a US spec Supercharger from them. I think they're only around $100k USD now. You might even be able to convince them to have one connector TSL02 and the other one Type2. Either that or just get one of each ;)