Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SRRSCCA autocross results 8-14-10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are the results from the autocross in Boise on 8 14 10.

I am only posting the results of the street legal cars with license plates. Not included are the kart's, Lola's, and Radical's.

XP 23......Nick Peterson..........Lotus...................Red........51.498.....1
SSM 17....Allan Densmore.......2002 Corvette.....Black......51.687.....2
SSM 14....Lynn Proctor..........2005 Viper...........Red........51.876.....3
SM 64.....Alfie La Peter..........1998 BMW M3.......White......52.024....4
SSM 36....Brian McGaha.........Corvette................Red........52.263....5
SSM 411...Blair Reid...............2010 Tesla.............Red........52.834....6
BSP 13.....Chris Schultze.........2006 Subaru STI....Black.....52.916.....7
XP 111.....Ron Slaughter.........2005 Lotus Elise....Green.....53.03......8

SS......110...Roger Reid............2010 Tesla............Red........57.75.....30

IMS......6 .....Greg Shain............95 Acura Integra..White.....68.349....73

My son, Blair drove my red Roadster Sport to 6th (of cars with License plates) and within 1.336 seconds of the fastest cars in a field of about 73.

I finished about 30th for the 4th time ever in an autocross. What did I learn? Fixate on the next turn (gate) during your existing turn.

My roadster is running Hoosier A6's with the sway bars soft up front, firm in the back. Hawk racing brake pads. Turn off the traction control. Set the power level to performance. The battery was charged to standard setting (180 ideal miles). Don't charge any higher as there is no room in the battery for regenerative braking. Be smooth on the accelerator (I have overloaded the system and had to key off and key on again).

I plan to remove shims in the front to increase the negative camber. I will post how I did this when I am done. The reason to do this is for better cornering as I still fight off the (less than full throttle) understeer. Full throttle oversteer even with TC turned off is easily controled with your right foot. What a rush. My car is still SS legal.

This car is a blast to race and gets a lot of attention. The comments are "it's so quiet, and unbelievably fast".

Roger did you get a second set of wheels for your Hoosiers? What did you get?
I assume you had a wheel alignment done to get the max negative camber without removing shims, can you post the specs of your wheel alignment?
I'm thinking about starting autocrossing with mine.

Roger did you get a second set of wheels for your Hoosiers? What did you get?
I assume you had a wheel alignment done to get the max negative camber without removing shims, can you post the specs of your wheel alignment?
I'm thinking about starting autocrossing with mine.

I purchased a set of wheels from Tesla parts department. The Tesla wheels are a 5 lug bolt pattern versus the Lotus 4 bolt pattern. So the options are limited. I went with the 225 on the rear and a 205 front. The tire size selector for the ABS worked with these tires. Without selecting a new tire size the ABS and regen braking don't respond. The tire size selector is a screen choice, just follow the directions when you select this option.

I have not had the car aligned yet. I removed and relocated the bracket holding the wiring to the wheel sensor. This bracket is the only shim that can be removed. There are no other shims. Removing/relocating the bracket (shim) does not affect the toe in or steering because the shim is outside the steering arm connection. After removing the bracket I only got an estimated -1.5 degrees camber. The Tesla needs -2.5 degrees camber.

I also changed the brake pads to a Hawk race pad from Sector 111.

I adjusted the front sway bar to the outer hole (soft). I adjusted the rear sway bar to the inner hole (firm). The front shock set to 5 and the rear shock set to 9. Do not charge the battery more than standard full charge (180 mile range) or you will loose all or part of the regen braking.

What did you mean by overloaded the system? What happens?

Upon snapping the accelerator to full power, the power died. Instant freewheeling. No regen braking. Stop, key off, key on, put back in drive and continue. In my opinion my instant accelerator snap was the culpret. I have learned to feed the accelerator.

Autocross in my opinion is the perfect race choice for the Tesla. It has the capability of being top (street legal) car at an event.

Last edited: