Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still no M5 vs. P85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO Model S' biggest rival should be large sports sedans like the BMW M5 and Audi RS6 rather than Lamborghini Aventador. From a 3 year old video we can see that even the P85 beats the M5 on a drag race, albeit BMW starting w/o launch control and skidding a little bit. I really want to see an M5 getting absolutely mocked by a P85D. P85D has been around for a while and a good bunch has been delivered, I would've thought we'd seen some by now. Anyone within reach of both of these, could you arrange something?

What surprises me is we still haven't seen any serious track driving reports from P85Ds.

Before the cars came out, there was a lot of discussion about how the power limiting would be changed with the dual motors - a lot of us were thinking it should be quite a bit harder to push the car into power limiting and the car should recover faster, but it was all theory.

I'm still very curious what the results will be, but I haven't seen any.
Walter

IMHO Model S' biggest rival should be large sports sedans like the BMW M5 and Audi RS6 rather than Lamborghini Aventador. From a 3 year old video we can see that even the P85 beats the M5 on a drag race, albeit BMW starting w/o launch control and skidding a little bit. I really want to see an M5 getting absolutely mocked by a P85D. P85D has been around for a while and a good bunch has been delivered, I would've thought we'd seen some by now. Anyone within reach of both of these, could you arrange something?

That's probably because it's no contest. The M5 will get spanked badly by the P85D.

The matchup I'm still waiting for is the P85D vs. Audi RS7. The RS7 is the closest to a twin the P85D has.

Both are comparable in size, shape, doors, price, seating (if you option the P85D with the rear executive seats), AWD, and performance. 0-60 and 1/4 miles times are reportedly within fractions of each other.

No one is going to cross shop a P85D and a Ferrari, Lambo, or Hellcat for that matter, but many, many people will cross shop the P85D and RS7.

The matchup I'm still waiting for is the P85D vs. Audi RS7. The RS7 is the closest to a twin the P85D has.

Both are comparable in size, shape, doors, price, seating (if you option the P85D with the rear executive seats), AWD, and performance. 0-60 and 1/4 miles times are reportedly within fractions of each other.

No one is going to cross shop a P85D and a Ferrari, Lambo, or Hellcat for that matter, but many, many people will cross shop the P85D and RS7.

100% agree.

Just last week I saw an RS7 and asked myself the same question. I should say I heard it before I saw it, not a subtle car when accelerating, but it is quick...

as a DD?

the guy from Acccidental Tech podcast just talked for like 40minutes , he is a big BMW guy who DDs on M5 and basically says p85d beats the hell out of it, hands down. to quote: "m5 now feels slow, and light".

as a track car or racer?

....dont even ask ;)

I'm not an American but IMHO straight line acceleration is what matters in real life. It is necessary for overtaking, at red lights etc. Unless you are a petrolhead(not that it's a bad thing) who likes having a track day every once in a while, lapping the Nurburgring in a short time, albeit being awesome, isn't that necessary for a sedan like the Model S. (it is essentially like a utility car) I for example never had the conditions on the streets to drive like you are on track, accelerating is easily doable though.

It is quite amazing that the P85D has the potential to absolutely smoke the M5 in a straight line. Up until 4 years ago M5 was the god of performance sedans. Although it still would kick Tesla's butt on track, it doesn't stand a chance in a straight line.

I'm not an American but IMHO straight line acceleration is what matters in real life. It is necessary for overtaking, at red lights etc. Unless you are a petrolhead(not that it's a bad thing) who likes having a track day every once in a while, lapping the Nurburgring in a short time, albeit being awesome, isn't that necessary for a sedan like the Model S. (it is essentially like a utility car) I for example never had the conditions on the streets to drive like you are on track, accelerating is easily doable though.

It is quite amazing that the P85D has the potential to absolutely smoke the M5 in a straight line. Up until 4 years ago M5 was the god of performance sedans. Although it still would kick Tesla's butt on track, it doesn't stand a chance in a straight line.

Agree. The Model S is not a track car and was never intended to be. It's performance on the road under every day driving conditions that matters and here the Model S excels.

Well, obviously provided that this "contest" will be limited to the one thing the P85D does best. The 1/4 mile race is very much an American obsession.

Id actually limit that to the 0-60 being its strongpoint. The MS quickly tapers off much above that. For the 1/4 mile run the BMW clocks in at the low 11's mark and the P85D is in the high 11's to mid 12s - and the 1/2 mile measure would leave a much bigger gap.

Oh, sure, blasting like a bat out of hell from a halt through the quarter mile is "every day driving". Seems slightly disingenuous to define what the Tesla excels at as "everyday driving" while everything else is supposedly of secondary importance.
I consider one of the the main "every day" purposes of such a car to perform on the motorway's left lane at speeds of 100 mph+ while maintaining a decent range. I'm not quite sure that the Tesla outperforms any competitor in that discipline.

Oh, sure, blasting like a bat out of hell from a halt through the quarter mile is "every day driving". Seems slightly disingenuous to define what the Tesla excels at as "everyday driving" while everything else is supposedly of secondary importance.
I consider one of the the main "every day" purposes of such a car to perform on the motorway's left lane at speeds of 100 mph+ while maintaining a decent range. I'm not quite sure that the Tesla outperforms any competitor in that discipline.

I completely agree; however, given the venue that you are expressing this point with, Im not so sure you will find a bunch of people paying the respect to that sobering thought that it deserves. ;)

This is something I'd really like to see. If our theories about the reasons behind power limiting are correct, it is likely that the P85D will do a lot better on the track than the P85 did with the same programming - and there's likely some additional potential to be unlocked with tuner style programming and direct temperature measurement if that becomes feasible.

As I noted upthread, I haven't seen a single video showing when the P85D gets into power limiting under race driving, or how the power limiting compares to past versions.
Walter