Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defer X delivery till 2016 for less tax?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Certainly, if this passes, and if I were an early Model X reservation holder, I'd wait the couple extra months (at most...I think you're right in that a majority of reservation holders won't have to worry about making a decision) to save a couple thousand dollars.

Now, I'm over-reaching beyond the scope of your question, and maybe I should start a different thread, but I'd like to see them put some sort of a vehicle transaction price cap on the incentive. If the goal is truly to spur clean car sales, that needs to be done more at the bottom end of the market, not the top. I think a vast majority of people who are buying Teslas are ultimately buying them because it's the best/safest/coolest car, not because of the associated financial incentives. Those incentives certainly do help, but I wonder what percentage of people would still buy a Tesla if some portion the various government financial incentives didn't exist.

Ultimately, putting a $40-50k transaction price cap would mean that they could give more a more significant incentive to the lower-cost clean cars without raising the overall cost of the program, which I think would spur demand where it's needed. Also, this would then help the Model 3 be even more affordable and really encourage mass adoption in a couple of years.

If the goal is truly to spur clean car sales, that needs to be done more at the bottom end of the market, not the top. I think a vast majority of people who are buying Teslas are ultimately buying them because it's the best/safest/coolest car, not because of the associated financial incentives.

Ultimately, putting a $40-50k transaction price cap would mean that they could give more a more significant incentive to the lower-cost clean cars without raising the overall cost of the program, which I think would spur demand where it's needed. Also, this would then help the Model 3 be even more affordable and really encourage mass adoption in a couple of years.

Yeah this is a bit off topic, but I strongly disagree with your proposition! Right now the demand may be lacking because there isn't a "really good" low cost EV out there. And I have the most faith in Tesla given that they were the first company to produce an EV worth owning IMO. While, increasing the incentive for lower end cars would certainly help, I don't think it should be done at the cost of more expensive cars. Saving gas money, oil change cost, access to HOV lanes, free charging at superchargers, cost of electricity being 1/3 of gasoline, and state incentives were all factors that allowed us to order our P85D.

My dad had a set lease budget, which the P85D was way over. I calculated his monthly expense on gas and found that it was $350/month!! Since there is no gas expense with a Tesla, I was able to add that $350 to increase his monthly lease budget. Then the P85D was just outside our reach. I found out that California has a $2500 credit when buying or leasing an EV! That comes out to $70/month. That brought the price down just enough so it fit my dad's budget! Now we're waiting for it to hit production:cool:

Anyways, not everyone is in our position, but incentives certainly help ease the bill! For example, this guy was able to calculate the total cost of ownership of his Tesla over 8 years and found that it was only a few grand more than owning a Honda Odyssey! That was his reason for purchasing a Tesla
Tesla Model S Cost of Ownership vs. Honda Odyssey

Back to the OP. Although the longer wait will kill you, if there are upgrades you weren't able to get due to financial constraints, a few extra grand will certainly help! Itl be worth it in the long run:)

Curious what was your dad's lease limit/budget? :)

It was $1100/month! LOL. Once we added the $350 for gas and the $70 state incentive, the new budget was $1520. Without that $70 state credit, he could have still gotten a base P85D with tech package (which I would have been more than happy with) but he had to get the red color, the pano roof, the next gen seats, and the tech package. He would rather have the 85D with everything he wanted rather than a "strippy" P85D. Thankfully the state credit allowed us to get what both of us wanted!