Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

impact of no 3G signal in parking garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. just wondering what happens with a model s if you park it in a parking garage (think apartment) underground where there is little to no reliable cell signal for the car. obviously the app communication to the car would not work but does the car keep trying to acquire a signal like a cell phone? does this mean the car when not plugged in (since I can't do that all the time in the parking garage) will lose charge faster since its going to keep trying to acquire a signal?

thanks!

That's my situation...none or 1 bar. I still keep the car on "always connected" so when its out it may get an update and I don't have to fuss with the setting. I don't notice any significant power issue other than the normal vampire drain. Leaving it unplugged once in while won't hurt it at all. You can always have the service center do an update for you.

I leave my car with energy savings on and not always connected all the time because I can't charge at home. I leave my car parked a lot, and I want to conserve energy as much as I can. Charging is a hassle for me.

This does not appear to affect software updates. I still get updates; although, I'm generally low on the priority list for some reason. I don't think it's because of the energy settings I have in my car.

I haven't found it to be particularly draining. However, I always have energy savings on and always connected off. However, I'd suggest that the 12V battery in the Model S has a lot more energy stored than the battery in a cellphone, so the drain shouldn't really be that much, unless a lot of other things are also on.