Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Support TMC -- but to the tune of how many $$$?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pollux

Supporting Member
[moderators, please feel free to move this thread to a more appropriate forum if need be]

Hi,

Recently, an industrious TMC member generated some funding for the guy who maintains supercharge.info. I'm ashamed to admit I hadn't previously thought about the expenses incurred in operating these websites. So I gladly ponied up a few bucks (ok, $50) for supercharge.info.

Which brings me to TMC. I use it all the time. All the danged time! Since maybe June, 2013. There's no price list anywhere. If it's making money off of ads, that's not glaringly obvious. Costs incurred aren't obvious either. The most guidance I have is the "Support TMC" button, which leads to a menu drop-down that offers $20, $50, $100 and Custom.

Can anyone tell me what kinds of costs are incurred by TMC? What kind of money comes in? Who contributes? Are the "owners" of TMC also shelling out from their own pockets? I very much appreciate that the moderators put in huge chunks of time, and I'd guess that they earn non-cash compensation such as: hassle, disagreement, annoyance, opprobrium and occasional kudos.

Thanks for any and all feedback, data and suggestions.

Alan

Every once in a while, to keep the ads away, I pitch in .08% of what I've made, so far, on my TSLA :smile: (about $50)

also, I'm thinking anyone using the word "opprobrium," is going to be able to figure pretty much anything out all right :wink:

I don't know, I'm looking for some favorable treatment other than elimination of ads before I give any more. Soon as the mods who've been slacking start kicking down some of their high reputation points for my posts I'm in again. :)

(All kidding aside, it's about time I drop some more for TMC... thanks for the reminder.)

Opprobrium to platypus in only 4 posts!

Irrational and quite touching faith expressed re my rational abilities in only one post (thanks, @MikeL!)!

I love it!!!

Sadly, no additional data about potential site costs, who owns it, what might be coming out of pocket, and so forth. Sigh.

I'm thinking about donating a platypus to TMC.

Alan

P.S. Anyone else think that one of the kids watching the beast is simultaneously picking his nose?

Platypus_in_Geelong.jpg

Ads for one. Trust me, as popular as this forum is, they're making a good profit I'm sure. The independent supercharge guy not so much.

I hear that Doug is making plans for a helipad on his second yacht...

:facepalm:

If he manages to make more money than he has in running cost, good for him. If he makes more than 20¢ per hour spent on TMC I'd be shocked...

The ads disable when you donate, I think regardless of the amount. I have chipped in a few times myself. Everyone should!

I'm sure not much money is made from ads and even more sure that Doug is certainly not getting rich off this site. But the site has potential to be huge, together with Tesla. Then new servers, bandwith etc. has to be added.

Ads for one. Trust me, as popular as this forum is, they're making a good profit I'm sure. The independent supercharge guy not so much.

Hi, @InternetDude,

Where are you seeing these ads? I haven't seen an ad on this website for I don't know how long.

Also, despite an enthusiastic membership, we're not talking Yahoo! home page here. We're talking fractions of a cent per page view per ad, and likely average or even below-average click-through rates. I'm hard put to imagine that this site breaks even w.r.t. basic operational expenses (e.g., site hosting), hence I wonder whether the difference is being made up out of some nice guy's pocket.

Alan

Rather than contribute your money, the best thing you can do is contribute your knowledge. That way, the entire community can profit from your knowledge and not just a few people.