Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apologies to Leaf owners but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I finally bring my Model S home for good, and move the Leaf out of the charging spot in the garage, I am made well aware that there's nothing like driving a Tesla to make your Nissan Leaf (SL fully loaded with every option) feel like a piece of crap. I'll be glad to see it go back to Nissan next month. It's been a fun progression for me.

Big Engine -> Small engine -> hybrid -> "starter" EV -> Tesla

I've reached my destination. I can't imagine going back again.

I, unfortunately, am on the opposite path. I am currently driving a rented Leaf while my Model S is in the shop for the next couple weeks. Pretty painful, but at least I still don't have to go to the gas station!

I dunno, I was thinking maybe a Leaf as the 2nd vehicle for the household, instead of a second model S.

The top model is quite loaded with stuff, and has stuff the S doesn't... and for 1/3 the price sure it will be less of a vehicle... like 1/3 the range.
But it would be the grocery getter... don't need an S for that.

My lease is up in less than a week. My Tesla delivery date has unfortunately slipped to April.

I have mixed emotions about handing back the Leaf, overall it has been a very practical, affordable, vehicle with better 0-40mph acceleration than most 4-banger economy vehicles. Over the past 2 years I got the tires rotated and filled up the wiper fluid a few time and saved hundreds on gas by charging at nighttime off-peak rates. I am looking forward to getting the Tesla for sure, but if Nissan improves the styling and increases the range it might be on my shortlist along with the 3 & Bolt in a few years when it is time to replace my wife's car.

small ice -> big ice -> hybrid -> "starter" EV -> Tesla

Last edited:
As I drive my LEAF daily, I have to think of the little things... It is more narrow than Model S so parking is a little easier. If someone door-dinged me I wouldn't be as devastated as I would if they had done it to a Model S. Registration and insurance are less expensive, ... Less likely to get a speeding ticket.... Yeah, trying not to dwell on what I am missing.

I dunno, I was thinking maybe a Leaf as the 2nd vehicle for the household, instead of a second model S.

The top model is quite loaded with stuff, and has stuff the S doesn't... and for 1/3 the price sure it will be less of a vehicle... like 1/3 the range.
That's what we have. Admittedly, the Leaf will hopefully be replaced by a Model X eventually, but we wanted a second electric car and needed to keep the big van for moving kids / dogs / etc... so we went with the Leaf, fully loaded top model.
It's not a Model S, but it's a lot more fun to drive than the ICE van :)

As I drive my LEAF daily, I have to think of the little things... It is more narrow than Model S so parking is a little easier. If someone door-dinged me I wouldn't be as devastated as I would if they had done it to a Model S. Registration and insurance are less expensive, ... Less likely to get a speeding ticket.... Yeah, trying not to dwell on what I am missing.
That's pretty much the exact same list that makes my wife and me nervous every time we take the Model S out. That's why her next car will the be smaller Model 3. I may even need to trade down to a 3 for the same reasons.

That's the other thing... my kids are coming into driving age. They are now convinced they do not want to own an ICE car themselves, and groan when they have to ride in one. They chuckle and point things out like "no idling" signs when stopped at the school, "Duh!" They have all seen the light and will probably be learning on an e-car. A Leaf is much more kid friendly to learn on than an S..

Big Engine -> Small engine -> hybrid -> "starter" EV -> Tesla

Exactly the path I took. Unfortunately my Leaf does not come off lease until October.

- - - Updated - - -

This is exactly how we use our Leaf currently. It is a great car for around town. If we're driving local the Leaf is the car we use. The Model S comes out when we leave town.

About to be the same here, 12K miles in a Leaf and loving driving electric. Only 2-3 months away from ordering our S85 and becoming a pure electric family.
I fully intend to continue driving the Leaf to work - don't want to risk the Model S to the truck driving orangutans that stink up the parking lot at work.
When the kid is old enough his first car is likely to be the Leaf, so he will be learning to drive electric as well :)

I started with a Leaf also, and was planning to trade it when I bought the S85, but my wife claimed it. She loves the Leaf for being easy to drive and easy to park.

We now have a 100% electric garage, we share the same charger. It's amazing that there are no petroleum fumes anywhere in the house or garage.

When I occasionally go back to the Leaf, it's like going from a car to a bicycle....

The Leaf was our first EV. We took delivery in May 2011 after waiting for a year. Prior to that we had a 2006 Prius and a 2010 Altima hybrid (both went to our kids). Once I got my Model S in May 2013 we were all in EV and never going back. The Leaf was nice but we experienced a 25% loss of range over the 39 month lease. Range dropped rapidly at highway speeds and with A/C on. When we turned it in we elected to get a Fiat 500e for my wife. She loves it and it does not have the freeway or A/C issues we had with the Leaf. i am disappointed that Nissan did not figure out a way to increase range at least to 150 miles. Of course nothing compare to my Model S which is hands down the best car I have ever owned. Our Fiat 500e lease is timed to end right about the time the Model 3 should be out. Can't wait!