Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Control Knobs for a 1.5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine would break by looking at them hard. The service centers always replaced them. Back in the day they had a supply on hand because they broke a lot. Last time they had to order them and took a couple weeks. I'd check with them. Of course, if it's still the same part, it'll still break easy. The only reason I went few as few pairs as I did was because I very rarely turned on the fan or changed the balance knob.

If you search the roadster forum, I recall an old thread that had a pic of different replacement knobs the owner had found on their own and put on. As I recall they were strong metal vs. plastic and looked like they wouldn't break.

Last edited:
Mine would break by looking at them hard. The service centers always replaced them. Back in the day they had a supply on hand because they broke a lot. Last time they had to order them and took a couple weeks. I'd check with them. Of course, if it's still the same part, it'll still break easy. The only reason I went few as few pairs as I did was because I very rarely turned on the fan or changed the balance knob.

The solution for the breaking knobs that I implemented for myself and that Tesla later did also (at least at the old Palo Alto SC) was to fill the inside of the knob with epoxy. That keeps the part that fits around the shaft from cracking. If you have one that is cracked but does not have pieces missing, you could probably repair it by tying a piece of wire around the cracked part to hold it tightly together, then filling the void with epoxy. If you can't find any other solution, I have one spare that I filled with epoxy six years ago but have not needed.

If you search the roadster forum, I recall an old thread that had a pic of different replacement knobs the owner had found on their own and put on. As I recall they were sting metal vs. plastic and looked like they wouldn't break.

At least one such example was VIN 55, which just sold. A picture of the knobs is included in the eBay listing

I have fixed 2 of these so far using the epoxy method. In both cases the inner piece had broken, but I had all the pieces to glue back in place and then fill the void with epoxy. I did not need to use wire to hold the parts in place because the epoxy was thick enough to keep everything in place while drying.

Thanks, all. Looks live I've stepped into a well known pile.

Yeah, one broken one that I have looks like it was already filled with black epoxy or potting compound.

I can affect a similar repair, but I'll also check with the Fremont SC. Thanks again.