Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to me rims with TPMS-anything special to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
A bit over a year ago I purchased a set of extra rims with TPMS from another TMC member. Finally getting tires mounted on them next week. The local tire shop asked me if they had already been programmed. My knee jerk response was yes, but I might need to reset them via the touch screen. But now I'm worried...do they need to be programmed to my car? They've sat unused in the boxes they were shipped in for over a year now.

They usually need to be "woken up" by a TPMS servicing device. If the tire shop can't do this (they often can't, as Tesla's newer TPMS service codes seem to be a bit hard to come across--perhaps especially in Missouri...), then Tesla will have to do this for you.

They usually need to be "woken up" by a TPMS servicing device. If the tire shop can't do this (they often can't, as Tesla's newer TPMS service codes seem to be a bit hard to come across--perhaps especially in Missouri...), then Tesla will have to do this for you.

Hmmm, that's not good. Can they do that after the new tires are mounted? Maybe I better call. Crud, was hoping it would be more simple.

Great, thanks. I called Danny at St. Louis Service this morning and he pretty much said the same. Worse case is that if there is a voltage issue that the TPMS would have to be replaced. I'm due for my 50K mile service around the end of March anyway and I'm away for Spring Break for the second week. So I'll just have to deal with the light for about a week at the most if they don't automatically wake up.

A quick follow up...
Had my new tires mounted on my "new to me" rims today and swapped out my winter tires/rims. Once I got the old tires/rims out of the back of the car I hit the TPMS reset button, drove at the prescribed 25mph and after about 5 minutes got the 'reset successful' notification. No muss, no fuss, no "wake up" by service necessary. I'm a happy camper.