Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY: iPhone to Micro USB cable swap.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I asked about this a couple of weeks ago, about swapping the iphone cable to a Micro USB since ( I have some sense) and don't own an iphone.
Nobody had a straight answer, so, I took it upon myself to just take a chance and meddle with it.
The process is surprisingly easy and quick. HOWEVER, she "conversion" doesn't seem to do much other than swap out the cable to be able to charge your phone.

I've never driven a Model S with the iphone dock and had an iPhone, so, I don't know if you can actually connect the phone to the car directly, but with my android Sony Xperia, I can only connect via Bluetooth.

But, if you would like to do this for X reason. Here it is:

Start off by taking off the base cover. Pull up from the back (the back being the side closest to the USB ports.
This cover is just sitting on it, by pressure.
Unscrew the two screws holding the cable bracket.

DSC_0029.JPG

At this point, the bracket can easily come off.
DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

Unscrew the two screws holding the bracket together to expose the cable.
Take off the cable from the bracket, and push it into the hole of the base. Don't worry, you won't lose it.
DSC_0034.JPG

You need to pull this end because the other USB end won't fit through the hole.
DSC_0033.JPG

Take off the cable and replace with the other, and reverse the steps.
I suggest you plug into the USB port first, and hide all the slack into the hole. Then, pull out the slack from the bracket hole so you have only the length you need.
You can pull out the cable through the bracket, or try to fit the head into the bracket neck but you won't likely find a Micro USB cable that has this exact measuring of the head. Besides, MOST Android Phones don't have the Micro USB port RIGHT in the center of the bottom of the hole. So, don't even bother.
DSC_0035.JPG

Make sure when you put the plate base down again, that you use the little half hole to get the cable through. You don't want to bend the cable leading up to the USB head.
DSC_0037.JPG

Enjoy.
And now you just have an extra cable. ;)

Thanks for reading.

BTW, does anyone want an iphone to USB cable?? LOL

-Ronnie

Last edited:
Looks legit. Curious though, for those of us who cringe at taking apart our MS (me), would an adapter like this work?

Apple 8 Pin Lightning Female to Mini USB Male Adapter Short Cable Data Sync and Charge Converter Connector for Mini USB Mobile Smart Cell Phone Tablet -OEM - Newegg.com

It supposedly converts from lightning to microUSB. I have an iphone 5c for work and a Note 4 for personal, so having both adapters readily available works for me.

Yes, BUT:
1. They are notoriously hard to find.
2. It'll cost you most than to just buy a simple USB 2.0 to Micro USB cable, which can run you as low as $3.00
3. It'll look kind of ghetto, in my opinion. And these are NOT the cars to do ghetto things to. lol
4. More bulk of cables that can otherwise be hidden and tucked away by this DIY.

So, for sure an alternative, but I assure you, this is one job that you won't risk breaking anything that'll cost you an arm and a leg to fix.

-Ronnie