Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hotel with HPWC in Galveston, TX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

benjiejr

Technogeekextraordinaire
Nov 20, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
Looking at PlugShare, I don't see any hotels in Galveston with HPWCs, does anyone happen to know of any that might not be listed on PlugShare? It's usually very comprehensive so I doubt it, but figured I'd ask.

Little background...

Thinking about a road trip from San Antonio to Houston/Galveston during Spring Break. I see 3 nice hotels in Houston that I could stay at overnight for a charge and then travel to Galveston the next day, but it's still a bit of a drive; would be nice if there happened to be a hotel in Galveston with an HPWC.

We are considering a stay at Hotel Sorella on the west side of Houston because it works out for some other plans, seems really nice, and has an HPWC. However, EV Trip Planner says it's about 1 hour away from Galveston (Moody Gardens, 81 Rated Miles) and this wouldn't leave us enough charge to make it back to the Columbus Supercharger. We would probably stop at the Houston Galleria for enough juice to make it to the Columbus Supercharger.

As a side note, I understand there is one bridge in/out of Galveston and it can have a lot of traffic at times... I'm wondering if I'm asking for trouble to go there during Spring Break? Bad idea? Someone familiar with the area, please advise.

Thank you in advance for any helpful information.

Regards, Ben

No HPWCs, but two hotels in Galveston have Blink J1772s, Hotel Galvez and Tremont Hotel. If you're staying overnight a J1772 is sufficient. I've driven from Austin to Galveston in my 60, charging in Columbus, overnight in the Hotel Galvez garage, and in Columbus on the way back. The valets sometimes park cars in the charging spaces as they're right by the exit, but they will move them when you arrive.

Lots of info like this in the Austin/San Antonio Tesla owners Google group. PM me if you need the link to join.

No HPWCs, but two hotels in Galveston have Blink J1772s, Hotel Galvez and Tremont Hotel. If you're staying overnight a J1772 is sufficient. I've driven from Austin to Galveston in my 60, charging in Columbus, overnight in the Hotel Galvez garage, and in Columbus on the way back. The valets sometimes park cars in the charging spaces as they're right by the exit, but they will move them when you arrive.

Lots of info like this in the Austin/San Antonio Tesla owners Google group. PM me if you need the link to join.

Thank you very much for this information. I will look at both of those hotels. Did you happen to stay at the Hotel Galvez or just park overnight in the garage? Only asking so I know if it's a nice hotel in your experience. Half of the fun for my 9 year old son is staying in a nice hotel!

I will send you a PM.

Thank you very much for this information. I will look at both of those hotels. Did you happen to stay at the Hotel Galvez or just park overnight in the garage? Only asking so I know if it's a nice hotel in your experience. Half of the fun for my 9 year old son is staying in a nice hotel!

I will send you a PM.
Yes, we stayed at the Galvez for a weekend last winter. (I don't think you can use their garage otherwise). It's a very nice old hotel. Check out the history displays downstairs.

Hotel Galvez is very near the beach- and while old it's well maintained. It has 2 Blink stations in the parking garage as noted above. Other charging options in Galveston are limited. There is a pay parking at the Starbucks downtown. and the other fancy hotel ( the Tremont) has charging. Otherwise, the next nearest charging that I'm aware of is off island--- The bridge in and out of Galveston can be crowed at times, but not likely a major problem with traffic on the bridge, more likely a problem with traffic on the island and especially on the Seawall during spring break. Watch out for the jaywalkers. they can be everywhere along Seawall. Should be nice weather wise over spring break. not so nice weather in August!

Really appreciate this @TexasEV and @MyJoule!

Both seem like nice hotels, but here's my dilemma: I've stayed at a hotel before that offered a J1772 connection and it was ALWAYS ICE'd. I spoke with hotel management and there was nothing they could do as they didn't record license plates and had no way to contact the guests - even if they could, I'm not sure it would have helped. It was my first Tesla road trip so I was a bit worried but I found another place to charge (not convenient) and I learned a lot.

I'd hate to get into a situation like this again so I figured the best way to avoid this is to just stay at a hotel with an HPWC. It's great for peace of mind!

@TexasEV, sounds like you don't think this will be an issue at the Hotel Galvez so _maybe_ I'll take a chance. Still thinking about it... I remember the range anxiety vividly! lol

How does a HPWC offer an advantage for this? A HPWC could be ICEd as easily as a J1772.

There are 2 J1772s in the Hotel Galvez garage that are accessible from three parking spaces. The garage is both self park and valet park. As I mentioned the valets often park cars in the charging spaces, which is ok because they will move a car if needed. No guarantees they won't be ICEd by other guests but it's unlikely all three spaces would unless there is a big function at the hotel that night and you arrive after they do. If that happens, the spaces will be clear later that night.

How does a HPWC offer an advantage for this? A HPWC could be ICEd as easily as a J1772.

You are right, but I guess in my limited experience the HPWCs are usually either in a valet location or a reserved area (away from the front doors) and I haven't seen them ICE'd; however, nearly every J1772 that I've seen has been. This might be because the J1772s weren't in a valet location and usually in a prime location (near the front doors) for the hotel and so they are typically taken by guests that either don't realize what they've done or don't think it's a big deal.

One more point about the garage- it's "locked" i.e. you need a code to open the gate to get into it- so it's really for guests only- Not likely you'll have too much trouble getting a charge there overnight. Just have to Pay Blink's charging fee ( I suspect it's not paid for by the hotel)

Tesla's "Destination Charging" program is looking for hotels that will host HPWC's. Talk it up and you and/or the hotel send e-mail to [email protected].

For reasonable hotels with good reviews, they will give the hotel the HPWC's and often help with install costs.

Great idea! I'll take note of the ones that I think would be good candidates. I know I plan my trips around them if I'm too far from a Supercharger (probably others do too) and the hotels may not even realize what a perk it might be to have one.

I'm planning a trip to Galveston in 2 weeks.

Tesla lists Moody Gardens as having 2 64 amp Tesla chargers in their parking lot.

Has anyone tried these ? Perhaps they weren't online when the OP started this thread.
This is great news. They must be brand new, they weren't there when I looked at the Texas map a few days ago. Also if you're coming down I-45, don't forget the new superchargers at the north Houston service center.

There are also 4 J1772 outlets for free at the Tanger Outlet mall at Exit 17 on I-45 They are charge point, but the mall is footing the bill for them-expecting you to buy something while you are charging- They were successful it only cost my daughter $60 to charge her Volt there the other day :smile: