Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in the movement of Supercharging Threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NOLA_Mike

May 11, 2013
Colorado
I gotta say I'm disappointed the moderators decided to move all the supercharging threads to regional threads. I was interested in where superchargers were going in around the country but I'm not interested in wading through a dozen regional threads to try and find them.

Just my opinion.

Mike

I kind of agree with you.

A lot of SuperCharger threads in Europe are in the local languague. Although I personally don't mind writing and reading in English a lot of the European users do I think.

Due to that fact we have a Netherlands, Belgium, France and Germany thread about SuperChargers.

As one of the moderators who made the case for the move, let me explain.

First, this forum has important topics that have, quite literally, gotten buried by the flood of Supercharger posts. It became clear that there needed to be a dedicated area for the Supercharger posts.

The question then became, should it be a subforum of Charging, or should we use the existing regional forums? There is a lot of cross-posting about SC sites in the regional forums, and as a general matter superchargers are primarily relevant to, and updated by, the people in the region.

Consequently, rather than creating a new area, we decided to use the existing regional forums for North American supercharging threads. Note that we made no changes to the European or Asian SC threads. Apologies to blueshift and others who regularly read all the SC threads regardless of geography, but we believe that this new structure will be more useful and less confusing.

Thanks for the explanation Robert and I certainly understand the reasoning behind the change. It was just that for me, I was able to come here and quickly scan for new posts in one place and see where there were updates to supercharger status across the country. When I was done I could mark the rest as read and move on until my next check. Now I have to delve down into many regional threads where there is also many other regional related posts if I want to see supercharger updates around the country. The result for me is that I will likely often not keep up with what's going on outside my region.

If given any input I would have certainly voted for just a dedicated supercharger subforum.

Mike

Thank you Robert for explaining the reasons behind that decision. Makes sense to me. I am not interested in Superchargers outside of California unless I am making a long trip, in which case I can go to the regional forum where I am traveling to.

I agree as well. I like to keep up on the Eastern Canada thread, and will pop in to the others as needed. Like it the way it is.

Thanks for the explanation Robert and I certainly understand the reasoning behind the change. It was just that for me, I was able to come here and quickly scan for new posts in one place and see where there were updates to supercharger status across the country. When I was done I could mark the rest as read and move on until my next check. Now I have to delve down into many regional threads where there is also many other regional related posts if I want to see supercharger updates around the country. The result for me is that I will likely often not keep up with what's going on outside my region.

If given any input I would have certainly voted for just a dedicated supercharger subforum.

Mike

If you click on 'New Posts', rather than 'What's New', all the regional subforums should be included in the feed. I realize that's not ideal, but if you do a quick check this way for any new supercharger threads and then go on with your regular way of scanning the forum, you should pick most of them up without having to open each region individually.

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 6.34.40 AM.png

Thanks Bonnie - I'll check that out. That's a forum feature I really haven't checked out so far. I assume it includes all new posts in all forums? In other words, if I click it while I'm in the Charging Standards and Infrasturcture subforum will it restrict to only New Posts in the Charging Standards and Infrasturcture forum and all subforums under it or will it always show all new posts on the whole site?

Thanks Bonnie - I'll check that out. That's a forum feature I really haven't checked out so far. I assume it includes all new posts in all forums? In other words, if I click it while I'm in the North America subforum will it restrict to only New Posts in the North America forum and all subforums under it or will it always show all new posts on the whole site?
All new posts on the site - which is why it is rarely used. I'd just scan it quickly for updated or new supercharger threads and then get back to safety!

If you click on 'New Posts', rather than 'What's New', all the regional subforums should be included in the feed. I realize that's not ideal, but if you do a quick check this way for any new supercharger threads and then go on with your regular way of scanning the forum, you should pick most of them up without having to open each region individually.

Agreed -- "New Posts" to scan the titles of updated threads, then "View First Unread" at the top of the thread header (to get to the new comments) is a quick and efficient strategy.

Of course -- when I popped in this morning, this thread was at the top of the list! :smile:

All new posts on the site - which is why it is rarely used. I'd just scan it quickly for updated or new supercharger threads and then get back to safety!

Is the forum software capable of being set up to show New Posts only for the subforum you are in and all subforums under it? To me, that would make it much more useful - if you hit New Posts from the main page you get all New Posts on the site. If you hit New Posts while in North America you get all New Posts in the North America forum and all the Regional Subforums under it.

Mike

Thank you Robert for explaining the reasons behind that decision. Makes sense to me. I am not interested in Superchargers outside of California unless I am making a long trip, in which case I can go to the regional forum where I am traveling to.

I agree with the split in the supercharger threads. When I am looking for an update on the Kingston Supercharger (which I have had to do waayy to often ), it is easy to find in the Eastern Canada Thread.

I pretty much ignor the different specific forums/sub-forums. I review "New Posts" each morning, and if I spy something of interest I "Subscribe" to it. That way I have collected all of the Supercharger threads that I am interested in. Then each morning I click on the "Settings" button at the top of the page and get a list new posts to only those subscribed forums. Works well for me.

Mike

agreed with Mike - i did really like keeping up with Supercharger news via a quick scan of thread titles. i do wish they had all been swept into a new subforum for supercharger-specific discussion. not sure it makes sense for them to be in the "TMC Community" forum, when they were previously located in the "Charging / Infrastructure" forum, since they're obviously charge/infrastructure related.

Mods, you guys do a great job keeping TMC a great resource. i humbly offer that it sounds like a bunch of us are open to the change being reverted =)