Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charging program for Europe (mentioned in Q4 2014 Shareholder Letter).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Benz

Nov 15, 2012
Netherlands
Q4 2014 Shareholder Letter:

"Our charging solutions are becoming even more widespread,
helping our customers to conveniently travel much further away
from home. In Q4, we installed a quarterly record of 125
Supercharger stations, and now have 380 Supercharger stations
energized globally. As an extension of our Supercharger
network, hotels and popular destinations have been installing our
high-powered wall connectors at such a rapid pace that we are
now coordinating these efforts as a Destination Charging
program. Almost 900 locations in Asia and North America
currently have 1,600 Tesla connectors installed. We plan to
expand the Destination Charging program into Europe in Q2 of
this year."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
progress.gif

Let's create a list of all the locations in Europe (per country) where such a Tesla high-powered wall connector has been installed, and/or where there is an indication that such a Tesla high-powered wall connector will be installed in the near future.

That would be really great. Although I'm interested to see how they are going to do this.

Since the European Model S has a Type 2 socket other vehicles could charge there as well.

I know the Type 2 socket on a Model S is slightly different, so they could make a connector which fits on Tesla vehicles only.

There was another important detail during the March 19th announcement.

Elon Musk also said that there is a huge network of Tesla Destination Chargers.

And regarding the question of Destination Charging relative to Supercharging, Elon Musk replied: "We will probably see longterm maybe a factor of ten more Destination Chargers than Superchargers. I mean they will be virtually everywhere."

It sure would be convenient to have a Tesla Destination Charger network that's about ten times bigger in total number of locations than the Tesla Supercharger network.

I think that this detail is actually going to really help to end the perception of range anxiety (on top of the Tesla Supercharger network and Range Assurance and Trip Planner).

It´s really strange what is happening in europe.... Tesla is forgetting destination charging program and forgetting country from south of Europe... like Portugal...Spain...

rdias, TESLA is not forgetting it is just really hard to get the necessary permits in France, Spain, Italy and probably Portugal as well. So it is taking MUCH longer, to implement the supercharger network in those countries, than initially expected. They will come but you will have to be patient....... Me as well since I would like to drive to Portugal as I used to do with my ex ICE..... I know hardcore EVfiles will say this is doable even today, but with a family of 7 such a trip needs to be painless so no superchargers=no trip!

rdias, TESLA is not forgetting it is just really hard to get the necessary permits in France, Spain, Italy and probably Portugal as well. So it is taking MUCH longer, to implement the supercharger network in those countries, than initially expected. They will come but you will have to be patient....... Me as well since I would like to drive to Portugal as I used to do with my ex ICE..... I know hardcore EVfiles will say this is doable even today, but with a family of 7 such a trip needs to be painless so no superchargers=no trip!

i dont think so... my friend.... something is happening... the burocracy in portugal is not a problem in our days... we do everything very quickly because we need external investiment...

Tesla is recruting since two years ago to open Madrid Shop and Barcelona Shop... and Lisbon ? they already send two technicians to repair two Model S and they have said that there is nothing for Portugal... really strange....

I think they will use the same protocol to check at the SuC if you have the option "Supercharging" enabled. The car coommunicates with the charger and identifies itself, and via GPRS/3G the charger checkes with the Tesla Database. There must be some kind of monitoring also to check the availability of the chargers.

That not really the truth, is A investment problem, the same problem because they don't open service centers and shop in Spain, Portugal, Etc.