Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

post-combining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May I politely voice a request? Humbly speaking and of course not, in any way, criticizing the obvious superiority of the inherently logical reasons that got us to where we are today?
Yes? Good.
The automatic combination of responses to various posts in a thread into a single response sometimes creates very hard to parse posts. Often there a multiple sub topics discussed in a thread. Let's say there's the main topic, and then there are discussions where people discuss certain other, related or sometimes (oops) not quite related issues. When responding to multiple posts in a thread that actually are about slightly different things then it is quite annoying that all those responses are combined into one post. Would it be possible to make this optional? I.e. to offer a way in the advance posting screen to request a separate post?

May I politely voice a request? Humbly speaking and of course not, in any way, criticizing the obvious superiority of the inherently logical reasons that got us to where we are today?
Yes? Good.
The automatic combination of responses to various posts in a thread into a single response sometimes creates very hard to parse posts. Often there a multiple sub topics discussed in a thread. Let's say there's the main topic, and then there are discussions where people discuss certain other, related or sometimes (oops) not quite related issues. When responding to multiple posts in a thread that actually are about slightly different things then it is quite annoying that all those responses are combined into one post. Would it be possible to make this optional? I.e. to offer a way in the advance posting screen to request a separate post?

I think the best way to handle this would be to use the multi-quote option and then your responses will be directly beneath the items you're replying to.

I agree with your issue, but for a slightly different reason. I don't really mind reading through an auto-combined post provided that the poster has quoted from each post he or she is responding to. I can context shift across a little gray line as easily as I can across a thick black one, given the guideposts. The auto-combined post also takes up less real estate on the screen, which is helpful.

My problem with auto-combined posts is when someone then wants to address one of the n comments in a long auto-combined post. Too often that second poster just hits "Reply with Quote", and then it's sometimes a mystery which particular bit of the auto-combined post is being addressed. Of course, the second poster can solve this by editing down the quoted section to include just the bits he or she is addressing, but (a) many people don't take the time and (b) TapaTalk doesn't make it easy (which is why I mostly use my laptop for posting and moderating).

I agree with your issue, but for a slightly different reason. I don't really mind reading through an auto-combined post provided that the poster has quoted from each post he or she is responding to. I can context shift across a little gray line as easily as I can across a thick black one, given the guideposts. The auto-combined post also takes up less real estate on the screen, which is helpful.
I understand the rationale and I see the benefit. I just wish that I could opt out of it when I think that it's two completely different things I'm responding to. I literally sometimes wait a few minutes (going to my other unread threads) and come back hoping that someone else posts so I get a new one...
My problem with auto-combined posts is when someone then wants to address one of the n comments in a long auto-combined post. Too often that second poster just hits "Reply with Quote", and then it's sometimes a mystery which particular bit of the auto-combined post is being addressed. Of course, the second poster can solve this by editing down the quoted section to include just the bits he or she is addressing, but (a) many people don't take the time and (b) TapaTalk doesn't make it easy (which is why I mostly use my laptop for posting and moderating).
Yes, the art of reasonable quoting is not evenly distributed among the people posting on TMC. And Tapatalk together with the issues with typing on a phone make it worse...