Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MIDWEST CARAVAN (Ohio to Maryland) for @TeslaRoadTrip 2015 – “Reach the Beach”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming you've already all read the official event thread here:
@TeslaRoadTrip 2015 - - April 17th-19th, 2015

This post is for a GROUP CARAVAN to drive FROM OHIO TO MARYLAND ... and we want YOU to join us!
We will be driving from the Midwest region through Pennsylvania and Maryland on Friday, April 17, 2015.

Tentative Schedule:
07:30 AM - Arrive at Macedonia, Ohio Supercharger
08:00 AM - Depart supercharger
09:30 AM - Arrive at Cranberry, Pennsylvania Supercharger
10:00 AM - Depart supercharger
11:30 AM - Arrive at Somerset, Pennsylvania Supercharger
12:30 PM - Depart supercharger (one hour stop includes lunch)
02:00 PM - Arrive at Hagerstown, Maryland Supercharger
02:30 PM - Depart supercharger
05:30 PM - Arrive at Salisbury, Maryland Supercharger

Again this schedule is open to refinement based on feedback from those planning to attend. Would you like to join us? Do you think we should leave earlier? Have you made any of these drives and if so, are my times off? I've rounded a bit for my estimated travel time (I think we can do better/faster without sacrificing too much range) (though may help if any 60kwh folks join). I've also allowed for 30 minutes at each supercharger to allow folks ample time to hit restrooms etc.

Currently RSVP'd to caravan:
1- arijaycomet (Ari) - 2014 Model S 85 (Silver)
2- ??

Can you post the route through the Baltimore area over to Salisbury? I'd like to join the caravan when you're near Baltimore.

From what I recall the distance going south via Baltimore wasn't any longer. But I was worried the travel time might be. How will it be on a Friday? Though really it's via 50 and the bridges we'll be hitting traffic. That's always been the case on my prior visits out that way.

Anyhow later when I'm near my PC I'll update the route and include you joining us when we hit the Baltimore area supercharger! Thanks.

Okay so I re-read your post and I think I better understand what you meant now. Not asking when we'd hit a nearby charger, but more so asking when we would actually pass via Baltimore and what route we would take. So here goes...

Google Maps would have us take I-70 east, to Route 100 and Route 2, down to 50 to cross over to the bay. However, there is also the alternate route of going down I-270 via Rockville MD so we can hit that supercharger if folks want. It is really six in one hand, half dozen in the other. It also will depend on the weather, and who joins us.

If we route via the Bethesda-Montgomery Mall supercharger then we have a 56 and 127 mile step from Hagerstown. However, if we SKIP the Bethesda S/C station, we have a longer drive (just shy of 180 miles). That might be tough for a 60 kWh if anyone with that were to join us.

What is probably going to work best is to wait and see how it goes-- either way I am confident you'll be able to join up with us and we can definitely schedule a stop along the way. What part of town do you live? And I can PM you my cell # to make sure how this goes. Something tells me our group may be rather small, however. :/

The Montgomery mall super charger only has two stalls and is frequently in use by people shopping. I recommend avoiding it if you can.

Ahh okay yeah I see that in the specs. Well, the Hagerstown to Salisbury distance is only 175 miles. I feel we should have no problem making that part of the trip without issues in the decent weather. But again that is for 80 kWh cars. At this point no 60k cars are in the caravan, and probably won't be... so we should be fine!

I would recommend against the southern route if it can be avoided. You don't want to be anywhere near the Capital Beltway on a Friday afternoon. Looking forward to meeting everyone in Maryland!

Yes, you want to stay as far away for the Capital Beltway as you can.

If you come via 100 probably a good place for me to meet you would be where 100 crosses 295. I can wait on the shoulder and just merge into the caravan when you come buy. Traffic will be heavy at this time just about anywhere you come through the Baltimore area and that's unavoidable.

Depending on the time the caravan reaches here, I would join too if you are coming near Baltimore. If you are doing I-70 to Rt 100, you would be coming through my neck of the woods.

Also, if there are 60 kWhs that do need top off, I would be glad to offer my charger (but it's only a 14-30).

Another possible route is I-97 to Rt 50. Google Maps always suggests Rt 2. At that time of the day, you would be pretty much against traffic until Rt 50.

Thanks for the feedback. At this point I'm really open to any path. Since nobody west of me has committed, I would love to meet those of you "along the way" -- so maybe pick an easy on/off meeting spot we can quickly convene and move along in Baltimore area?

Thanks for the feedback. At this point I'm really open to any path. Since nobody west of me has committed, I would love to meet those of you "along the way" -- so maybe pick an easy on/off meeting spot we can quickly convene and move along in Baltimore area?

Seems to me there is an ideal place to meet -- Annapolis. We all have to pass nearby Annapolis, whether we're coming from Baltimore and points further north/west or DC or Virginia and points south.

I will be finalizing the California leg April 1, but anticipate Columbus Ohio routing

- - - Updated - - -

Here's an idea, You plan the Ohio East section, and we will plug into that route. If your start point could be by a hotel/diner might be easier to wait for the west coasters.

MODS: Anyy chance for a LA-OH-MARYLAND CARAVAN 2015 sticky for coordination purposes?

I will be finalizing the California leg April 1, but anticipate Columbus Ohio routing

Here's an idea, You plan the Ohio East section, and we will plug into that route. If your start point could be by a hotel/diner might be easier to wait for the west coasters.

My only concern with that idea might be what route you want to take after Columbus. As per my thread i am starting two hours drive north of Columbus. So it is an extra 140+ miles for me to head to the new Grove City OHI supercharger station.

I'll watch for your updated post April 1, and then if you are going the path I suspect, we might meet up in either Somerset PA or worse case Hagerstown MD. Sadly I don't know the Columbus area well enough for hotel suggestions sorry.

I'm an EZ Pass holder, so no issues there. I'll recommend this to those who join the caravan too if possible. But it won't make or break the trip obviously. I'm looking at the Hagerstown to Salisbury trek being 175 miles approx. If that is correct, we'll want to avoid going "off route" to make sure we reach destination with ample charge. So anything that is along the ideal route is best. I'll have to see what I can find in my research. I don't know if people would want an early dinner, but Red Hot & Blue on Rt50 is an amazing BBQ place ;) tho I think the plan is dinner @ destination Friday

Nothing comes to mind, but there are a lot of shopping malls near there just off of 50, anybody have any specific ideas?

I'm partial to good food, but that might not make entire sense for those of us "in travel"... still, a good spot right easy on/off the path we are going is here:
Red Hot & Blue - Annapolis, MD, 200 Old Mill Bottom Road South, Annapolis, MD 21401

But another option would be the BMW Annapolis dealer nearby which has J1772 plugs, if people wanted to top off real quick at a slower charge rate:
31 Old Mill Bottom Road Annapolis, MD 21409

- - - Updated - - -

..and yet another option would be the Arundel Mills shopping area -- there are some NRG chargers (CHAdeMO and L2) near Best Buy and Medieval Times...

I'm partial to good food, but that might not make entire sense for those of us "in travel"... still, a good spot right easy on/off the path we are going is here:
Red Hot & Blue - Annapolis, MD, 200 Old Mill Bottom Road South, Annapolis, MD 21401

But another option would be the BMW Annapolis dealer nearby which has J1772 plugs, if people wanted to top off real quick at a slower charge rate:
31 Old Mill Bottom Road Annapolis, MD 21409

- - - Updated - - -

..and yet another option would be the Arundel Mills shopping area -- there are some NRG chargers (CHAdeMO and L2) near Best Buy and Medieval Times...

I think we should let the people traveling long distance decide where to meet but Arundel Mills would certainly be convenient for me.