Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crowd Funding an HPWC in Sheridan, WY — Casper and Gillette to Possibly Follow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cottonwood

Roadster#433, Model S#S37
Feb 27, 2009
Colorado
Even though the status of the Sheridan, WY Supercharger is "opening soon," it is taking forever...

Bighorn has connected me with the owner of the Hampton Inn in Sheridan, WY. The hotel owner is a Tesla owner and supporter, recommended by Bighorn. For some reason, Tesla has denied his request for a free HPWC through the Destination Charging program.

He is willing to pay for the installation of an HPWC with the full 100/80 Amp service at The Hampton Inn, offer its complementary use to guests, and to offer its use to others for at most a small day use fee that would include use of the WiFi and pool at the hotel.

For the purchase price of $750 for an HPWC, this sounds like a great deal for Tesla Owners! Even after the Sheridan Supercharger opens (someday...), Sheridan will be a useful overnight stop for cross-country travelers, and this HPWC at a hotel will be more convenient than Supercharging then checking in somewhere.

He also owns hotels in Gillette, WY and Casper, WY. To put HPWC's in those locations, he would want us to pay for the HPWC and installation. Let's see how much interest we can raise for Sheridan and start there first. If all goes well, and we have great interest to continue, then we can consider Gillette and Casper later.

Let's keep this simple, I am willing to ante up $250 if we can raise the other $500 (and change for shipping and tax). If you are in for this, all I need is your pledge to send me the funds via PayPal. You can make your pledge in this thread or PM me. Once we have the pledges in place, I will act as the banker, order the HPWC for Sheridan, and PM PayPal info to the supporters.

I would love to hear thoughts, comments, suggestions, and know who's in?

I would be curious as to why Tesla denied them a HPWC under their destination charging program, that seems weird. This seems like the ideal situation. Has someone besides this hotel owner called or contacted Tesla about this? Maybe they need a little more prodding. This is the first time I have heard of a denied under the destination program that sounds like such an ideal situation.

Great idea Cottonwood. I'm not planning to go east anytime soon but we need to get this corridor open. The sooner the better.
I'm in for $25

Thanks @webbbcam; only $475 to go!

I would be curious as to why Tesla denied them a HPWC under their destination charging program, that seems weird. This seems like the ideal situation. Has someone besides this hotel owner called or contacted Tesla about this? Maybe they need a little more prodding. This is the first time I have heard of a denied under the destination program that sounds like such an ideal situation.

I agree, it is interesting, but the best I can understand is that it has something to do with a future Supercharger going in less than a mile or two away.

The fact that the hotel owner is willing to ante up two or three times the cost of the HPWC in installation costs is enough credibility for me.

Let's support this guy. $475 and counting!!!

I don't travel via Sheridan much, I do go to Casper often. I'd kick in $50 for each location. It seems to me Tesla should really help hotels get chargers put in. It would be nice to see some thing in Rock Springs, Laramie and Evanston. I don't see even see any Lv2 round these towns. I have a level 2 in Riverton at my home I would share if anyone needs it. Getting a 80amp in soon too.

Tesla will give you the HPWC's if you find a destination hotel or ?? to install them for you. Then there would be no cost.

I don't understand the details, but it has something to do with being too close to a near term Supercharger. Anyway, Tesla turned him down, and he is still willing to pay for the install, which is 2 to 3 times the cost of an HPWC.

We only have $300 and change to go, out of $750 and change needed.

See Sheridan Crowd Funding - Google Sheets for details. If you pledge to me via PM, I will put you down as anonymous.

I'm in for $75. One other suggestion would be to see if the owner would keep a list of contributors and waive the nominal fee for those who contribute and subsequently stop for a quick charge. It doesn't seem to make sense to pay to charge at a HPWC that you helped fund.

Please put me down for $50 in Sheridan and $50 towards Gillette. These two will help us get to the Sound of Silence Rally and maybe on to Michigan for a visit via Rapid City! Thanks Cottonwood and Bighorn for all that you do in your spare time, which is know is very precious time, indeed! It will be nice to meet you someday Cottonwood, and thank you personally. I have had the pleasure of meeting Bighorn, having had our own mini rally here in Bozeman last fall. Bighorn, It will be nice to see you soon at Sound of Silence Rally, closer to your neighborhood. Thank you so much for inviting me! Montana is no longer the ion desert waste land and is soon to be fully connected East and West. I am really enjoying this Charging Structure expansion and the ease of travel it provides! Great work everyone! I'll check back later as this proceeds, perhaps I can chip in for Casper. I want to visit Moab someday and would want to help out Stevezzzz get back up here to Montana to visit his son and perhaps rendezvous with him again, perhaps this time see his new P85D!

Last edited:
Thank you all for your support. In the mean time, it looks like Sheridan may qualify for the Destination Charging program. Keep your pledges coming; your support, the hotel owner's support, and Tesla's Destination Charging program may get us multiple HPWC's in this Wyoming charging desert soon!

From my original post:
Bighorn has connected me with the owner of the Hampton Inn in Sheridan, WY. The hotel owner is a Tesla owner and supporter, recommended by Bighorn. For some reason, Tesla has denied his request for a free HPWC through the Destination Charging program.

There was a misunderstanding between the hotel owner and Tesla initially. While the hotel was not selected as a Supercharger site, there had been no discussion of Destination Charging. Those are two different, but often confused, programs at Tesla.

The good news is that the Hampton Inn in Sheridan and the Tesla Destination Charging program are now in touch with each other and working on details. While all of this is being sorted out, I will keep your pledges on hold. We will see how your wonderful and generous support can best be used when the deals are complete. I will send updates as things develop.

If you are in contact with other hotels that may be interested, give them the link to the Destination Charging Application, https://teslafactory.wufoo.com/forms/q7b8imo1g0og2v/.

Thanks again for your wonderful and generous support getting 80 Amp L2's into the charging desert of NE Wyoming!

From my original post:

There was a misunderstanding between the hotel owner and Tesla initially. While the hotel was not selected as a Supercharger site, there had been no discussion of Destination Charging. Those are two different, but often confused, programs at Tesla.

The good news is that the Hampton Inn in Sheridan and the Tesla Destination Charging program are now in touch with each other and working on details. While all of this is being sorted out, I will keep your pledges on hold. We will see how your wonderful and generous support can best be used when the deals are complete. I will send updates as things develop.

If you are in contact with other hotels that may be interested, give them the link to the Destination Charging Application, https://teslafactory.wufoo.com/forms/q7b8imo1g0og2v/.

Thanks again for your wonderful and generous support getting 80 Amp L2's into the charging desert of NE Wyoming!

I wonder why Tesla is not pushing this program more. And by 'pushing', I mean just having a link to it on their website somewhere or even mentioning it on the website (and why don't they have a search function for their website?). Finding a link to even find out about the program is virtually impossible unless one is a Tesla zealot like we all are. There are some gaps in Tesla's SC locations for the next couple of years that could be alleviated by getting a few hotels (or even ONE) in these areas to sign up for the Destination Charging program. I'm personally thinking about places like Des Moines, IA (SC in 2016) or between Winnipeg and Calgary (no SCs for the foreseeable future), but I'm sure there are plenty of other gaps around North America that could benefit from this program.

I wonder why Tesla is not pushing this program more. And by 'pushing', I mean just having a link to it on their website somewhere or even mentioning it on the website (and why don't they have a search function for their website?). Finding a link to even find out about the program is virtually impossible unless one is a Tesla zealot like we all are. There are some gaps in Tesla's SC locations for the next couple of years that could be alleviated by getting a few hotels (or even ONE) in these areas to sign up for the Destination Charging program. I'm personally thinking about places like Des Moines, IA (SC in 2016) or between Winnipeg and Calgary (no SCs for the foreseeable future), but I'm sure there are plenty of other gaps around North America that could benefit from this program.

Well, Tesla seems to be mostly focused on destination charging at luxury hotels that have valet service--all way above my pay grade, and no way does a valet drive any of my cars. Very few are usable for en-route charging without staying the night--there are exceptions.

It's true that finding things on their website is very hard. Many other websites have an "own a business" or similar tab where the information pertinent to them would be found.