Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking interior and cold weather.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am getting quite fed up now of the creaks and squeaks in my 7 month and 5500 mile old Model S :(

It might just be my usage, which is warm the car from cold, drive 30 minutes, leave the car sat in the cold all day, then pre heat and drive home. So I guess a fair amount of thermal change. (it's been hovering between 0c-7c here for the last few months, and this seems to have accelerated things.)

It seems to develop a new squeak every day.

Dash, door pillars, roof lining, and last week the driver's seat (I only weigh 80kgs)

I get that it's a quiet car so you can pick up on them more, but am I expecting too much ?

The last advice from the SC was to wait for the weather to warm up, and see if it improves, after they didn't diagnose any faults.

Anyone else suffer the door pillar noise? It's kind of like a ticking and is particularly annoying as I'm 6'3 and have the seat a fair way back. This means my ear is right next to it :(

Thoughts and advice gratefully received.

I too ask the Service Center to look at the squeaks and rattles from time to time, mostly to address the loudest ones. There is a known ticking issue that occurs between the seat belt and the B-pillar (at least on my 2013 vintage), which is remedied by a small strip adhered just below where the seatbelt exits the pillar. I also had a very loud ticking just above my left ear where the headliner meets the door seal, which they were able to reduce (but not eliminate) on my last visit, but not sure what they did. I wonder if we should start a Best Known Methods thread on eliminating Tesla Squeaks and Ticks - our collective wisdom and efforts may be more effective in finding solutions for the fleet. Just an idea.

Thanks for the feedback Uber

The seat belt/ B pillar one does sound very similar. Mine is a RHD car (one of the first) so not sure if this fix was rolled in (May '14 production 377xx).

In my case it happens even when stationary, and even if I try to sit really still it still occasionally ticks :s

I agree a known list of cabin noises, and fixes would really help. Ultimately it's my biggest problem with what is otherwise an amazing car.

One that drove me crazy for a while and took a while to figure out exactly where it was coming from was the headliner above the B-pillar. I thought it was coming from somewhere on the pano roof which is why it was hard to locate. Once I finally figured out where it was, the service center was able to fix it. Here's video of the sound:

Last edited by a moderator:
The only issue I have had was a squeaking driver's seat bottom. Took it in and they said that a bolt's torque was out of spec. They tightened it and no problems since. No other noises that I have noticed and I am obsessed about squeaks and rattles. That B pillar tick would send me right over the edge!

I had my MS in California for a year and all was great. Just moved to the cold weather in Boston and my front left suspension sounds really creaky. This is air suspension. Anyone else have their air suspension creak in the cold? Particularly going over bumps

I had my MS in California for a year and all was great. Just moved to the cold weather in Boston and my front left suspension sounds really creaky. This is air suspension. Anyone else have their air suspension creak in the cold? Particularly going over bumps

My early 2013 car with air has been great. We've had really cold temps (- 15 F the other day) and no issues. Having had air suspension problems on other cars, this was a worry for me since coil suspension wasn't available when I got my car.

The B-pillar seat belt squeak is common. I had it as well. It comes from the very small movement the belt makes going in and out of the slot as you drive. I had mine scheduled for the fix (mentioned above) but by the time I took the car in, the noise had gone away. I figured the rubbing had finally worn away whatever was causing the noise in the slot and I asked Service to cancel the repair. Since it was perfectly quiet now, I didn't want to risk new noises being introduced as a result of them tearing down the B-pillar to install a piece of felt.

Thanks all.

Using your explanation of the fix for the B-Pillar I tried a little experiment on my drive into work today. Grabbing a piece of paper I folded it up and wedged it between the seatbelt and the exit slot.
Noise Fix.JPG

Guess what, problem solved :cool:

Little disappointed as a "known issue" the service centre hadn't just applied this felt strip when I mentioned a ticking from the B Pillar.

I've now got something concrete to go back to them with. Some scrumpled paper doesn't really go with the whole image of the car, and I don't want it getting sucked back into the mechanism :) (In their defense they literally opened a week before my car went in, so they are still learning too)