Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washer fluid / wiper performance question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 85D is a week old and has lived exclusively in snow so far. So I've been dealing with a constantly dirty windshield and constant use of the washer fluid. My problem is - the top half of the windshield, at least on the driver's side, isn't getting clean. The spray isn't going higher than that. How do yours perform? Do I have a defective nozzle?

4QndROH.gif

Thanks, Kalud. That's great news. I was worried they were just a bit lackluster but it sounds like a quick and easy fix!

I still miss my mom's 1994 Cadillac Deville's wipers. The washer fluid was sprayed from the wiper arm itself so it just plowed through any snow, dirt, grime, etc and left the windshield so clean, in one swipe. I don't know why they all aren't like that. It was a thing of beauty.

Thanks, Kalud. That's great news. I was worried they were just a bit lackluster but it sounds like a quick and easy fix!

I still miss my mom's 1994 Cadillac Deville's wipers. The washer fluid was sprayed from the wiper arm itself so it just plowed through any snow, dirt, grime, etc and left the windshield so clean, in one swipe. I don't know why they all aren't like that. It was a thing of beauty.

...a thing of beauty until the small flexible rubber hose failed/froze/cracked.....

I am not happy with the washer jets. My Acura mists the entire screen, making cleaning both less prone to scratching the glass and it cleans pretty much perfectly after 1 wipe. I do have the same problem hat the Op mentioned with the upper part of the screen on my MS not getting clean when I am moving. If I am stopped, I seem to be able to get a much better wipe. I think it needs a redesign. But thanks for the suggestion of repointing the jets. I will give it a try. I just wish I could figure a way for it spray more, rather than simply shoot a blob of fluid into essentially one small place from each jet. I am fortunate in that I do not live in a snowy climate with sand and salt. Did that for way too long!

Are there aftermarket washer spray nozzles? <Googles frantically> Found this thread. Apparently GM stuck with this design, a poster mentions it on his truck. So jealous, honestly, you don't know what you're missing. It's like heaven in a spray nozzle.

I wonder if the needle-nose plier squishing it a bit would create more of a fanned out spray or mist it more than the gush of water it does now. I'll adjust it (or have it adjusted) before I go this route for sure.

We live and drive in a very cold area and are constantly dealing with road spray and salt. We have the same problem as the OP. We have not tried adjusting the nozzles, as we don't live near a service center. The first time the car is at one I'll ask to have them adjusted, but I fear the "blob" problem will persist, resulting in far more washer fluid being used, and a still ineffective cleaning of the windshield.

As for the blades themselves, I am optimistic that thanks to better blades ordered based on information found in the following thread, the windshield may wind up somewhat cleaner.

P85D wiper blades

I ordered these blades, but have not yet installed them.

My car is brand new and the wipers possible stink. But as I've said it might just be the washer nozzles. But I wanted to add I do have the newest of new cars so if my wiper performance isn't great the new wipers aren't solving the problem.

I agree. Chrysler products of that era used them as well. They worked for me even in the deep freeze of Canadian winters, but the trick was to use the best washer fluid you could buy and to give them a little squirt every once in a while, even if you don't need to clean the glass. If you left them for a long time either the alcohol would evaporate or water would migrate up the lines causing them to freeze. Well worth it to get the uniform spray coverage.

The new cars are being delivered with Bosch wipers. I just changed to those and it is much better.

Here are links to the ones that fit:

Bosch 28OE ICON Wiper Blade, 28-Inch (Pack of 1): Amazon.ca: Automotive

Bosch 18OE ICON Wiper Blade - 18 (Pack of 1): Amazon.ca: Automotive

My car is brand new and the wipers possible stink. But as I've said it might just be the washer nozzles. But I wanted to add I do have the newest of new cars so if my wiper performance isn't great the new wipers aren't solving the problem.

As per posts in the thread I linked to upthread, the wiper blades on the new cars are made by Bosch, but are not the Bosch Icon blades. A poster in that thread swapped out his new Bosch blades for Bosch Icon blades and saw a substantial difference.

I assume these are only for newer models. Amazon says they do not fit my 2012.

I'm fairly certain the blades will fit your car. The same blades referenced in this thread are referenced in several older threads, dating pretty far back. Do some searching just to be safe.

For what it's worth, Amazon also says one of them won't fit my car, which is a new P85D.

I personally think the wipers are OK. There are probably better ones out there, but so far, mine have been OK (car bought in Norway in May 2014).

What is defenitely rubbish is the washer nozzles. Why in hell did they not choose to install those nozzles that spray a mist over the whole windshield? That's the best!

Anyone knows if the nozzles can be replaced by ones that spray mist?

Mine were and are as the OP described.

Have gone through at least 3 gallons of fluid in 9 weeks. Service appointment this week to replace the wipers, hopefully adjust them so that *all* of the driver's side is cleaned, and to adjust the spray pattern and volume.

Does not inspire confidence. Hopefully Service can once again save the day.