Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Feature request thread - (to be seen by Tesla Motors and perhaps acted upon.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A place to post your wish list of things you'd like to see included in the Model X. (Some day.)

It is probably too late for any additional features to be added on the first release of the Model X, but Tesla does have a habit of adding wanted features later on, so why not let your wishes be known?

1. I would like a Tesla branded LED flashlight that runs on Tesla battery technology that can recharge through a built in holder, maybe a small battery powered vacuum cleaner.

2. I'd like to see Tesla go crazy with the interior lighting by using lots of color changing LEDs, use LED lights wherever they can, especially since they use less power.

3. Some sort of provision to make it easier to mount a Radar detector. The ideal location for a detector mounting location would be under a small blister bump on top of the roof. The higher a radar detector is mounted the sooner it can pick up a signal over hilly terrain.

4. Built in Dash cam functionality.

5. Cargo option, interior maximized for carrying capacity, no rear seats at all, rear floor made as flat as possible.

6. Performance monitor shows G forces, 0 to 60 times, etc, on the cars display.

7. HUD display.

3. Some sort of provision to make it easier to mount a Radar detector. The ideal location for a detector mounting location would be under a small blister bump on top of the roof. The higher a radar detector is mounted the sooner it can pick up a signal over hilly terrain.

I would prefer to have both the RADAR/Laser detector and a Dash cam (front and rear) built into the car natively at the factory, whether standard or as an option package.

But my first feature request is for the Model X to actually be delivered!!!

Tesla battery technology for a flashlight? not for me. That seems like overkill.

LED lights, well, sure. Model S uses those. color changing? whatever. The 787 is a neat plane, I'll give you that. still not high on my list of desires, though.

A roof is a terrible place for a laser detector/shifter since those are aimed at license plates or headlights. and while I'd love to have a laser shifter in a Model X, they're illegal nearly everywhere, and I don't want to give folks a new excuse to hate Teslas. I agree it would be nice to make it easy to install a custom radar/laser detector, but I think it would be poor form to advertise that. It should just be one of the things that makes owners happy after they buy.

Dash cams on the other hand seem like a good idea. If Tesla offered that as an option, I probably would have bought it.

Removable seats and fold flat certainly sounds like a good goal.

Performance would be entertaining, but I fear again that could lose some good will people currently have toward Tesla.

I have no opinion about a HUD.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The thing that I'd most like in Model X is a way that I can customize my own touchscreen.
I want to make my own app or web page that has all of my favorite stations: Slacker, FM (more than 6 presets), and AM all accessible with a button. I want fan speed on that screen. I want a weather widget on that screen. I'm not sure what else I want, but my point is, I want to be able to customize it myself. or even better, I want to pay $1 to get a great interface from some other Tesla driver.

As a model S owner, some things that I think could really stand to be improved are:
quietness and effectiveness of climate control (fan is way too loud for amount of air it moves).
the sensing of the key in my pocket (I should never get to door without handles extended, even if I walk to the car from the back with a cellphone in the same pocket as the key).

A place to post your wish list of things you'd like to see included in the Model X. (Some day.)

It is probably too late for any additional features to be added on the first release of the Model X, but Tesla does have a habit of adding wanted features later on, so why not let your wishes be known?

1. I would like a Tesla branded LED flashlight that runs on Tesla battery technology that can recharge through a built in holder, maybe a small battery powered vacuum cleaner.

2. I'd like to see Tesla go crazy with the interior lighting by using lots of color changing LEDs, use LED lights wherever they can, especially since they use less power.

5. Cargo option, interior maximized for carrying capacity, no rear seats at all, rear floor made as flat as possible.

6. Performance monitor shows G forces, 0 to 60 times, etc, on the cars display.

7. HUD display.

I like the HUD idea. They should have it be adjustable (up/down, larger/smaller), similar to what other car manufacturers have done.

Also may be have the front camera in the front bumper, as some have already done that as modifications to their cars.

Other items I'd like to see:

1. Wireless charging. Perhaps Tesla can work with Plugless Power to come out with a high efficiency wireless charging system for the Model X and other future cars. More info here: Wireless Electric Vehicle Charging - Plugless Power by Evatran.

2. Favorite contact selection (more of a software item): Just select from the steering wheel one of your favorite contacts, out of 15 favorite contacts maximum.

3. Enhanced voice recognition. Example: I press the voice recognition button and say "Call Jake", and the car calls Jake without me having to tap the screen and confirm.

Maybe we should wait and start this thread a few months from now to make sure it is even more actionable.

Yep. I'd say the features are pretty much locked down at this point (hope so!). Last thing I'd like is Tesla stopping forward momentum and going backwards to add features.

Perhaps folks can think more along the lines of 'future iterations of the vehicle'.

Yep. I'd say the features are pretty much locked down at this point (hope so!). Last thing I'd like is Tesla stopping forward momentum and going backwards to add features.

Perhaps folks can think more along the lines of 'future iterations of the vehicle'.

You would have to start making feature requests right now in order to be considered for the next generation vehicle several years from now, because of the development lead time. So delaying this thread would defeat its purpose and you will be caught in a never ending loop.

Some commenters are missing my remarks in my initial post,
(It is probably too late for any additional features to be added on the first release of the Model X, but Tesla does have a habit of adding wanted features later on, so why not let your wishes be known?)

... but Tesla does have a habit of adding wanted features later on...

Tesla has a habit of adding features, but not necessarily because of customer requests - like most tech companies, I would expect they have a roadmap that covers most upcoming planned features.

Note I didn't say 'all' - I'm sure that when things are learned about how the cars are used by a large population, that causes some changes in priorities and probably has added a feature or two. But y'know just because we asked for it here on the forum and then we see it show up a few months later, it's not necessarily because we all said 'wouldn't it be great if?'. It's more likely that the feature was already under development.

But it's nice when everyone is in agreement :).

The thing that I'd most like in Model X is a way that I can customize my own touchscreen.
I want to make my own app or web page that has all of my favorite stations: Slacker, FM (more than 6 presets), and AM all accessible with a button. I want fan speed on that screen. I want a weather widget on that screen. I'm not sure what else I want, but my point is, I want to be able to customize it myself. or even better, I want to pay $1 to get a great interface from some other Tesla driver.

Absolutely -- A Tesla Display Construction Set. There are a number of custom graphs I'd love to have on the screen. The nice thing is, this isn't dependent on a production line or physical design deadlines.

Wish list for my Model X

Traffic avoidance system. No, not just some traffic information.... I want the car to know there is a delay, tell me about it, then send signal to its minions to get all those cars out of my way.

Poodle Pampering seats. My three Standards are the reason for the X vice the S, lets make it worth while!

Food delivery or Restaurant selection assistance. Come on, we all hate the discussion on where we are going to stop for food.

DDD system. Dumb Driver Disabling System. Just point it at the car near you and poof.....

Under the rear seat cooler for those long trips. Oh wait -- maybe that is already planned.
Poodle Pampering seats. My three Standards are the reason for the X vice the S, lets make it worth while!
You are obligated to post a pic or they don't exist.

(My Toy Poodle doesn't take up as much room.)
1a9925a9437f8ea552b6cc91031f45a0.jpg