Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you leave a S 85 unplugged for 14 days?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I left mine unplugged for that long at a friends house while on a trip last month. Lost ~1.5 miles per day. No problem. I have sleep activated always in power management. Average temperature was in the 40's, and I only woke the car up once in the two weeks to check on it.

I return home Friday and my car will have been parked for 33 days. It's in underground parking in Vancouver, so I didn't give it much thought before leaving. I'll post again if I have any issues once I'm home. FWIW, while in Nicaragua and Costa Rica, I have been looking forward to my Supercharged drive from Vancouver to Edmonton in April. I'll take a day of driving through the mountains in my S85 over a day at the beach.

Is there an "ideal temperature" to leave the car at, not too hot and not too cold, to minimize vampire drain the most? Obviously in real life you can't control the weather, but was wondering who that lives in a certain climate/has access to a heated garage would have the least vampire loss.

Oh, any typical room temperature is fine.

Below freezing, you're going to lose a lot more energy. Below about 0 F, you'll lose even more. There's also a "too high" temperature, but I don't remember what it is.

I am not comfortable leaving my car for longer than overnight unplugged outdoors at below-0 temperatures in faraway lots (airports, train stations) for fear that I won't have enough charge to get home. But unless that's your plan, don't worry about it.

Well, I only ever park outside (no home charging) and it's been quite cold here lately in Boston :) I regularly leave her unplugged outside for a week at a time in sub freezing temps. (Vamp drain is usually 5-7 a day, sometimes 10). I do use the app often to check on her tho and for obvious reasons I can't turn mobile off to save energy. I don't get worried unless she's under 50 miles, in which case I take her for a spin to the nearest HPWC ( 20 miles away unfortunately).

If you can, always leave it plugged in. If not and you are lucky enough, make sure you have enough charge to lose 1% of the battery every day in mild climates while leaving what you need until the next charge. I don't know all the facts about very cold temps, but I would expect a loss of 4-5% per day to be expected.

Mine tops off for a brief period about every other day when plugged in (and when left in deep sleep with no awakenings from the phone app). When the 12V battery is at the end of it's life the car may start topping off more frequently. Tesla keeps an eye on this and usually can get you a new 12V before it goes completely dead.

In an ideal world, if you could have the car park at 74degrees. At this temperature, it wouldn't require cooling or heating of the battery.
If I recall, on youtube Bjørn Nyland once left his car pack in the cold for an extensive amount of time and came back will plenty of battery life. I assume his car is an earlier production number as well.

The primary topic of the thread is if you can leave a TESLA model S unplugged for 14days or more.. I would say absolutely.

Cheers

Is there an "ideal temperature" to leave the car at, not too hot and not too cold, to minimize vampire drain the most? Obviously in real life you can't control the weather, but was wondering who that lives in a certain climate/has access to a heated garage would have the least vampire loss.