Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Consumer Reports" Again Makes The Tesla Model S Its Top Car Pick

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I think it'd lag behind production changers. I think it was one of the recent conference calls where they mentioned wanting to have an order of magnitude better reliability than other brands, and was curious if any progress had been made, but probably too early to tell.

Interesting that no BMW or Mercedes made the list, nor did CR select a winner in the pickup truck category. For the record, Tesla's share prices didn't react at all to this news.

Indeed, this is a VERY strange list which raises several questions:

1) Such a lot of Japanese models? Their reliability has gone down for years. And as for value for money, the Koreans have by far overtaken them.
2) A Chevrolet on that list? Chevy models were so crappy that sales went to the bottom of the pile. End: GM stopped selling them over here (apart from the 'Vette).
3) The A6 a "luxury car"? The A6 is in the category "upper middle class" over here. Like the 5-series or E-Class. Luxury car is A8, S-Class, 7-series, etc.
4) Top Green Car the Toyota Prius? Laughable. Wouldn't Model S top that category as well? And what about far better green cars like the Leaf, i3 or e-Golf? The Prius is no match for any of them in any category.

Highly questionable choices imho.
Only good point is indeed the Model S winning for the second year running.

The Model S can't win top green car because it already won top honors and by definition would have beaten cars in multiple categories. The Prius only got a 75/100 after all (don't understand why LEAF didn't win instead tho).

I have no opinions on gas cars anymore so I can't speak to the other choices.

The Model S can't win top green car because it already won top honors and by definition would have beaten cars in multiple categories. The Prius only got a 75/100 after all (don't understand why LEAF didn't win instead tho).

I'd guess it was the lack of range factor. If you can't do a full commute without a charge...

Haven't read/watched yet, but I thought last year they held back 1 point due to "lack" of charging infrastructure. I thought the fairly aggressive Supercharger rollout would have addressed that.

SuperCharger coverage has much improved, but it will take a year or two to cover most North American routes. They are not as fast or ubiquitous as gas stations, so they are less convenient. They are plenty fast enough and "free" so they will be better than gas stations in the future, but not today.

GSP

I have no opinions on gas cars anymore so I can't speak to the other choices.

You mean once a model has won any category (A) it is automatically demoted to being ranked lower than all other cars in other categories (X) that were also nominated for category A?

Seems like this would skew the results quite heavily. Makes it less fair, not more.

You mean once a model has won any category (A) it is automatically demoted to being ranked lower than all other cars in other categories (X) that were also nominated for category A?

Seems like this would skew the results quite heavily. Makes it less fair, not more.
I agree, it should be like dog shows: one dog wins Best in Breed, Best in Class, and Best in Show. Winning Best in Show doesn't strip the dog of its Best in Breed and Best in Class awards.

That said, I think CR makes it clear that the Model S is the best car available today, so the A6 and Prius are effectively in second place behind it. But it bugs me that Audi will be able to claim that it is the top luxury car, even when it lags far behind the Model S by CR's own scoring.