Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla reportedly raises the model S price to $75,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Darryl Siry, Tesla Motors has announced that the model S will sell for $75,000 before incentives, an increase of $17,600 from the $57,400 price originally announced.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/08/tesla-subsidy-vanishing-amid-electric-vehicle-boom/

Now even though this is coming from Darryl Siry, I must still take it with caution, as this is the only article I've seen which mentions the alleged price change, and I wonder if it might be a mistake considering that the price of the Roadster in Europe is £75,000 ($109,000 USD).

Here's the line with the $75k figure:

The Model S, which Tesla tells analysts will have an average selling price of about $75,000...

It's the average price, not the starting price. I don't know what options the Model S will have but ~$18k in options, on average, is a bit too high in my opinion.

As a comparison, according to this post by TEG, a fully-optioned Roadster, minus the Sport package, would add ~$20k in options. Unless Tesla is planning to have some really extensive (or expensive) options for Model S I don't see the "average" Model S having ~$18k in options.

Last edited:
The price average "increase" of a well equipped Model S doesn't really surprise me as I was expecting this. If Siry is correct, I'm sure this is the price with the 300 mile pack, 20" wheels, panoramic roof, electronic door handles, 3G, etc...

Nevertheless, I'm a bit nervous as to what Model S Sport's price will / may come up to if we're somewhere around $75 - $80K for the standard model.

The price average "increase" of a well equipped Model S doesn't really surprise me as I was expecting this. If Siry is correct, I'm sure this is the price with the 300 mile pack, 20" wheels, panoramic roof, electronic door handles, 3G, etc...

Nevertheless, I'm a bit nervous as to what Model S Sport's price will / may come up to if we're somewhere around $75 - $80K for the standard model.

The Roadster Sport is a $19,500 upgrade and includes Performance upgrades that cost $6,300 to add to a non-Sport Roadster.

Along those lines Tesla might have several "trim" levels for the Model S that include things like the larger battery packs, different wheels, premium paint and, possibly, upgraded interior.

Depending on the uptake rate for the upgraded battery packs, and their cost, Siry's estimate could be even be a bit low :eek:.

I'm sure both the 300 mile packs and AWD will qualify as expensive options. Unfortunately I need both ;)

True, I forgot about the AWD mainly because I haven't heard a lot about it since the Model S unveiling. The more I think about it I'll definitely want AWD (as long as it proves to be decent) and a 230-mile pack to ensure I have plenty of range during the winter.

According to Darryl Siry, Tesla Motors has announced that the model S will sell for $75,000 before incentives, an increase of $17,600 from the $57,400 price originally announced.
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/08/tesla-subsidy-vanishing-amid-electric-vehicle-boom/

The way you are phrasing it is kind of misleading. The way the article says it seems to make it clear it is talking about average price. This average price was in the IPO roadshow (it was in a graph).

In a bit of back-and-forth with a Tesla sales rep about six months ago, I was told that a Model S Signature Edition would be "around $75k." IIRC, the Signature Edition "S" comes fully loaded, less the long-range battery pack. If that $75k estimate still holds good, the Sig Ed folks could be getting a pretty good deal, vs. those ordering all the options from a menu...

In a bit of back-and-forth with a Tesla sales rep about six months ago, I was told that a Model S Signature Edition would be "around $75k." IIRC, the Signature Edition "S" comes fully loaded, less the long-range battery pack. If that $75k estimate still holds good, the Sig Ed folks could be getting a pretty good deal, vs. those ordering all the options from a menu...

Yeah. I was told last week by a sales person in Chicago that the Signature Model S will come with the 230 mile pack. The 300 mile pack may not be available at launch but maybe as a prorated upgrade when it came out.

It's the average price, not the starting price. I don't know what options the Model S will have but ~$18k in options, on average, is a bit too high in my opinion.

As a comparison, according to this post by TEG, a fully-optioned Roadster, minus the Sport package, would add ~$20k in options. Unless Tesla is planning to have some really extensive (or expensive) options for Model S I don't see the "average" Model S having ~$18k in options.

Price out a Mercedes Benz . Even their least expensive models have options tallying in at more than $12k and most of those options do nothing for the car (operational wise). I think that most of that 18k will probably be made up of the 300 mile battery pack. Let's not forget awd and luxury features.

Edit* Just for comparison, I went and priced out a MB E550, it starts out at the same price as the Model S (57k) and with the majority of options surpasses more than 20k in addition to the base price (4matic, panaroma sunroof, Navigation, 18 inch wheels, keyless ignition, review camera etc)

Last edited:
Just for comparison, I went and priced out a MB E550, it starts out at the same price as the Model S (57k) and with the majority of options surpasses more than 20k in addition to the base price (4matic, panaroma sunroof, Navigation, 18 inch wheels, keyless ignition, review camera etc)

That might be a bit better comparison. I guess it's all going to depend on what features come standard on the Model S and what doesn't.

missed this thread as the new site format throws me off, but I can see that people will buy these options, but saying "average" (I guess not to be confused with "mean") sort of implies in my mind that the options will pretty much be stuff you NEED and that you can even go above that number on options...

As for Darryl, is it me, or is he hot on Tesla misreporting lately?

Sounds like the author may have factored in a battery replacement in that "average" price.

In one of the videos that I saw, Elon mentioned that Model S will come with a sport version that will do not 5.6 from 0 to 60 but 4 somthing sec., so it might be it!!!

I recall prices fo $8-10k per battery upgrade being thrown around by various media sources. This combined with some of the existing roadster options and its not hard to see spending an extra $20k.

Roadster Options
$150 Floor mats
$400 Solarplus Windshield
$600 120V/15 Amp Mobile Connector
$1000 Metallic Paint
$1495 Paint Armor
$1500 240V/30 Amp Mobile Connector
$1800 Premium Seats -Inc: Perforated Leather, Embroidered Logo
$2000 Premium Paint
$3000 High Power Connector
$3000 Electronics Group -Inc
$3200 Body Color Hard Top
$5000 Clear Coat Carbon Fiber Hard Top
$5000 Extended Warranty -Inc: Additional 2-Years/24,000 Miles
$6000 Executive Leather Interior (N/A W/Premium Seats)
$9000 Clear Carbon Fiber Accent Group
$9000 Premium Carbon Fiber & Leather Interior (N/A W/Premium Seats)
$12000 Battery Replacement

In one of the videos that I saw, Elon mentioned that Model S will come with a sport version that will do not 5.6 from 0 to 60 but 4 somthing sec., so it might be it!!!

That's some interesting news about the Model S Sport, do you by any chance remember which video it was? I'm dying for more MSS news. If a well equipped S comes just under $80K I hope the sport version won't be encroaching onto the $100K mark, but I think I'll have to start planning for that possibility.

That's some interesting news about the Model S Sport, do you by any chance remember which video it was? I'm dying for more MSS news. If a well equipped S comes just under $80K I hope the sport version won't be encroaching onto the $100K mark, but I think I'll have to start planning for that possibility.

Exactly. I originally wanted the 300 mi battery but might have to pass and get the 230 mi battery.

Another concern of mine is having to buy high power wall connector, and the universal mobile connector. Those combined will add another 5k to the price.

All and all I expect to spend an additional 10-15k in chargers and an upgraded battery depending on how much they run. The rest of the options arent really necessary for me. I can do with out the panoramic roof, AWD, premium rims...etc.

So after everything Im think ill probably be spending 60-65k, after the tax incentive.

Does anybody know if the high power wall connector is necessary or would one be able to get by with just the universal connector?